Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I bought some memory from another member here, an honest one. The problem is, even with my PC open and everything else cool, the memory overheats whenever ambient temperature goes over 95F. The memory is OCZ PC1066 at stock speed on an Intel board.

I remember OCZ used to rebadge Samsung PC800-40 as PC1066. I don't think this is the stuff, but I don't know how to tell. How is OCZ's exchange policy?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Crashman:

Do the modules have heatsinks on them?
If not go get ya some copper heatsinks, that will knock the temp down in a hurry.
Its a effective and cheap solution to the problem.

XeeN

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All RDRAM has EMI shielding which is also a heat spreader.

Wondering if anyone has had to deal with OCZ before.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I have no experience with rdram but possibly you could do a part number search on those memory chips and find out what ns speed they are supposed to run at. But if they have EMI sheilds then this could be hard to do w/o voiding the warantee.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
does it say what ns the chips are...although if they are "hand picked" that might not mean much but it is worth a look...i would assume they would be 1ns.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually...no. RDRAM is like this:

PC800=45ns
PC1066=35ns

I don't know how, but PC800 runs at 400MHz on that 45ns. The PC800-40 is for boards with faster latencies, such as when you're using a "533" bus CPU with "400 bus" memory (4:3 ratio). But if the manufacturer changes the SPD value on PC800-40, some boards will automatically configure it to 533MHz...and it's overclocked.