I'm Dumping Sonar 4P and Cubase SX3 for Ardour/Audacity/Ro..

Last response: in Home Audio
June 10, 2005 8:11:26 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
because all the software I need is free.
I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
that the others with Windows can do.

I plan on using the following for tracking, mixing and mastering:

Ardour http://ardour.org/ This program just ROCKS!!!

Audacity for Mastering: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Which
comes with about 200 plugins for mastering.

Rosegarden for MIDI: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

I have been using all of these programs under Mepis Linux and I can't
say enough good about them. Super stable and great.

So long DONGLES, Serial numbers and other BS and hello to the freedom
of Linux.

My LEGAL versions of Sonar 4 Producer and Cubase SX3 will be up on ebay
shortly.

Wilson Pettibone
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:22:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 10-Jun-2005, "Wilson Pettibone" <wilson_pettibone@yahoo.com> had the
unmitigated gall to write:

> My LEGAL versions of Sonar 4 Producer and Cubase SX3 will be up on ebay
> shortly.

Well that says all I need to hear of your integrity. So the rest of what
you have to say has no value to me.

--
Dave (Mod Bod)

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/cmodiset/webpage/dave_modise...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/davemodisettemusic.ht...
http://www.sonarama.com/1.0/zina_index.php?p=c01%2F69
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 10 Jun 2005 16:11:26 -0700, "Wilson Pettibone"
<wilson_pettibone@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
>platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
>because all the software I need is free.
>I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
>and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
>that the others with Windows can do.

What are you using for an audio card?

Ap
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
> platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
> because all the software I need is free.
> I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
> and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
> that the others with Windows can do.
>
> I plan on using the following for tracking, mixing and mastering:
>
> Ardour http://ardour.org/ This program just ROCKS!!!
>
> Audacity for Mastering: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Which
> comes with about 200 plugins for mastering.
>
> Rosegarden for MIDI: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
>
> I have been using all of these programs under Mepis Linux and I can't
> say enough good about them. Super stable and great.
>
> So long DONGLES, Serial numbers and other BS and hello to the freedom
> of Linux.
>
> My LEGAL versions of Sonar 4 Producer and Cubase SX3 will be up on ebay
> shortly.

Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
Linux?

RM
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:18:12 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>>>I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
>>>platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
>>>because all the software I need is free. I've been test driving some
>>>Linux software for the last couple of weeks and truthfully I can't find
>>>anything that my Linux software can't do that the others with Windows
>>>can do.

Well, I looked at it too and found it woefully incomplete and not
suitable for professional use, at least not yet.

Still hobbyist level IMHO.

Ap
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:25:22 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I really wish these Linux geeks would stop cross posting in rec.audio.
pro.

We don't care what you use. You are just annoying.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:10:19 PM

Richie Miller wrote:

> Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
> Linux?
>
> RM

I presume you're being facetious, but in case you're not: There are
Windows emulators on Linux. The actual binary code doesn't have to
change (since it'd be running on the same processor as Windows does) but
the file format for the linker/loader (what does the DLL call and what
functions does it expose?) has to be interpretted and all of the system
calls have to be redirected to the Linux equivalant.

It would be possible to move all the Windows plug-ins over via
emulation, but I doubt it's been done yet. Perhaps it has though - the
technology is there on Linux and source code is probably available.

FWIW, I'm somewhat interested in how things are shaping up like on
Linux, but I'm less thrilled with some troll doing a spamming cross-post
for the education.

KO
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:23:04 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:11:04 -0700, Richie Miller <> wrote:

>> I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
>> platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
>> because all the software I need is free.
>> I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
>> and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
>> that the others with Windows can do.
>>
>> I plan on using the following for tracking, mixing and mastering:
>>
>> Ardour http://ardour.org/ This program just ROCKS!!!
>>
>> Audacity for Mastering: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Which
>> comes with about 200 plugins for mastering.
>>
>> Rosegarden for MIDI: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
>>
>> I have been using all of these programs under Mepis Linux and I can't
>> say enough good about them. Super stable and great.
>>
>> So long DONGLES, Serial numbers and other BS and hello to the freedom
>> of Linux.
>>
>> My LEGAL versions of Sonar 4 Producer and Cubase SX3 will be up on ebay
>> shortly.
>>
>Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
>Linux?

No, they won't... but he won't need them as his Soundblaster Live has
builit in effects! Oh wait, SBLive effects aren't supported in
Linux... darn!

