Sign in with
Your question

BSOD when gaming

Last response: in Windows 7
July 12, 2012 2:45:13 AM

Hello. As of recently I've been receiving a BSOD when gaming. I have changed system settings to stop from automatically restarting at BSOD and to create a memory dump but failed with status "0xC0000010".

My specs:
ASRock Professional z77
Intel i7 3770k, no oc, liquid cooled
2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133mhz, auto clocked down
EVGA GTX 670
Thermaltake 80+ Bronze 750w modular PSU.

I have swapped out the ram with older ram I already know to be working and continued to receive a blue screen. Tested different ram slots with same result. RMA'd my video card and continue to have the problem with my new card. Replaced the hard drive, issue persists. Ran memtest 86 overnight without encountering an issue, furmark did not raise any issues either. Will provide more information upon assistance/request. Thank you.

BSOD Technical Information:
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800B27AB30, 0xFFFFFA800B27AE10, 0xFFFFF800033DB510)

More about : bsod gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2012 2:52:19 AM

if its not the ram or gpu, then its most likely the cpu or mobo, as the power supply is mroe than enough to run the system and is able to keep it since the computer actually works.
July 12, 2012 3:02:25 AM

I was thinking that as well but hoping that was not the case :(  I just don't currently have the means of individually testing everything so I thought i'd seek some assistance from anyone who may recognize the stop codes or can help me figure out how to get my comp to create a dump file, I've tried (what I believe to be) everything.
Related resources
July 12, 2012 10:15:27 PM

Anyone have any additional input?
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 3:10:22 PM

Quote:
Bug Check 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

In your case, a system process crashed. By any chance, did the BSOD specify the module the BSOD occured at? [I'm hoping it lists the actually process that crashed, NOT the NT Kernel.]

Based on the fact you both swapped and tested your RAM, its sounding like a driver may have a problem, and its corrupting RAM and bringing down the OS. I'd take a very careful look at what drivers are installed on the system and what is running. [msconfig]
July 13, 2012 6:43:52 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:
Bug Check 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

In your case, a system process crashed. By any chance, did the BSOD specify the module the BSOD occured at? [I'm hoping it lists the actually process that crashed, NOT the NT Kernel.]

Based on the fact you both swapped and tested your RAM, its sounding like a driver may have a problem, and its corrupting RAM and bringing down the OS. I'd take a very careful look at what drivers are installed on the system and what is running. [msconfig]

Nope, unfortunately that is all the information it gave me. I can leave the comp running for days and use it for basic operation as much as I like, but after about 10 minutes of gaming the hard drive makes a slight but noticeably alarming sound and then BSOD.

I will take a look. Any suggestion as to what sort of unusual or suspicious driver activity to look out for?
July 21, 2012 8:12:48 PM

Managed to get the dump file, anyone care to point me in the right direction?

072112-17643-01.dmp 7/21/2012 11:10:20 AM CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION 0x000000f4 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`080afb30 fffffa80`080afe10 fffff800`02d90240 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+71f00 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+71f00 C:\Windows\Minidump\072112-17643-01.dmp 8 15 7600 291,440
September 3, 2012 3:35:37 PM

Well, since my last post I have RMA'd my motherboard and installed an SSD (C). On the SSD I installed Windows, drivers and Battlefield 3. My HDD (D) is also still connected though I am not running anything off of it. While gaming, I encountered a new and somewhat unusual issue. While I did not receive a BSOD, my computer started making unusual noises (what I believe was coming from my HDD) and it would continously re-recognize drive D: as though it was being removed and replaced. This would explain the BSOD's I was getting when it was my primary drive but why is it having such issues now when i'm playing games regardless of the fact that i'm not running anything off of it? Is the drive bad? Power issue? Any help appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2012 3:41:39 PM

Sounds like the drive is failing. Back it up immediately and replace.
September 3, 2012 10:18:48 PM

Removed HDD all together, problem persisting.
September 4, 2012 11:36:21 AM

Quote:
the hard drive makes a slight but noticeably alarming sound and then BSOD.

What drive is it?

Run a test on it.

Seagate Seatools HERE.

WD Data Lifeguard HERE.

Hitachi drive Fitness test HERE.

Samsung HUTIL HERE.

HD Tune HERE.
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 2:12:43 PM

Wondering if you have two separate issues. HDD coming and going could cause the BSOD you are seeing, but if the problem remains with it removed...
September 4, 2012 9:14:22 PM

I completely removed the HDD and am having the same issue on the SSD I was having on the HDD. I should have new RAM arriving tomorrow or the day after but I really just cannot believe the trouble this build has given me.

It's possible there are two separate issues, however I'm starting to suspect my PSU is to blame. The HDD was brand new, albeit probably sat on the shelf at Best Buy longer than any enthusiast would care to purchase. It seems to function fine though it does have this issue where it's constantly being rerecognized when gaming. Even when removed though the SSD is most certainly brand new and even when only loaded with fresh, mandatory drivers I get a horrible looping noise and either crash to black screen forcing restart or BSOD, normally listing Kernel Data Inpage Error as the issue when in game. Outside of gaming the comp is stable. This is a frustrating complication as it's far from my first build and I work in IT. I cannot believe difficulty i'm having!
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 12:03:34 PM

To clarify, you are getting no other BSOD messages besides 0x000000F4? I ask, because its rare this BSOD pops up by itself...

Is it possible you need a SSD firmware update?
September 9, 2012 4:37:09 PM

Yes that was it. However, I have made some progress...

I replaced the RAM with a type that was listed as supported for my mobo. After having replaced the RAM and HDD no more blue screens, however now when i'm playing I do get black screens. So, as you suggested before, it seems there were actually two issues. BSOD's from HDD and RAM, and the occasional black screen from something else. I recently picked up a pair of Turtle Beach headphones for gaming and I had noticed that after a short amount of gaming there was a slight hum/buzz slowly developing into a very loud hum/buzz in my headset. After it would reach a certain peak the game would crash to a black screen making an sound loop of a the last half second of sound and then the monitor would go unresponsive and the sound would stop, which would then require a forced restart. I had read that it's an issue with realtek drivers. I updated them and while the buzz was still there, it didn't seem to get as loud and I didn't crash to black screen.

TL;DR: BSOD issue appears to be solved. Strange sound issue exists when gaming, seems to lead to black screen crash.
!