wpa passphrase issues

I have the 700 model base station, and the MS 802.11g
card as well. I want to use WPA encryption, and I set up
my wireless security for 256-bit WPA-SPK, and picked a
passphrase. I was able to set up my laptop to connect to
the network with this information. However, every
subsequent attempt is a dismal failure. The Broadband
Network Utility tells me in the 'connection status' that
I have an incorrect security key, which is simply
ludicrous, as nothing has changed in the interim. I try
re-entering it, and it just keeps telling me I have the
wrong one. There is other very bizarre behavior as well -
if I look at the network connection in the control
panel, it thinks I'm using WEP, not WPA, or at times it
will even think that there isn't any encryption at all.

None of this makes any sense to me at all, as my base
station config is static and nothing is changing on that
end, but whenever I try to connect my laptop to my
wireless network with WPA it just exhibits this very
bizarre behavior. I can usually get it to connect after
a couple resets and other things, but every time I
disconnect and try reconnecting after I run into the same
issues all over again. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Tom Foster

joker

The software doesn't support WPA. You need to use Windows XP's Wireless
Zero Configuration Service to configure a WPA connection.

tfoster wrote:

> I have the 700 model base station, and the MS 802.11g
> card as well. I want to use WPA encryption, and I set up
> my wireless security for 256-bit WPA-SPK, and picked a
> passphrase. I was able to set up my laptop to connect to
> the network with this information. However, every
> subsequent attempt is a dismal failure. The Broadband
> Network Utility tells me in the 'connection status' that
> I have an incorrect security key, which is simply
> ludicrous, as nothing has changed in the interim. I try
> re-entering it, and it just keeps telling me I have the
> wrong one. There is other very bizarre behavior as well -
> if I look at the network connection in the control
> panel, it thinks I'm using WEP, not WPA, or at times it
> will even think that there isn't any encryption at all.
>
> None of this makes any sense to me at all, as my base
> station config is static and nothing is changing on that
> end, but whenever I try to connect my laptop to my
> wireless network with WPA it just exhibits this very
> bizarre behavior. I can usually get it to connect after
> a couple resets and other things, but every time I
> disconnect and try reconnecting after I run into the same
> issues all over again. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> Tom Foster

Yes. You can use the s/w to open up the WZC interface, by
choosing 'adapter settings' and doing 'configure,' and
that's where I enter in the WPA information - my problem
is that it thinks that the passphrase has changed, when
it has not, and will not accept the valid passphrase,
even if I re-enter it.

joker

The doesn't use the WZC service & it only supports WEP. You need to
uninstall the software and use the wireless network connection
properties in network connections. After you have done that WPA will
work. If you call Microsoft for support they will tell you the exact
same thing because it is the truth.