Ap

>RM
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:23:05 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:11:04 -0700, Richie Miller <> wrote:
>
> >> I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
> >> platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
> >> because all the software I need is free.
> >> I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
> >> and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
> >> that the others with Windows can do.
> >>
> >> I plan on using the following for tracking, mixing and mastering:
> >>
> >> Ardour http://ardour.org/ This program just ROCKS!!!
> >>
> >> Audacity for Mastering: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Which
> >> comes with about 200 plugins for mastering.
> >>
> >> Rosegarden for MIDI: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
> >>
> >> I have been using all of these programs under Mepis Linux and I can't
> >> say enough good about them. Super stable and great.
> >>
> >> So long DONGLES, Serial numbers and other BS and hello to the freedom
> >> of Linux.
> >>
> >> My LEGAL versions of Sonar 4 Producer and Cubase SX3 will be up on ebay
> >> shortly.
> >>
> >Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
> >Linux?
>
> No, they won't... but he won't need them as his Soundblaster Live has
> builit in effects! Oh wait, SBLive effects aren't supported in
> Linux... darn!

ROFL. Linux and SB Live.

RM
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:43:20 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:10:19 -0500, Kraig Olmstead wrote:

> Richie Miller wrote:
>
>> Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
>> Linux?
>>
>> RM
>
> I presume you're being facetious, but in case you're not: There are
> Windows emulators on Linux. The actual binary code doesn't have to
> change (since it'd be running on the same processor as Windows does) but
> the file format for the linker/loader (what does the DLL call and what
> functions does it expose?) has to be interpretted and all of the system
> calls have to be redirected to the Linux equivalant.
>
> It would be possible to move all the Windows plug-ins over via
> emulation, but I doubt it's been done yet. Perhaps it has though - the
> technology is there on Linux and source code is probably available.

Here's a list of VST plugins that are known to work in Ardour on x86 Linux
under Wine/FST emulation. The main stumbling block at the moment is the
redistribution licence for the VST header files that requires you to
either download them separately from Steinberg and compile VST support
yourself (difficult), or buy a distro like Fervent. There is little to no
efficiency hit from the 'emulation' as far as I know. Running VST plugins
is Linux is still pretty raw, though it's easier than running Jack apps in
Windows. :)

AbsynthVST.dll
Ambience.dll
AnechoicRoomSimulator.dll
+armonicos2.dll
BarsStripes.dll
Battery Demo.dll
Big Tick Hexaline.dll
BLOCKFISH.dll
Boss DS-1.dll
Boss SD-1.dll
Classic Delay.dll
Classic EQ.dll
Crystal.dll
Cyanide2.dll
DebaserDemo.dll
DeeLay_sm.dll
Delay Lama.dll
deloizer095.dll
DFX Transverb.dll
Didjerimoog.dll
dominion v1.2.dll
dronebox.dll
Drumatic_22.dll
E-Kit_trigger.dll
endorphin.dll
E-Phonic XPressor.dll
ersdrums.dll
FLOORFISH.dll
Frohmage.dll
GoldenGate.dll
H2O.dll
JS Vibrato V1.0.dll
jultram.dll
Kontakt Demo.dll
KTGranulator.dll
Laidback-er.dll
LoopaZoid.dll
mabento.dll
MadShifta.dll
mda DX10.dll
mda ePiano.dll
mda Piano.dll
MjMultibandCompressor.dll
MjRotoDelay.dll
NUSofting_HarpTime_fun_Demo.dll
NUSofting_Kazootronica.dll
Octaver12B.dll
Paax.dll
ParisEQ.dll
relofter.dll
resolator_1.03_demo.dll
RetroDelay.dll
SIR_086.dll
SIR_1005.dll
SIR.dll
sloper.dll
SoloString_v10.dll
SpaceLab_Cmpr.dll
SpaceLab_CmprMono.dll
SpaceLab_CombEmu.dll
SPITFISH.dll
Stretch & Squash.dll
SupaPhaser.dll
Syntar.dll
Tape Delay.dll
TapeStop.dll
THD.dll
themodulator2.dll
TLs_Maximizer.dll
ToW_Compressor.dll
Trancemitter.dll
TubeLimit.dll
VoxengoElephant.dll
VoxengoElephantHQ.dll
WNMiasma.dll

> FWIW, I'm somewhat interested in how things are shaping up like on
> Linux, but I'm less thrilled with some troll doing a spamming cross-post
> for the education.
>
> KO
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:07:56 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:25:22 -0700, blckout420 wrote:

> I really wish these Linux geeks would stop cross posting in rec.audio.
> pro.
>
> We don't care what you use. You are just annoying.

