need quite cooler for XP

purplexed

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
I want to run my pc completely quite ,so that I can leave it 24/7 and sleep by it while downloading.
do you know any quite cooler?
so far I have 2 candidates for my Athlon XP 2200+ : a model from Arctic Cooling Silent, it's Al with a base in Cu and 80 x 80 slow fan, I mounted it on another system with a Duron 1200 and it's inaudible, but allthough it's said to be good till the Athlon XP 2800+ model, I worry if it's good for 24/7 operating. The Duron was around 55 C ,read on the ECS mobo, I wonder the Athlon? I don't care much of high temp though, just that it doesn't overheat under stressful applications though.it costs 20€
the other model is the AeroCool Deeep Impact,it has an heatpipe in Cu and fins in Al and a small 60x60 fan, and costs 50€
there are also the Zalman models,but I read on their site that their silent mode of the selectable speed fan is not for the 2200+,just the slower models.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Simple mate - Get the excellent Thermalright SLK-900 with a nice slow moving 92mm fan. I have one of these running on my overclocked 2500+ (1.8 -> 2.1GHz) combined with a Sunon 92mm fan (the lower noise model) and it runs at 36 degrees under full load (arctic silver 3 also used).

You could do the same and get an even slower / quieter fan. I would say less than 28 dBa is required for totaly silent operation although don't forget about your PSU and video card fans which also make some noise.

You can buy some foam type stuff that you can line your case with that is supposed to cut down on noise but it raises temps a little because of the insulation effect.

Also if you buy the SLK-900 then it will let you use much hotter CPUs in the future (assuming that they bring out a socket adapter for it)

Your choices sound good but for quieter cooling you need to get more out of your heatsink and less out of your fan - ie I would say that you need all copper designs rather than copper heatpipes / slugs.

For example the FOP38 was raved about when it came out but the only reason that it acheived amazing cooling was not the actual heatsink (which was all alu.) but that it had a ridiculous delta screamer black label attached to it which put out more dBa than CFM.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

svol

Champion
Testing... what do you think of it?

And BTW I agree with your advise, such heatsink pared with a low-noise fan is a very solid solution.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Great mate - funny and true at the same time.
Those fans would be OK if your case was in another room or behind 30 ft of steel and re-inforced concrete but otherwise they would drive me mad. I remember when I got my FOP38 and people were saying in the reviews "Ignore the people who complain about noise, this is a top cooler" Well next time I will listen to those people.

Bloddy good cooling performance though :)

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

f4shionablecha0s

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Hey. I'm interested in silencing my computer, but the SLK-900 is very expensive ($50 without fan). Is there a cheaper silent solution out there?