Too loud

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok here's the situation: P4 1700 willamette core with a fan that can be heard 10 meters away. It's driving me crazy! I don't know if the Power supply fan is too loud too... it's just so irritating!

So anyway i don't want to mess with voltages so i wanted to know if there is some sort of software that controls fan speed for you (I don't know the fan model or manufacturer either), or if i should just get a new one (which one??)

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coolcat on 07/07/03 07:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
If you are going for replacement then look for less than 28 dBa. Just make sure that you get enough airflow on to the heatsinks with the best CFM that you can get with quiet speeds. I have found that Sunon fans are nice and quiet with good airflow but make sure that you really check the specs well because most manufacturers make low noise models but the nodel numbers are often similar to the loud beasts. (Delta black label anyone?)

If you need to find out which fan is worst then take them all out and use a multi-voltage adapter on 12v to test them.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

svol

Champion
Try the program called SpeedFan... if your motherboard is supported and the fan is connected to the mobo then in some cases you can slow down the fan with this program.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
just do the 7 volt trick if the fan really is that fast, if the fan is just loud and not that fast the 7 volt mod will be very bad on it.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've got to back up Speedfan too, it is among the few products that if I was asked to register, I would

It's all good ^_^

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Hmmm I tried to use the program but now another problem arose.
I'll explain it better on a picture
<A HREF="http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0150063701/pictures/Temp.jpg" target="_new">Please check here</A>

svol

Champion
Remove the fan from its current fan socket on the mobo and place in in another one. You might need to disable CPU Fan RPM error inside your BIOS if the current fan is connected to the CPU Fan socket.

svol

Champion
Why not? It takes some effort to destroy a PC, changing the fan socket wont damage anything. Just tell him a pro said it... look at my title: I must be a pro.

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok, MR PRO =P
I opened it but there was no other fan socket. It was connected to a white one but there were no others
<A HREF="http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0150063701/pictures/fan.jpg" target="_new">my mobo can you see another?</A>

weeeeee

svol

Champion
Yes... I found two other possible sockets... I encircled them with red.

<A HREF="http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~svo/fan.jpg" target="_new">Click</A>