This is about recording software. Therefore as far as I'm concerned the
discussion is on topic for rec.audio.pro. I agree the particular OS the
software runs on is irrelevent, unless it affects audio production in some
way.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:28:19 PM

In article <MPG.1d148723cd44a82898ab30@text.giganews.com> Richie Miller <> writes:

> ROFL. Linux and SB Live.

A match made in heaven, for sure.

June 11, 2005 7:36:14 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Yes, I mean who doesn't want to jump through hoops and make it more
complex to record than necessary? I ask you. Run an emulator to use
apps that I can run in Windows itself with full compatibility? If that
floats your boat, more power to you. Can you explain again why anyone
would want to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux for recording? I fail to
see any real benefit.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:40:34 PM

In article <1118499922.679892.323530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> blckout420@aol.com writes:

> We don't care what you use. You are just annoying.

Actually, I would be interested to know what advantages he finds over
those other programs. But they never seem to tell us about any
functional advantages.

June 11, 2005 9:41:49 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:43:20 GMT, philicorda
<philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:

>Here's a list of VST plugins that are known to work in Ardour on x86 Linux
>under Wine/FST emulation. The main stumbling block at the moment is the
>redistribution licence for the VST header files that requires you to
>either download them separately from Steinberg and compile VST support
>yourself (difficult), or buy a distro like Fervent. There is little to no
>efficiency hit from the 'emulation' as far as I know. Running VST plugins
>is Linux is still pretty raw, though it's easier than running Jack apps in
>Windows. :)
>
>AbsynthVST.dll
>Ambience.dll
>AnechoicRoomSimulator.dll

<snip-snip>

Sorry..... using real time applications running under an emulation
does not cut it. I have nothing against Linux and it's variations but
there is currently no way you can come close to matching features
available in modern Windows sequencers. About a year ago I was willing
to give Linux a try but after a lot of investigation I soon realized
it what a futile attempt it would become.

To say nothing of the lack of audio card support. Specifically, full
featured audio support. What good is having an audio card that
supports 16 channels I/O, ADAT compatibility, S/PDIF... if under Linux
all you get is stereo I/O.

re: Linux

I like the idea... but I'd rather pay for what works and what I need.

Ap
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:41:50 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

It's not like the code is emulated. The binaries will run at normal
speed because it's all Intel code being run. The work was done at load
time, patching up references to code that doesn't really exist.

KO

Aphelion wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:43:20 GMT, philicorda
> <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:
>

>>Here's a list of VST plugins that are known to work in Ardour on x86 Linux
>>under Wine/FST emulation. The main stumbling block at the moment is the
>>redistribution licence for the VST header files that requires you to
>>either download them separately from Steinberg and compile VST support
>>yourself (difficult), or buy a distro like Fervent. There is little to no
>>efficiency hit from the 'emulation' as far as I know. Running VST plugins
>>is Linux is still pretty raw, though it's easier than running Jack apps in
>>Windows. :)
>>
>>AbsynthVST.dll
>>Ambience.dll
>>AnechoicRoomSimulator.dll
>

> <snip-snip>
>
> Sorry..... using real time applications running under an emulation
> does not cut it. I have nothing against Linux and it's variations but
> there is currently no way you can come close to matching features
> available in modern Windows sequencers. About a year ago I was willing
> to give Linux a try but after a lot of investigation I soon realized
> it what a futile attempt it would become.
>
> To say nothing of the lack of audio card support. Specifically, full
> featured audio support. What good is having an audio card that
> supports 16 channels I/O, ADAT compatibility, S/PDIF... if under Linux
> all you get is stereo I/O.
>
> re: Linux
>
> I like the idea... but I'd rather pay for what works and what I need.
>
> Ap
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:43:53 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <42aae257$0$1958$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>,
kraigoNOSPAM@bitstream.net says...
> Richie Miller wrote:
>
> > Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
> > Linux?
> >
> > RM
>

> FWIW, I'm somewhat interested in how things are shaping up like on
> Linux, but I'm less thrilled with some troll doing a spamming cross-post
> for the education.

KO, if you didn't read my earlier post about this Linux distro CD product
(Studio to Go!), you might want to check it out - I am NOT a Linux user, but
found this while doing some research on this subject.

For PC Audio recording enthusiasts <g> (no Mac CD available) who are curious
about how the Linux Audio world is shaping up - Fervent Software has put
together a collection that doesn't even require install to disk, just a fast
enough computer with adequate RAM (and, of course, a supported Audio card)
to test the Linux OS and Linux Audio software at the same time. Current
pricing: GBP 49.99 (USD 90.85)

After reading Fervent Software's - public forum - it seems they have done
extensive testing with quite a few computer and audio card combinations, and
have accomplished a fairly painless method for the Linux novice to test the
waters - Load the CD, reboot, and a Linux OS is loaded with the Linux audio
software.

