How do I archive my 02R Scenes with a computer?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 9, 2005 9:01:33 PM

I need to archive my scene memories. I've tried enabling Sysex with Cubase
SX and recording a dump onto a channel but that only writes one Sysex word
of information and doesn't do the job. I used to have an old Korg DF1 Midi
Data Filer which was an archaic device that could do it with keyboard
patches but surely theres some little utility I could use on the PC that
would do the same thing?

Any ideas?

regards,

Martin
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:01:34 PM

Martin Quinn wrote:
> I need to archive my scene memories. I've tried enabling Sysex with Cubase
> SX and recording a dump onto a channel but that only writes one Sysex word
> of information and doesn't do the job. I used to have an old Korg DF1 Midi
> Data Filer which was an archaic device that could do it with keyboard
> patches but surely theres some little utility I could use on the PC that
> would do the same thing?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

Try just recording them as midi data/midi track just like you would
normal midi instrument. Make sure there are no filters on the input to
the track.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:01:34 PM

When I had an O2R, I used to us an Alesis DataDisk unit (rackmount sys ex
recorder with 3.5 disk drive). I think they sell for $75 on Ebay.

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> I need to archive my scene memories. I've tried enabling Sysex with Cubase
> SX and recording a dump onto a channel but that only writes one Sysex word
> of information and doesn't do the job. I used to have an old Korg DF1 Midi
> Data Filer which was an archaic device that could do it with keyboard
> patches but surely theres some little utility I could use on the PC that
> would do the same thing?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

June 9, 2005 9:01:35 PM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:42:01 -0400, "Joe Sanborn"
<joe@telefunkenusa.com> wrote:

>When I had an O2R, I used to us an Alesis DataDisk unit (rackmount sys ex
>recorder with 3.5 disk drive). I think they sell for $75 on Ebay.

Same here - set it to receive and dump everything from the 02r. Just
push two buttons on the Datadisk and it takes care of everything
automatically.

Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:25:17 PM

I haven't but I have had firmware updates that you load to midi devices
from a standard midi file. That is why I thought it might work.

Is there possibly a setting in the software to only receive the first
word of a sysex?

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:15:52 AM

I've tried recording them on a cubase MIDI track with filters off. As I say,
all that gets recorded is 1 Sysex word of data. Have you done this yourself
with a sequencer?

regards,

Martin

"transmogrifa" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message

> Martin Quinn wrote:
> > I need to archive my scene memories. I've tried enabling Sysex with
Cubase
> > SX and recording a dump onto a channel but that only writes one Sysex
word
> > of information and doesn't do the job. I used to have an old Korg DF1
Midi
> > Data Filer which was an archaic device that could do it with keyboard
> > patches but surely theres some little utility I could use on the PC that
> > would do the same thing?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin
>

> Try just recording them as midi data/midi track just like you would
> normal midi instrument. Make sure there are no filters on the input to
> the track.
>
> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:16:38 AM

Have you tried using a sequencer to do the data backup? Is this possible?

<Kurt Riemann> wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:42:01 -0400, "Joe Sanborn"
> <joe@telefunkenusa.com> wrote:
>
> >When I had an O2R, I used to us an Alesis DataDisk unit (rackmount sys ex
> >recorder with 3.5 disk drive). I think they sell for $75 on Ebay.
> >

> Same here - set it to receive and dump everything from the 02r. Just
> push two buttons on the Datadisk and it takes care of everything
> automatically.
>
> Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:01:53 PM

This is a straightforward process: MIDI out of 02R to MID interface
input.

Go to the MIDI page of the 02R for dumping data and select what you'd
like to save (but don't click on dump yet)

Place a new MIDI track into record.

hit dump on the 02R (I believe that you press the enter button to do
this)
The 02R's screen will display which data is being dumped as it is
happening and MIDI data will appear in your sequencer.

peace
Steve
Anonymous
August 17, 2009 11:53:15 AM

Hello Martin,

This console goes back a few years and Yamaha did not make any software for this console. I asked Yamaha the same question and here is a copy of the email I got from Yamaha.

Software applications that worked with the original 02R were produced by third party companies in conjunction with Yamaha. Yamaha never sold or offered external software products for 02R so I can't help you very much on this point. The most complete project management software for 02R came from C-MEXX and it was called Visualizer for 02R. I believe C-MEXX also offered C-Console software as well that will work with 02RV2 as well. You might be able to search Google to find a source for these applications. I also recall a company called zeep.com that produced outboard software for our console products. I am not sure you will be able to find this company or their products anymore.

I hope this helps.

As far as connections go you would need an adapter or midi interface. The to host port on the O2R is pretty much a parallel of the midi ports. So this 9 pin din connector (to host) would plug in to the serial jack on a older computer that has serial ports. I had to make my own adapter to do this here is the pin out of the addaptor.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/KnowledgeBase/Knowl...

Software is here http://www.c-mexx.com/english/5-downloads.htm#trials

Its a bit of work and time but that would be the best way to do what you want to as the software would also control the console in real time.

Dan

!