Bought computer that had two hard drives

rangernick

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2003
I bought this computer that had two hard drives one drive being 15 GB and the other 90 GB, but it came with windows and everything installed on the 15 so my question is why would they put it on the smaller drive and how can i transfer eveything to the bigger one so that I dont have to worry about filling up my smaller drive and having it run slower?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Hello,

Do you have Partition Magic? If you do you might just try moving/resizing partitions on the big drive, and then copying it over, switching the cabling and jumpers might be required too. Might depend on the operating system though. Wait for some guru's to answer you. BTW I've done this successfully with Windows 98 but not the more recent Windows stuff. Supplying the OS name for people might be important.

The loving are the daring!

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
15GB should be more than enough for the OS and regular progs. The bigger drive is best left for storing data such as video files which are usually very big in size.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Are the RPM on the drives the same?
Can you tell at boot up what kind of drives these are?
(brand, letters and numbers for the type, ATA support?).
Might help determining which is the faster drive

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maxtor's MaxBlast Plus works perfectly for coppying a partition and resizing it to fit, and it's free for download.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
He's not dealing with partitions I think, appears to be two physical drives.

Regardless however, if you have a 15g & 90g drives, I would probally do exactly what he did, put my windows os / essentials on the first drive and install all my games/music/whatever on the second drive. This would make the computer function a fair ammount faster... especially if the primary drive is a 7200 rpm.

Anywho, my .02.

Shadus

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Thanks Crashman, I'll add it to my knowledge base.

And looking up the drives in case one was a 5400 and the other a 7200 had in mind to see which if any was a faster drive and if it would be worthwhile transfering the OS to the faster drive.

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Why don't you just leave it like that and anything you need to store like music or video or documents on the bigger drive? In case of os crash you can just reinstall os and no problem of losing what's on the second drive.