Studio to Go!
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/

Bascially, a commercial linux install (or run from CD) with a lot of the
linux audio software programs that has been mentioned. (Also, there are
similar non-commercial linux projects such as the AGNULA project -
http://www.agnula.org/ - refer to this Sound On Sound article for an
overview of the AGNULA project - http://tinyurl.com/akklh, also SOS article
on Studio to Go! - http://tinyurl.com/9zw7m)

"Studio..to go! is a complete music production environment on a single CD.
What's truly remarkable is you don't have to install any software before you
start using it!

Put the CD in the drive, reboot your computer and get dropped into a
complete music production environment including sequencer, MIDI and Audio
editors, scoring support, soft synths, drum machines, CD ripping and burning
and mastering software. You can use your existing VST plugins and VST
instruments and any Soundfonts with the Studio..to go! software immediately.
When you're done recording you can save your compositions to a USB key and
take them and your software away with you to use on another computer!"

David

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
Email - mailto:C3P_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks David. Perhaps we'll make a silk purse out of this sow's ear of
a thread yet!

KO

David Troxell - Encourager Software wrote:

> In article <42aae257$0$1958$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>,
> kraigoNOSPAM@bitstream.net says...
>
>>Richie Miller wrote:
>>

>>>Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
>>>Linux?
>>>
>>>RM
>>

>>FWIW, I'm somewhat interested in how things are shaping up like on
>>Linux, but I'm less thrilled with some troll doing a spamming cross-post
>>for the education.
>

> KO, if you didn't read my earlier post about this Linux distro CD product
> (Studio to Go!), you might want to check it out - I am NOT a Linux user, but
> found this while doing some research on this subject.
>
> For PC Audio recording enthusiasts <g> (no Mac CD available) who are curious
> about how the Linux Audio world is shaping up - Fervent Software has put
> together a collection that doesn't even require install to disk, just a fast
> enough computer with adequate RAM (and, of course, a supported Audio card)
> to test the Linux OS and Linux Audio software at the same time. Current
> pricing: GBP 49.99 (USD 90.85)
>
> After reading Fervent Software's - public forum - it seems they have done
> extensive testing with quite a few computer and audio card combinations, and
> have accomplished a fairly painless method for the Linux novice to test the
> waters - Load the CD, reboot, and a Linux OS is loaded with the Linux audio
> software.
>
> Studio to Go!
> http://www.ferventsoftware.com/
>
> Bascially, a commercial linux install (or run from CD) with a lot of the
> linux audio software programs that has been mentioned. (Also, there are
> similar non-commercial linux projects such as the AGNULA project -
> http://www.agnula.org/ - refer to this Sound On Sound article for an
> overview of the AGNULA project - http://tinyurl.com/akklh, also SOS article
> on Studio to Go! - http://tinyurl.com/9zw7m)
>
> "Studio..to go! is a complete music production environment on a single CD.
> What's truly remarkable is you don't have to install any software before you
> start using it!
>
> Put the CD in the drive, reboot your computer and get dropped into a
> complete music production environment including sequencer, MIDI and Audio
> editors, scoring support, soft synths, drum machines, CD ripping and burning
> and mastering software. You can use your existing VST plugins and VST
> instruments and any Soundfonts with the Studio..to go! software immediately.
> When you're done recording you can save your compositions to a USB key and
> take them and your software away with you to use on another computer!"
>
> David
>

>>KO

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:43:54 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> You can use your existing VST plugins and VST
> instruments and any Soundfonts with the Studio..to go! software immediately.

And there it is folks. Very interesting indeed.

RM
June 11, 2005 11:04:17 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:36:14 -0700, J.C. Scott wrote:

> Yes, I mean who doesn't want to jump through hoops and make it more
> complex to record than necessary? I ask you. Run an emulator to use
> apps that I can run in Windows itself with full compatibility? If that
> floats your boat, more power to you. Can you explain again why anyone
> would want to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux for recording? I fail to
> see any real benefit.

I gave dynebolic a try and it is pretty decent.
However, even the most basic Windows/Mac program blows away anything on
the dynebolic CDROM. The biggest problem is getting all the linux programs
to play nice together in the sandbox. I have a MAudio Delta 1010 and the
Linux mixers are a mess for this unit. I tried getting the envy24 mixer to
work but I couldn't because it said I had to compile something.
I was lost.
I have no idea what sound driver Linux is using because it seems there are
many.
IMHO the entire thing is a gigantic mess.
I purchased Sony Soundforge 8.0 for $99.00.
It installed in 2 minutes or less and I was up and running.
I have been trying to make Linux Audio work for 2 weeks now and while I
have made progress I'm not really sure I see anything that is better than
the Windows programs I am currently using.
Ok, so it's free. Big deal.
My time is usually not free, although this past week has been dry which is
why I have the time to fool with Linux.
The reality is that I could never see any musician wasting time with Linux
even if it is free.
Powertracks, N-tracks and even audacity for Windows is much better and
will have anyone up and tracking before the creative juices dry up.
Linux?
It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, at least for audio
work.
I am trying to install it on my server though and have been getting great
help from the Linux community.

