Audio Interfaces for 5 1/2" drive bay

Last response: in Home Audio
June 8, 2005 5:37:00 PM

I'm building a DAW strictly for portable use. I'd like to install an
audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any
more?

~Avery
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:45:44 PM

averydarkplace wrote ...
> I'm building a DAW strictly for portable use. I'd like to install an
> audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
> bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
> more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any

Seems unlikely that any of the "good" sound cards are packged with
a drive-bay panel. Fortunately, you can buy a good sound card and
a generic drive-bay panel to achieve what you are seeking. For example...
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BAYONEEXT&cat=C...
just a random example. Likely many others.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:45:26 AM

In article <1118263020.716474.95150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> averydarkplace@yahoo.com writes:

> I'd like to install an
> audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
> bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
> more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any
> more?

Well, there's a SoundBlaster Audigy, but I wouldn't recommend that
based on the way they work. I don't think you'll find anything
seriously "pro" in that configuration because it's mostly attractive
to the home user.

The Echo Mia, if you need only 2 channels, isn't bad, and it has 1/4"
phone jacks on the rear mounting bracket. At least that gets you away
from a breakout box or squid cable.

June 9, 2005 9:48:17 AM

<averydarkplace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm building a DAW strictly for portable use. I'd like to install an
> audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
> bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
> more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any
> more?

Seems to me I recently saw an item about just such a gadget in Radio World.
Unfortunately, I pitched the issue. Check with some broadcast suppliers like
BSW or Full Compass Systems.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:59:37 PM

In article <BKQpe.919496$w62.411750@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

> Seems to me I recently saw an item about just such a gadget in Radio World.
> Unfortunately, I pitched the issue. Check with some broadcast suppliers like
> BSW or Full Compass Systems.

I think I know which one you're talking about, but I can't find the
literature on it. I saw it at a booth at either the last NY AES show
or NAMM show, among a bunch of stuff coming from Australia. Not a
household name, and I got the impression that it was really intended
as a consumer multimedia gadget rather than a real pro audio gadget.

June 9, 2005 6:02:58 PM

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll just get a good audio card and
then make something to fit the drive bay out of parts from Radio Shack.

~ Avery

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1118263020.716474.95150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> averydarkplace@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > I'd like to install an
> > audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
> > bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
> > more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any
> > more?
>
> Well, there's a SoundBlaster Audigy, but I wouldn't recommend that
> based on the way they work. I don't think you'll find anything
> seriously "pro" in that configuration because it's mostly attractive
> to the home user.
>
> The Echo Mia, if you need only 2 channels, isn't bad, and it has 1/4"
> phone jacks on the rear mounting bracket. At least that gets you away
> from a breakout box or squid cable.

June 10, 2005 1:29:59 PM

Good idea. I'm just starting to explore IC stuff. Your idea of building
a headphone amp is great.

Regards,
~Avery
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:36:15 PM

> Thanks for the information. I guess I'll just get a good audio card and
> then make something to fit the drive bay out of parts from Radio Shack.

FWIW I made a headphone amp (5532 and vol control) with wires tacked off the
back of my soundcard, and +/- 12v PSU connections, with a bit of PSU
decoupling. Guess you could put a set of i/o connectors on there just as
easily.

geoff
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:44:59 PM

avery wrote:

> I'm building a DAW strictly for portable use. I'd like to install an
> audio card that has a breakout box that will fit in a 5 1/2" CD-Rom
> bay. The old Yamaha DSP Factory was one of these, but I want something
> more recent and preferably good. Does anyone make such an item any
> more?

Rolls used to make one of those. Maybe they still do.

--
ha
!