MS BUG in Xp SP2 - CFS3 Won't Start...

Is the following problem allso the same that i got for
CFS3 ? Seems like the same problem i got....
(But i can't find a "strings.dll" file in the installation
directory so it may be another failing dll ....)

CFS3 Wont Start, exits after the splash screen shows and
when the movie is supposed to play ....

Why Why Why did i install the XP-SP2... :-(

/Johan

Compatibility Fix for Windows XP SP2 and certain 256 MB
video cards: Microsoft has identified a potential
incompatibility between Halo for PC and Windows XP SP2, on
certain high-end video cards, which causes Halo to exit
silently to the desktop immedately after launching the
program, before the logo movies play. Systems which can
get beyond that point are unaffected by this problem, and
will not benefit from this fix.

Note: You must patch Halo to the latest version (1.04)
before applying this fix. Please download Halo 1.04 (see
above).

Microsoft has only seen this problem on computers with an
Nvidia GeForce 5900 or 5950, or ATI X800 video card, and
only on certain driver versions, including the Nvidia
drivers included by default in new installations of
Windows XP SP2.

Solution: Microsoft is providing an updated version of a
file for Halo which may be installed to fix this problem.
Gameplay is otherwise unaffected by this change.

It is recommended that you only continue to install this
fix if you experience the specific problem noted above.
Ensure you have the latest version of Halo (1.04) by
running the latest update (see above), or by checking the
version number of the file halo.exe, typically located in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo. The correct version
number is 1.0.4.607.
After verifying that you have the correct version,
download the new Strings.dll and save it to the location
where Halo was installed, typically C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Games\Halo. When prompted to overwrite the
existing file, choose Yes.
DOWNLOAD STRINGS DLL 1 MB

Launch Halo to verify that it functions as intended. Note
that if you see the message "Corrupted Halo.exe", then
Halo was not patched to the correct version before
applying this update - See step 2 above.
5 answers Last reply
More about cfs3 start
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    why why why did you not make a full backup before you
    started a major change to your system... some never learn!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    JohSm wrote:

    > Is the following problem allso the same that i got for
    > CFS3 ? Seems like the same problem i got....
    > (But i can't find a "strings.dll" file in the installation
    > directory so it may be another failing dll ....)
    >
    > CFS3 Wont Start, exits after the splash screen shows and
    > when the movie is supposed to play ....
    >
    > Why Why Why did i install the XP-SP2... :-(
    >
    > /Johan
    >
    > Compatibility Fix for Windows XP SP2 and certain 256 MB
    > video cards: Microsoft has identified a potential
    > incompatibility between Halo for PC and Windows XP SP2, on
    > certain high-end video cards, which causes Halo to exit
    > silently to the desktop immedately after launching the
    > program, before the logo movies play. Systems which can
    > get beyond that point are unaffected by this problem, and
    > will not benefit from this fix.
    >
    > Note: You must patch Halo to the latest version (1.04)
    > before applying this fix. Please download Halo 1.04 (see
    > above).
    >
    > Microsoft has only seen this problem on computers with an
    > Nvidia GeForce 5900 or 5950, or ATI X800 video card, and
    > only on certain driver versions, including the Nvidia
    > drivers included by default in new installations of
    > Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Solution: Microsoft is providing an updated version of a
    > file for Halo which may be installed to fix this problem.
    > Gameplay is otherwise unaffected by this change.
    >
    > It is recommended that you only continue to install this
    > fix if you experience the specific problem noted above.
    > Ensure you have the latest version of Halo (1.04) by
    > running the latest update (see above), or by checking the
    > version number of the file halo.exe, typically located in
    > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo. The correct version
    > number is 1.0.4.607.
    > After verifying that you have the correct version,
    > download the new Strings.dll and save it to the location
    > where Halo was installed, typically C:\Program
    > Files\Microsoft Games\Halo. When prompted to overwrite the
    > existing file, choose Yes.
    > DOWNLOAD STRINGS DLL 1 MB
    >
    > Launch Halo to verify that it functions as intended. Note
    > that if you see the message "Corrupted Halo.exe", then
    > Halo was not patched to the correct version before
    > applying this update - See step 2 above.

    With WinME and WinXP you can run System Restore and select an entry
    point listed on a date before the problem first occurred.

    --

    Joe =o)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Anyone care to make a wager regarding the ability of
    System Restore to back out of an installation of SP2?
    s ----------------------------------------------------

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:24:30 -0700, "sam"

    >Anyone care to make a wager regarding the ability of
    >System Restore to back out of an installation of SP2?

    You really like a safe bet don't you?! Hahahahahaha
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Johan,
    I have developed the same problem as you ... Why, oh why,
    did I update Windows XP! If I uninstall CFS2 and
    reinstall, I can get in a few simulated flights before
    the inevitable aborted program launch (as you described)
    occurs. Like you, I have been unable to find out how to
    resolve this problem.

    David M.

Microsoft Windows XP Video Games