--
Dana Larsen
(Leave one 6 and remove everything after to reply)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:41:49 +0000, Aphelion wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:43:20 GMT, philicorda
> <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's a list of VST plugins that are known to work in Ardour on x86 Linux
>>under Wine/FST emulation. The main stumbling block at the moment is the
>>redistribution licence for the VST header files that requires you to
>>either download them separately from Steinberg and compile VST support
>>yourself (difficult), or buy a distro like Fervent. There is little to no
>>efficiency hit from the 'emulation' as far as I know. Running VST plugins
>>is Linux is still pretty raw, though it's easier than running Jack apps in
>>Windows. :)
>>
>>AbsynthVST.dll
>>Ambience.dll
>>AnechoicRoomSimulator.dll
>
> <snip-snip>
>
> Sorry..... using real time applications running under an emulation
> does not cut it. I have nothing against Linux and it's variations but
> there is currently no way you can come close to matching features
> available in modern Windows sequencers. About a year ago I was willing
> to give Linux a try but after a lot of investigation I soon realized
> it what a futile attempt it would become.

As kraig pointed out, it's not a problem in theory for plugins, hence the
quotes around 'emulation' as it's not really emulation, but rather
providing a windows compatible API.

I would say that running audio apps like Cubase,Logic etc under Wine
is never going to be that great (If they would work at all)... There are
too many differences in the OSs to trust them to be reliable, even if the
execution speed was the same. Plugins are not so OS specific or demanding,
so it's possible. Copy protection is a real problem though.

Linux audio apps are nowhere near as advanced as those available for
windows... but hey, give me virtually unlimited tracks of 24/96 audio with
non linear editing and automation plus a good software modular and I can
just about rough it. I work mostly with real instruments, and like
outboard effects, so I don't need much, at least for my personal recording.

> To say nothing of the lack of audio card support. Specifically, full
> featured audio support. What good is having an audio card that supports
> 16 channels I/O, ADAT compatibility, S/PDIF... if under Linux all you
> get is stereo I/O.

Which card is that?

> re: Linux
>
> I like the idea... but I'd rather pay for what works and what I need.

To do anything else would be foolish.

> Ap
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:49:22 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:23:11 GMT, philicorda
<philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:41:49 +0000, Aphelion wrote:

>> Sorry..... using real time applications running under an emulation
>> does not cut it. I have nothing against Linux and it's variations but
>> there is currently no way you can come close to matching features
>> available in modern Windows sequencers. About a year ago I was willing
>> to give Linux a try but after a lot of investigation I soon realized
>> it what a futile attempt it would become.
>
>As kraig pointed out, it's not a problem in theory for plugins, hence the
>quotes around 'emulation' as it's not really emulation, but rather
>providing a windows compatible API.

Yes, in theory.

>I would say that running audio apps like Cubase,Logic etc under Wine
>is never going to be that great (If they would work at all)... There are
>too many differences in the OSs to trust them to be reliable, even if the
>execution speed was the same. Plugins are not so OS specific or demanding,
>so it's possible. Copy protection is a real problem though.
>
>Linux audio apps are nowhere near as advanced as those available for
>windows... but hey, give me virtually unlimited tracks of 24/96 audio with
>non linear editing and automation plus a good software modular and I can
>just about rough it. I work mostly with real instruments, and like
>outboard effects, so I don't need much, at least for my personal recording.

I too work mostly with live musicians w/outboard mixer, synths and
some effects. However... it would be difficult to lose 99%
compatibility with other musicians/studios, lose great plugins that
I've paid good money for. I know East/West Symphonic Gold edition is
mot going to run under Linux! :-).

>> To say nothing of the lack of audio card support. Specifically, full
>> featured audio support. What good is having an audio card that supports
>> 16 channels I/O, ADAT compatibility, S/PDIF... if under Linux all you
>> get is stereo I/O.
>
>Which card is that?

The MOTU series, RME, Lynx.

Cards that offer professional audio features.
When I looked at Linux (a year ago) audio card support was seriously
lacking. Cards that did have support did not have all features
available, only basic I/O.

