WHAT IS GAPLESS/GAPLESSPLAYBACK?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 9, 2005 3:05:16 AM

there's a discussion going on elsewhere, and there are those who
practically demand gapless playback. after reading what i could,,,and
listening to these guys, i have come to the conclusion that some people
don't know what gapless is, or their ideas vary as to what it should
be.

so i have some questions.....

is a gapless recording one continuous uninterrupted track? if it is,
and there are different songs on this one track(say a live jazz
performance), can each song be "tracked"(id3'd), or will the recording
appear as one long single track?

or is gapless recording really just a bunch of songs that have been
"seamlessly" edited, so that we don't notice the gaps?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:35:56 PM

<bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message
> there's a discussion going on elsewhere, and there are those who
> practically demand gapless playback. after reading what i could,,,and
> listening to these guys, i have come to the conclusion that some people
> don't know what gapless is, or their ideas vary as to what it should
> be.
>
> so i have some questions.....
>
> is a gapless recording one continuous uninterrupted track? if it is,
> and there are different songs on this one track(say a live jazz
> performance), can each song be "tracked"(id3'd), or will the recording
> appear as one long single track?
>
> or is gapless recording really just a bunch of songs that have been
> "seamlessly" edited, so that we don't notice the gaps?

It means when you can edit without it interrupting the playback stream. In
some programs even adding a plugin to a track will cause the gap (stop in
the music for a second). In some things it is nitpicky and in others it's a
big deal (like when you're trying to make edits to a loop). When you're into
the groove and trying to make edits that little "burp" in the signal gets
really annoying.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:48:35 PM

<<Some recorders were designed with a
timing circuit that turns on the erase head a little later than when
recording starts to reduce the punch-in gap, but there's nothing they
can do to turn it off slightly before you push the Stop button.

Not exactly. It would delay entering record on a rolling punch in
(eliminates the brief "doubling effect" as new material is recorded on
top of the unerased old material that's already gone past the gap
between the erase and record heads), and similarly delay the record
cutoff on a rolling punch out (filling in the gap that was already
erased). In both cases, the erase head is turned on or off as soon as
the record button is pressed. I have this feature on my Otari MX80, but
it's optional, and I generally switch it off. I found the delayed
record onset annoying in more cases than the doubling/gap issue was.
It's a nice idea though, and if you have a lot of very tight punches to
do it can be a blessing.

Otherwise, I think this topic is about a DAW issue anyway... : )

Ted Spencer, NYC
June 9, 2005 1:59:38 PM

In article <1118297116.941681.198650@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> bruin70@mail.com writes:

> there's a discussion going on elsewhere, and there are those who
> practically demand gapless playback.

> is a gapless recording one continuous uninterrupted track? if it is,
> and there are different songs on this one track(say a live jazz
> performance), can each song be "tracked"(id3'd), or will the recording
> appear as one long single track?
>
> or is gapless recording really just a bunch of songs that have been
> "seamlessly" edited, so that we don't notice the gaps?

It could mean whatever who uses the term wants it to mean.
Traditionally, the term "gapless" is associated with punching in or
out. On an analog tape deck, the tape passes the erase head before it
passes the record head, so when punching in to a recorded track,
a small amount of tape gets erased before it starts recording, and
that's the "gap." This can be minimized by an engineer who has good
punching skill and knows the timing of his recorder. Similarly, when
punching out, a little bit of tape is erased after the last of the
punch, and that also leaves a gap. Some recorders were designed with a
timing circuit that turns on the erase head a little later than when
recording starts to reduce the punch-in gap, but there's nothing they
can do to turn it off slightly before you push the Stop button.

Hard disk recording doesn't have the need for an erase head, but
latency is often confused as a recording gap when punching. Also, when
you stop recording, usually the first thing that happens is that the
recording gets saved as a file. There may not be sufficient horsepower
to continue playing the track while this housekeeping is underway, so
a "rolling" punch may appear to have a gap in monitoring, but it's not
there when you listen to the playback.

It could mean other things, too.

June 10, 2005 2:23:06 AM

<bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message
> there's a discussion going on elsewhere, and there are those who
> practically demand gapless playback. after reading what i could,,,and
> listening to these guys, i have come to the conclusion that some people
> don't know what gapless is, or their ideas vary as to what it should
> be.
>
> so i have some questions.....
>
> is a gapless recording one continuous uninterrupted track? if it is,
> and there are different songs on this one track(say a live jazz
> performance), can each song be "tracked"(id3'd), or will the recording
> appear as one long single track?
>
> or is gapless recording really just a bunch of songs that have been
> "seamlessly" edited, so that we don't notice the gaps?

Either.

geoff
June 10, 2005 2:40:11 AM

I think you guys missed the point, OP is asking about gapless PLAYBACK,
which is how a CD is produced/printed, i.e. tracks play without a usual
3 sec pause between them.

It is done during mastering by pasting all song tracks back to back
into a single audio track then inserting cue/id points between them so
the listener can navigate while listening to a CD, usually a "live"
recording.

Of course, in a different context "gapless" has a different
deffinition...

j.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:14:15 AM

"justin" <someone@example.net> wrote in message
>I think you guys missed the point, OP is asking about gapless PLAYBACK,
> which is how a CD is produced/printed, i.e. tracks play without a usual
> 3 sec pause between them.
>
> It is done during mastering by pasting all song tracks back to back
> into a single audio track then inserting cue/id points between them so
> the listener can navigate while listening to a CD, usually a "live"
> recording.
>
> Of course, in a different context "gapless" has a different
> deffinition...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about gapless editing on a DAW (those brief
interruptions of sound some programs have when inserting a pluging sliding
around tracks, etc.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:02:43 PM

In article <090620051540110023%someone@example.net> justin writes:

> I think you guys missed the point, OP is asking about gapless PLAYBACK,
> which is how a CD is produced/printed, i.e. tracks play without a usual
> 3 sec pause between them.

Oh. Did he say that? Like I said, "gapless" is used in several
different contexts. I've never heard the term applied to a CD. Since I
normally burn CDs disk-at-once to avoid coasters, I make my spaces in
the editing (some call it "mastering" and don't put any "laser off"
space in between tracks.

June 10, 2005 12:39:21 PM

<prestokid@aol.com> wrote in message

The woman on the cover of The Female Eunich was gapless.

geoff
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:13:06 PM

"justin" <someone@example.net> wrote in message
>I think you guys missed the point, OP is asking about gapless PLAYBACK,
> which is how a CD is produced/printed, i.e. tracks play without a usual
> 3 sec pause between them.
>
> It is done during mastering by pasting all song tracks back to back
> into a single audio track then inserting cue/id points between them so
> the listener can navigate while listening to a CD, usually a "live"
> recording.
>
> Of course, in a different context "gapless" has a different
> deffinition...

If there is any 'standard' it is 2 seconds. In in CD Architect, and
presumably other pre-mastering apps, it is a simple drag to either increase
, reduce. or remove gaps.

Equally for a contiguous recording, 'gapless' track numbers are as easy as
hitting "T" to insert, that do not interupt the audio.

Equally, you can add a gappy track number in the track-counter sense with
audio continuing uninterupted !

geoff
!