GeForce Go 7900GTX VS. Quadro FX 2500M For Multimedia

miro_refero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I'm looking into getting a KN laptop with a GeForce Go 7900GTX card in it. I know that this is the top of the line video card for laptops at the moment, however.

The Quadro card is designed for OpenGL, 3D/CAD/After Effects . Apparently the Quadro has trouble with some games because of the fact that its designed for OpenGL.

I'm wondering if the 7900GTX might have performance problems with OpenGL applications like video editing and 3d because its designed for games ?

If anyone out there knows anything about this please let me know, both cards seem to support the same OpenGL stuff with the GTX having more gaming effects.

Jockomo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
This is a good question, I've been wondering the same thing.

The GeForce looks to have a hardware decoder to playback the new HD-DVD formats, but since the systems are not shipping with the HD-DVD players yet, you'd have to have the files on your system to play them, that is my guess.

I'd love to know how games play on the quadro and how well it handles Premier. The Quadro1400 is certified by adobe for use with premier, so I'll guess the performance cna only be better with the 2500