Electronic drums amp/speaker advice

Last response: in Home Audio
June 9, 2005 11:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.

I have recently switched to playing electronic drums & am getting frustrated
at the lack of physical feedback I can get from the sound. The kick drum
seems to be distorting before it gets to the "feel it in your chest" level
which is making the kit lose its excitement for me. I am playing heavy rock
mainly using standard rock drum kit sounds.

I am currently using a dB Technologies Opera 212 active cab which is 120+40W
RMS with a 12" cone
(http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPER...)
whcih is pretty good for other normal kit sounds.

Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab that
should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing of the
electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power & punch...

Many thanks
Eddie
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:17:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eddie,
Are you plugging the Yamaha sound module into a preamp, then into the
speaker? In my experience with a Roland sound module, I plugged it
into a PA mixer first. I'm thinking you need a preamp between the
Yamaha and the speaker system.

DaveT
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:57:24 AM

"Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
>newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.
>
> I have recently switched to playing electronic drums & am getting
> frustrated at the lack of physical feedback I can get from the sound. The
> kick drum seems to be distorting before it gets to the "feel it in your
> chest" level which is making the kit lose its excitement for me. I am
> playing heavy rock mainly using standard rock drum kit sounds.
>
> I am currently using a dB Technologies Opera 212 active cab which is
> 120+40W RMS with a 12" cone
> (http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPER...)
> whcih is pretty good for other normal kit sounds.
>
> Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab
> that should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing
> of the electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power &
> punch...
>
> Many thanks
> Eddie

TO be able to get the volume, and feel it in your chest levels, then you are
going to need a dedicated bass speaker cab to compliment your Opera top cab.
You will then likely also need a crossover, to direct the bass signals to
the sun, and the higher frequencies to the opera. But in my opinion this
will defeat one of the advantages of using an electronic kit. From a sound
engineers point of view, the lower the volume on stage the easier it is to
get a good sound outfront for the audience. So to have a band, with their
guitars on v-amps and an electronic kit, with all the band members on IEMs,
and no wedges or amps on stage, ie no stage volume, would be a nice easy
show to get a good sound out front without need to be louder than the
drummer, or the guit amps, or wedges.
June 10, 2005 2:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab
that
> should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing of the
> electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power & punch...

Keep what you have and add a decent subwoofer.

Phildo
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:09:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I spent a couple of years touring with Vdrums using a throne shaker - when
the amp when down on the throne shaker it felt/sounded to me like all the
power had gone from my sound.

I presume you're talking about your monitor feed here and not FOH?

JC

"Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
>newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.
>
> I have recently switched to playing electronic drums & am getting
> frustrated at the lack of physical feedback I can get from the sound. The
> kick drum seems to be distorting before it gets to the "feel it in your
> chest" level which is making the kit lose its excitement for me. I am
> playing heavy rock mainly using standard rock drum kit sounds.
>
> I am currently using a dB Technologies Opera 212 active cab which is
> 120+40W RMS with a 12" cone
> (http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPER...)
> whcih is pretty good for other normal kit sounds.
>
> Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab
> that should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing
> of the electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power &
> punch...
>
> Many thanks
> Eddie

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:55:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 6/9/05 3:17 PM, in article
NA0qe.20245$bl3.12883@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "Eddie Cooper"
<eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
> newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.
>
> I have recently switched to playing electronic drums & am getting frustrated
> at the lack of physical feedback I can get from the sound. The kick drum
> seems to be distorting before it gets to the "feel it in your chest" level
> which is making the kit lose its excitement for me. I am playing heavy rock
> mainly using standard rock drum kit sounds.
>
> I am currently using a dB Technologies Opera 212 active cab which is 120+40W
> RMS with a 12" cone
> (http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPER...)
> whcih is pretty good for other normal kit sounds.
>
> Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab that
> should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing of the
> electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power & punch...

You need a throne-driver. (assuming you;re sitting to play)
There is No way to get this across until you try one.
It's a speaker-motor that clamps to the throne base and feeds litterally
kick-ass subwoofer stuff directly to you. Coupled to a decent (not
astounding) pair of main speakers handling everything above, say 100Hz, you
get the It thing happening again.
Couple hundred bucks and no big heavy boxes to haul and power.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:35:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Either a decent subwoofer or an Aura shaker or two will help you "feel" that
kick and make ya grin :)

cheers

Eddie Cooper wrote:
> I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
> newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.
>
> I have recently switched to playing electronic drums & am getting frustrated
> at the lack of physical feedback I can get from the sound. The kick drum
> seems to be distorting before it gets to the "feel it in your chest" level
> which is making the kit lose its excitement for me. I am playing heavy rock
> mainly using standard rock drum kit sounds.
>
> I am currently using a dB Technologies Opera 212 active cab which is 120+40W
> RMS with a 12" cone
> (http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPER...)
> whcih is pretty good for other normal kit sounds.
>
> Can anybody recommend what features I should look for in an active cab that
> should add the excitement back in? I am enjoying the actual playing of the
> electronic kit (Yamaha DTXtreme IIs) but just lacking the power & punch...
>
> Many thanks
> Eddie

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:35:37 PM

"Eddie Cooper" wrote:

>I think you guys here will have a better idea on this than in a drum
>newsgroup so please forgive me if you feel this is a misplaced post.

It sounds like what you need is a "thump" transducer mounted
on your throne rather than having a mini PA - which goes against the
lower stage volume that e-Drums can provide.

Buttkicker brand are popular, there are others.

http://www.lightav.com/home/buttkicker/buttkick.html