Is there now audio support for 8 or 16 Input audio devices?

>> re: Linux
>>
>> I like the idea... but I'd rather pay for what works and what I need.
>
>To do anything else would be foolish.

Those that tout the advantages of Linux might also consider posting
it's downside. There's no need to slam exisiting Win software (not you
Phil) to prove a point about Linux. (if there is a point other than
it's free, efficient, not Windows and lacks professional features.)

That said, I will probably order the Fervent software CD to see how
things have developed.

Ap
June 12, 2005 3:47:50 AM

J.C. Scott wrote:
Can you explain again why anyone
> would want to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux for recording? I fail to
> see any real benefit.

Hopefully someday Linux will be great for audio. Windows and Mac have
their drawbacks as well.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:41:39 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Good.

June 12, 2005 4:41:40 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi. Troll here. By the way, what exactly is wrong with being a troll? I
simply read the posts when I get a chance to and see if something interests
me. This thread certainly did just that. *L* I just wanted to note(for what
ever it matters from a troll) that the first guy who said he was switching
to Linux didn't seem to me as though he was doing or saying anything wrong
in the very first post. Did I miss something there? Mod did seem to(from
what I saw) "attack" first. Either way, it turned out to be fairly amusing.
I had a few chuckles here and there. In case I did miss it, is there
something wrong with switching to Linux or selling your legal copies of
software on Ebay(if they could be sold, which he seemed to have believed to
be the case)? I personally feel that you should have EVERY right to sell
something that you have purchased. Cakewalk saying I can't sell something I
have paid for(a product, a thing, something I have in my hands that I OWN)
is CRAZY! *L* Anyway, certainly not joining in either side here, just
wondering if I missed something. Back to the troll thing real quick
though... what exactly is so bad about being a troll to a newsgroup? Am I
missing something there as well? Am I expected to log on everyday and type
something so that someone somewhere will think I'm actively participating?
When I do log on, I always throw in a post when it seems I have info that
may help some how, but I don't go to newsgroups very often. Any newsgroup I
ever go to for any subject is just to get info. I didn't realize they were
used for anything else. If I have something to share, I certainly do out of
common courtesy, but I don't just "hang out" and post on them all day. I
have a job and a family that require more time of me than that, and, I enjoy
spending time with friends and family here in real life, so seeking that on
the internet just seems a bit trivial. hmm... that sounded sarcastic. Didn't
mean it that way, I'm just not sure I'm getting the whole concept of this
particular newsgroup? I use a newsgroup like any other type of manual or
research for something I'm doing. If there's something I'm un-shure of, I
pop in and see if it's been discussed, and if not, I post a question and the
nice people here will usually post a reply, and while I'm here, I scan over
other posts to see if I have anything useful to contribute. Let me know if
I'm missing the mark here? Have a good day.

J. Anthony
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:01:36 AM

On , "J. Anthony" <topdaddy@charter.net> wrote:

> In case I did miss it, is there
>something wrong with switching to Linux or selling your legal copies of
>software on Ebay(if they could be sold, which he seemed to have believed to
>be the case)? I personally feel that you should have EVERY right to sell
>something that you have purchased. Cakewalk saying I can't sell something I
>have paid for(a product, a thing, something I have in my hands that I OWN)
>is CRAZY! *L* Anyway,

Of course you can sell it, however it can't be registered in the (new)
purchasers name or upgraded.

Ap
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:07:11 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:12:44 -0500, "J. Anthony"
<topdaddy@charter.net> wrote:

>Let me know if
>I'm missing the mark here? Have a good day.

I think you don't know what a "troll" is. :-)

June 12, 2005 2:25:38 PM

"philicorda" <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote in message

> As kraig pointed out, it's not a problem in theory for plugins, hence the
> quotes around 'emulation' as it's not really emulation, but rather
> providing a windows compatible API.

So that's why 'DX' gets dropped from every plugin discussion ?

geoff
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:25:39 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:25:38 +1200, Geoff Wood wrote:

> "philicorda" <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote in message
>

>> As kraig pointed out, it's not a problem in theory for plugins, hence the
>> quotes around 'emulation' as it's not really emulation, but rather
>> providing a windows compatible API.
>
> So that's why 'DX' gets dropped from every plugin discussion ?

There is zero DirectX audio plugin support. Not many VST plugins
work either. Most software uses the LADSPA plugin API or connects via Jack.

