Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't select 1440x900 resolution

Last response: in Windows 7
July 11, 2012 7:10:09 PM

I run a gt200, and windows 7 32 bit pro. One morning, about a week ago, I turned on my computer and I thought it was in low graphics mode. Reseated the GPU and nothing changed. Then I noticed Aero themes was still working and found out my resolution was changed to 1024x768. 1440x900 is the native resolution for my monitor, and when I tried to change it back it wasn't an option under screen resolutions in the control panel. 1440x900 also isn't an option in any of the games that I have tried. First thing I did was restore a windows backup from a few days ago and that didn't do anything, then I tried forcing 1440x900 with the Nvidia control panel and that made it look even worse. Then I tried rolling back my GPU update and rebooting, which didn't do anything either. Right now I run 1280x960, which is alright unless I'm playing a game, then it looks messed up and bother me. What else could I do to get my monitor back to 1440x900, after a week of this I'm very annoyed now :fou: 
July 11, 2012 7:38:16 PM

I discovered that under monitor properties, the manufacture just says (Standard Monitor types) I've tried to find a driver, but the one from the Hanns G website doesn't do anything when I extract it and try and run it. I'm I suppose to just put the .imf file somewhere?

Here is my monitor: http://www.hannsg.com/PH/EN/Products/19%20Wide/Common.a...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 7:55:09 PM

It sounds more like a driver issue with your graphics card, have you tried updating to the latest version?

What version are you currently using?

Also which input are you using? VGA, or DVI? VGA can go up to high resolutions, but aren't really supported above 640x480, even though it would work, it wouldn't work optimally.

It could possibly be even your RAMDAC that might be going/screwing up if your using VGA.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 7:56:59 PM

Are you running off the dvi connection? VGA has a hard time with resolutions sometimes. You should also try reinstalling the latest nvidia driver, either the stable or the beta 304.79.
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:02:14 PM

Like I said I tried updating the Nvidia drivers (301.42), and it didn't do anything so I recently rolled them back. Yes I am using VGA and always have been.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 8:05:32 PM

What exact drivers are you using currently, and what drivers did you try?

Do you have a spare VGA cable laying around to test out with?

Does your graphics card have a DVI output? If so can you try connecting your GPU to your LCD screen via DVI instead of VGA?
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:07:11 PM

Chainzsaw said:
What exact drivers are you using currently, and what drivers did you try?

Do you have a spare VGA cable laying around to test out with?

Does your graphics card have a DVI output? If so can you try connecting your GPU to your LCD screen via DVI instead of VGA?

I don't have a DVI cable or a spare VGA, I guess I could try to steal the one from my brothers computer if he is ever not on it and see if it makes a difference.
Right now I'm using 8.17.12.9573, 2/9/2012 drivers, I rolled them back under gt220 properties.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 8:11:20 PM

It could very well be a sign your graphics card is going down the tubes if none of those fix the issue.

It is a very old GPU now.
July 11, 2012 8:20:25 PM

Chainzsaw said:
It could very well be a sign your graphics card is going down the tubes if none of those fix the issue.

It is a very old GPU now.

yes but i bought it from my friend who bought it, probably only two years ago. I am trying to come up with money for either a gtx 560 or radeon 6870. Probably go with a Radeon with if I can't get this fixed by then.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2012 8:29:25 PM

You bought it off a friend? How long did he have it? 1 year in a GPU's lifecycle is compareable to 10 years for a human.
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:41:15 PM

Chainzsaw said:
You bought it off a friend? How long did he have it? 1 year in a GPU's lifecycle is compareable to 10 years for a human.

He had it for six months, and I have had it for about 6 months.
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:00:50 AM

Yeah try to borrow a dvi cable and see if that works with the latest nvidia driver. If it doesn't I would have to assume that your card is dying, it may be that your friend was overclocking and took some life off of it. A year of gpu oc is like 10 years of a human chain smoking. :) 
m
l
July 13, 2012 2:53:49 AM

Well I got a hold of a new VGA cable, rebooted, switched it out, no change. Not really supprised though. Guess I'll wait until I can afford a new GPU, I'll probably go with something cheaper now like a Gtx 460 or Radeon 7770, so I can try that out earlier and hope it is just my crappy GPU's fault. I was just playing Starcraft 2 and when I shut it down I released that i wasn't even bothered by my messed up resolution anymore, so WHEN it gets fixed it should look excellent instead of normal at this point.

Unless anyone has any other weird stuff for me to try, I'm out of ideas for anything else to do.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 4:53:22 AM

Is there another computer close by? What you could try doing is seeing if you can set the native resolution on another computer (with your lcd screen). Who knows, maybe your lcd is the one going out.

Another thing you can try is shut down your computer, and re-seat your graphics card.
If you do this, make sure to unplug the computer from the wall.
m
l
July 13, 2012 5:37:54 PM

Reseating my GPU was the first thing I did, I do have a laptop, maybe I'll try plugging my monitor into that some time.
m
l
July 16, 2012 3:34:39 AM

Best answer selected by Mace200200.
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:17:55 PM

Hi,
I changed my d-sub/dvi monitor adapter (i gave it the old but working one to my friend and i bought a new one) and i faced with similar problems. The 1440x900 (native) resoulution had gone (on win 7). I borrowed back the old adapter and the monitor worked well. The two d-sub/dvi adapter not have the same pins, so maybe that's the problem (for me). I hope i helped (and sorry for my english).
Good luck!
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:14:51 PM

Oh yea, I ended up fixing this long ago, I think I asked this before I used a DVI cable, it fixed the resolution on my new GPU, then there were green pixels following things all over the place. My friend, who I bought the monitor from, came over and just give me another one. No problems since then.
m
l
May 1, 2013 8:49:40 AM

HI i have the same problem....my monitor is a samsung syncmaster 920nw and previously i have no problem displaying 1440x900... i have also updated to the latest drivers for my nvidia gt240 graphic card... and i read somewhere that it might be my EDID chip in the monitor that was fried up during power surcharge or something....

I did an experiment by connecting my monitor to my laptop...it will still detect as a generic non-php monitor but this time i get to select the 1440x900 resolution...hence i cant decide it is whether my graphic card is at fault or my monitor is going to die soon.... anyone have an idea here??
m
l
May 1, 2013 1:36:27 PM

After my monitor did this is started to die shortly after. So I had it under my desk doing nothing for like 6 months. I gave it back to my friend and it works perfectly now. The only thing I can think of is that I had a bad power cable in it. So for you, I would try switching out both cables for new ones.
m
l
!