Laptop audio problems

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 5:21:24 AM

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (1.7GHz, 512Mb, 60Mb HD 7200 rpm)
that has a digital audio out with a minijack connector. This same connector
also functions as an analog headphone output. Using a Sony minijack to
optical cable that is an accessory to their portable DATs, I can get digital
audio out from the Toshiba to a number of different DACs. Now I got this
Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX external soundcard that has an optical input. The
problem is that there seems to be no signal from the laptop to the Audigy.
Of course the Audigy also has USB 2 connection but the laptop does not and
the USB 1 is not fast enough for the device to work properly. Anyone have
any idea what could be going on here?

Cheers,

Margaret

More about : laptop audio problems

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 9:06:40 PM

"Margaret von B." <margaretvonbremovethis@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o QMpe.36846$j51.22847@tornado.texas.rr.com...

> The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (1.7GHz, 512Mb, 60Mb HD 7200
rpm)
> that has a digital audio out with a minijack connector. This same
connector
> also functions as an analog headphone output. Using a Sony minijack to
> optical cable that is an accessory to their portable DATs, I can get
digital
> audio out from the Toshiba to a number of different DACs. Now I got this
> Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX external soundcard that has an optical input. The
> problem is that there seems to be no signal from the laptop to the Audigy.
> Of course the Audigy also has USB 2 connection but the laptop does not and
> the USB 1 is not fast enough for the device to work properly. Anyone have
> any idea what could be going on here?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Margaret

From your description of the laptops specs it seems odd that you don't have
usb 2.0 support. Assuming that the 1.7 GHz chip is a Pentium "M", a
Satellite with a 60MB HDD and 512 MB of RAM seems like a newer machine and
should support USB 2.0. BTW, I'm not 100% sure but I think that the Hard
Disk in that machine is actually running at 4200 rpm not 7200. None of the
Satellite series machines have 7200 rpm drives.

What OS are you running? It will most likely be the determining factor on
USB 2.0 support, not your machine.

What is the model number of the unit?

J.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 10:58:13 PM

Note to the OP: while you're getting us the notebook model number, look in
the device manager and get us the model of the hard drive.

Also expand the USB Controller section. There will be one listed as "USB2
Enhanced Host Controller" if it has USB2.

If this is a 1.7GHz P4, it's an older machine and may not have USB2. Most if
not all of the "M" machines I've seen have USB2.

The drive could very well be 7200rpm. Some models could be ordered with the
faster drive. (60GB was the largest capacity in 2.5" 7200rpm drives last
time I checked)

C.

"James Buhler" <jbuhler"diespammers"@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> "Margaret von B." <margaretvonbremovethis@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o QMpe.36846$j51.22847@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>

>> The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (1.7GHz, 512Mb, 60Mb HD 7200
> rpm)
>> that has a digital audio out with a minijack connector. This same
> connector
>> also functions as an analog headphone output. Using a Sony minijack to
>> optical cable that is an accessory to their portable DATs, I can get
> digital
>> audio out from the Toshiba to a number of different DACs. Now I got this
>> Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX external soundcard that has an optical input.
>> The
>> problem is that there seems to be no signal from the laptop to the
>> Audigy.
>> Of course the Audigy also has USB 2 connection but the laptop does not
>> and
>> the USB 1 is not fast enough for the device to work properly. Anyone have
>> any idea what could be going on here?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Margaret
>>

> From your description of the laptops specs it seems odd that you don't
> have
> usb 2.0 support. Assuming that the 1.7 GHz chip is a Pentium "M", a
> Satellite with a 60MB HDD and 512 MB of RAM seems like a newer machine and
> should support USB 2.0. BTW, I'm not 100% sure but I think that the Hard
> Disk in that machine is actually running at 4200 rpm not 7200. None of the
> Satellite series machines have 7200 rpm drives.
>
> What OS are you running? It will most likely be the determining factor
> on
> USB 2.0 support, not your machine.
>
> What is the model number of the unit?
>
> J.

a b D Laptop
June 10, 2005 6:54:57 AM

Hi guys,

The computer is a Satellite 5105-S607. It is a P4 processor and it is a few
years old.The HD is a Toshiba MK6022GAX.