> geoff
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:56:46 GMT, toofar@fromthesun.com (Aphelion)
wrote:

>On 10 Jun 2005 16:11:26 -0700, "Wilson Pettibone"
><wilson_pettibone@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I've really had it with the bloated, buggy software on the Windows
>>platform and I have finally made the decision to move over to Linux
>>because all the software I need is free.
>>I've been test driving some Linux software for the last couple of weeks
>>and truthfully I can't find anything that my Linux software can't do
>>that the others with Windows can do.
>
>What are you using for an audio card?

That's a good question. I've tried running various audio interfaces in
Rosegarden and cannot get anything to work above and beyond the 16-bit
44.1KHz Linux native audio support. Maybe someday Linux will support
advanced audio standards, and maybe one day manufacturers of advanced
audio interfaces will started releasing Linux drivers, but for now,
Linux audio is just a nifty toy.

- TR
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:1118529374.934345.96860@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com the killer
robot "J.C. Scott" <jacyscott@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the
spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> Yes, I mean who doesn't want to jump through hoops and make it more
> complex to record than necessary? I ask you. Run an emulator to use
> apps that I can run in Windows itself with full compatibility? If that
> floats your boat, more power to you. Can you explain again why anyone
> would want to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux for recording? I fail to
> see any real benefit.

Hehe, he wants to get away from "bloatware", and use a Linux recording app
that uses Windows emulation for plugins. That sounds less bloated. <g>

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:gvPqe.18693$mZ2.3519@fe07.lga the killer robot "J. Anthony"
<topdaddy@charter.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> I personally feel that you should have EVERY right to sell
> something that you have purchased. Cakewalk saying I can't sell
> something I have paid for(a product, a thing, something I have in my
> hands that I OWN)

You don't own *any* of the software you have. Read the freeking license
agreement. You own a *license* to *use* the software, nothing more.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:48:01 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:49:22 +0000, Aphelion wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:23:11 GMT, philicorda
> <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:41:49 +0000, Aphelion wrote:
>
>>> Sorry..... using real time applications running under an emulation
>>> does not cut it. I have nothing against Linux and it's variations but
>>> there is currently no way you can come close to matching features
>>> available in modern Windows sequencers. About a year ago I was willing
>>> to give Linux a try but after a lot of investigation I soon realized
>>> it what a futile attempt it would become.
>>
>>As kraig pointed out, it's not a problem in theory for plugins, hence the
>>quotes around 'emulation' as it's not really emulation, but rather
>>providing a windows compatible API.
>
> Yes, in theory.
>
>>I would say that running audio apps like Cubase,Logic etc under Wine
>>is never going to be that great (If they would work at all)... There are
>>too many differences in the OSs to trust them to be reliable, even if the
>>execution speed was the same. Plugins are not so OS specific or demanding,
>>so it's possible. Copy protection is a real problem though.
>>
>>Linux audio apps are nowhere near as advanced as those available for
>>windows... but hey, give me virtually unlimited tracks of 24/96 audio with
>>non linear editing and automation plus a good software modular and I can
>>just about rough it. I work mostly with real instruments, and like
>>outboard effects, so I don't need much, at least for my personal recording.
>
> I too work mostly with live musicians w/outboard mixer, synths and
> some effects. However... it would be difficult to lose 99%
> compatibility with other musicians/studios, lose great plugins that
> I've paid good money for. I know East/West Symphonic Gold edition is
> mot going to run under Linux! :-).

That's the way it is. There is no way I can ever lose my Windows+CubaseSX
system as I have so much archived material recorded with it. Also, it's
reliable and pleasant to use. Compatibility is another issue. I can't
exchange files reliably with other SX users on the Mac, or at all with
other PC users using a more recent upgrade of SX, let alone with other
Windows sequencers.

I get the feeling Linux audio is going to be around a long time,
and I'm in no hurry to dump a working system. As a second audio computer
in the studio it has proved useful though, so I keep hacking away with it.

>>> To say nothing of the lack of audio card support. Specifically, full
>>> featured audio support. What good is having an audio card that
>>> supports 16 channels I/O, ADAT compatibility, S/PDIF... if under Linux
>>> all you get is stereo I/O.
>>
>>Which card is that?
>
> The MOTU series, RME, Lynx.

There's virtually no support for MOTU cards, and probably never
will be. (Only their little midi interfaces work I think.)
Lynx is the same.

RME cards are well supported with gui mixers and all io as far as I can
tell. Not used one myself.

> Cards that offer professional audio features. When I looked at Linux (a
> year ago) audio card support was seriously lacking. Cards that did have
> support did not have all features available, only basic I/O.
>
> Is there now audio support for 8 or 16 Input audio devices?

Yes. I have Delta1010 and Echoaudio Gina20 with all io working and nice
mixers for monitoring, clocking, scms, emphasis, spdif consumer/pro etc.

