Jake_Barnes

Splendid
As a general rule (if one applies) - Is it better to get 2X512, or 4X256 sticks of quality Ram to get your 1 gig?

But Officer, I wasn't speeding - I was qualifying ...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Is there any particular reason for this? How much performace difference would there be - if one started out with 2x256, then added 2 more sticks later?

But Officer, I wasn't speeding - I was qualifying ...

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I'm assuming this is related to the Springdale/Canterwood chipsets. Adding more memory modules increases the average access latencies in some cases. However, in other cases the higher amount of memory will negate the effects of having more physical banks running. If 2x512MB is not affordable, 2x256MB now and 2x256MB more later is not a bad decision. Not a noticable performance difference between the two.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

G

Canterwood/Springdale = 865/875 (their code name)
As for your question there is a nice article about tweaking memory on tomshardware

quote: The number of memory modules you use will have a direct impact on your command rate. The command rate specifies the number of clock cycles the memory controller needs to activate the modules and chips. If you've filled all your memory banks, you'll generally have to increase the rate from one to two clock cycles to keep your system stable. Unfortunately, that will also impair performance by up to three percent.