Thanks for your help guys. Arny Krueger told me that it is probably a SCMS
issue with the Blaster. You agree?

Cheers,

Margaret

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
news:o cydnU3VTL0YVDXfRVn-gw@rogers.com...
> Note to the OP: while you're getting us the notebook model number, look in
> the device manager and get us the model of the hard drive.
>
> Also expand the USB Controller section. There will be one listed as "USB2
> Enhanced Host Controller" if it has USB2.
>
> If this is a 1.7GHz P4, it's an older machine and may not have USB2. Most
> if not all of the "M" machines I've seen have USB2.
>
> The drive could very well be 7200rpm. Some models could be ordered with
> the faster drive. (60GB was the largest capacity in 2.5" 7200rpm drives
> last time I checked)
>
> C.
>

> "James Buhler" <jbuhler"diespammers"@mb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Margaret von B." <margaretvonbremovethis@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:o QMpe.36846$j51.22847@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>

>>> The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (1.7GHz, 512Mb, 60Mb HD 7200
>> rpm)
>>> that has a digital audio out with a minijack connector. This same
>> connector
>>> also functions as an analog headphone output. Using a Sony minijack to
>>> optical cable that is an accessory to their portable DATs, I can get
>> digital
>>> audio out from the Toshiba to a number of different DACs. Now I got this
>>> Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX external soundcard that has an optical input.
>>> The
>>> problem is that there seems to be no signal from the laptop to the
>>> Audigy.
>>> Of course the Audigy also has USB 2 connection but the laptop does not
>>> and
>>> the USB 1 is not fast enough for the device to work properly. Anyone
>>> have
>>> any idea what could be going on here?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Margaret
>>>

>> From your description of the laptops specs it seems odd that you don't
>> have
>> usb 2.0 support. Assuming that the 1.7 GHz chip is a Pentium "M", a
>> Satellite with a 60MB HDD and 512 MB of RAM seems like a newer machine
>> and
>> should support USB 2.0. BTW, I'm not 100% sure but I think that the Hard
>> Disk in that machine is actually running at 4200 rpm not 7200. None of
>> the
>> Satellite series machines have 7200 rpm drives.
>>
>> What OS are you running? It will most likely be the determining factor
>> on
>> USB 2.0 support, not your machine.
>>
>> What is the model number of the unit?
>>
>> J.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2005 2:14:25 PM

> Hi guys,
>
> The computer is a Satellite 5105-S607. It is a P4 processor and it is a
few
> years old.The HD is a Toshiba MK6022GAX.
>
> Thanks for your help guys. Arny Krueger told me that it is probably a SCMS
> issue with the Blaster. You agree?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Margaret

Are you trying to send a digital signal from your internal toshiba sound
card to the digital in on the Audigy? If so, this will not work as the
Audigy needs to be connected to your computer so that the drivers can
control the audigy unit. If USB 2.0 is not currently available on the
laptop you can purchase a USB 2.0 pcmcia card. for about $30.00. You will
also need to use an OS that supports USB 2.0. In your case this will most
likely be Win XP with SP1 or Win 2000 with SP4. This will allow you to use
the audigy unit properly and will also negate the need for the spdif
connection from your laptop to the audigy external.

BTW, make sure that you disable the internal sound card on the laptop in
device manager (disable in current hardware profile) or you may have
problems with the setup. (I speak from experience as a Toshiba Satellite
owner. The internal sc cannot be disabled in the bios and having two sound
cards in the laptop can cause problems.)

BTW2, The Hard Drive in your machine a 5400 RPM drive.

HTH.

J.

!