>>> re: Linux
>>>
>>> I like the idea... but I'd rather pay for what works and what I need.
>>
>>To do anything else would be foolish.
>
> Those that tout the advantages of Linux might also consider posting it's
> downside. There's no need to slam exisiting Win software (not you Phil)
> to prove a point about Linux. (if there is a point other than it's free,
> efficient, not Windows and lacks professional features.)
>
> That said, I will probably order the Fervent software CD to see how
> things have developed.

I'd be interested to hear what it's like.

> Ap
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Good point. Still silly. I should be able to sell my right to use it if I no
longer need to. By the way, someone posted that I must not know what a troll
is. I guess I don't. Could someone spell it out for me please? I guess I
never knew what exactly was meant by that term. Later...

J. Anthony
"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> wrote in message
> In news:gvPqe.18693$mZ2.3519@fe07.lga the killer robot "J. Anthony"
> <topdaddy@charter.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I personally feel that you should have EVERY right to sell
>> something that you have purchased. Cakewalk saying I can't sell
>> something I have paid for(a product, a thing, something I have in my
>> hands that I OWN)
>
> You don't own *any* of the software you have. Read the freeking license
> agreement. You own a *license* to *use* the software, nothing more.
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
> _______ _____ ___ _____ ____
> / ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
> / (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
> \___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
> Glennbo These go to eleven
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:17:54 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:48:01 GMT, philicorda
<philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:

>> That said, I will probably order the Fervent software CD to see how
>> things have developed.
>
>I'd be interested to hear what it's like.

Hi,

Just spoke (emailed) with the fellow from Fervent, looks like I'll
be ordering the CD next week. Wasn't sure if they ship to the US but
it's all covered in the base price.

Ap
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:18:04 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On , "J. Anthony" <topdaddy@charter.net> wrote:

>Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:11 -0500
>
>Good point. Still silly. I should be able to sell my right to use it if I no
>longer need to. By the way, someone posted that I must not know what a troll
>is. I guess I don't. Could someone spell it out for me please? I guess I
>never knew what exactly was meant by that term. Later...

A very excellnt desciption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

As for the software: As mentioned, you cansell it but the purchaser
will not have rights to tech support or upgrades, neither can it be
registered in his/her name.

Before Steinberg was bought by Pinnacle and subsquently sold to
Yamaha. You could sell the software by informing Steinberg (by post)
of the new owners name, your name and the software's serial number.
The new owner could then pay a flat $50 fee to register the software
in their name.

Don't know if the above procedure is still in place, doubtful.

Ap
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:11:22 PM

Aphelion wrote:

> On , "J. Anthony" <topdaddy@charter.net> wrote:

>>Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:56:11 -0500
>>
>>Good point. Still silly. I should be able to sell my right to use it if I no
>>longer need to. By the way, someone posted that I must not know what a troll
>>is. I guess I don't. Could someone spell it out for me please? I guess I
>>never knew what exactly was meant by that term. Later...
>

> A very excellnt desciption.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
>

> As for the software: As mentioned, you cansell it but the purchaser
> will not have rights to tech support or upgrades, neither can it be
> registered in his/her name.
>
> Before Steinberg was bought by Pinnacle and subsquently sold to
> Yamaha. You could sell the software by informing Steinberg (by post)
> of the new owners name, your name and the software's serial number.
> The new owner could then pay a flat $50 fee to register the software
> in their name.
>
> Don't know if the above procedure is still in place, doubtful.
>
> Ap

I think Cakewalk will let you transfer the license, but you do have to
involve them in order for them to recognise it.

KO
June 13, 2005 2:11:23 PM

Kraig Olmstead wrote:

> I think Cakewalk will let you transfer the license, but you do have to
> involve them in order for them to recognise it.
>
> KO

Doesn't Cakewalk also have a 30 day money back guarantee?
June 15, 2005 1:57:05 AM

Aphelion wrote:
>>Interesting. What about all those VSTs, Dxis, plugins, etc? Will they run in
>>Linux?
>
> No, they won't... but he won't need them as his Soundblaster Live has
> builit in effects! Oh wait, SBLive effects aren't supported in
> Linux... darn!
>
> Ap
>>RM

Go to Google and search for' vst and linux' and come out with these results:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vst+and+linux&btnG=...

Specifically look at this: http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/

They say vsts can run under linux using wine, but it looks like a major
pain to set up. I have used Linux for several years and have more than
enough technical skills, but I'd rather would rather spend my music
time recording with Cubase, Tracktion etc and vstis on Windows for now.
If all this could be done with one install they might have something.
But not yet for vsti use.
!