is "listen to your heart" a blatant ripoff of "what about ..

Last response: in Home Audio
June 11, 2005 12:23:04 PM

i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now
(i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant
plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years
ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted
from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment,
and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some
royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart
song?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:29:56 PM

<jnorman34@comcast.net> wrote in message
>i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now
> (i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant
> plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years
> ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted
> from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment,
> and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some
> royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart
> song?

Well, Heart didn't write 'What About Love', Brian Allen, Sheron Alton and
Jim Vallance did, so when you find out who the artist and song title is of
this newer song check to see who actually wrote it. Check on
www.allmusic.com for starters.

John L Rice
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:01:28 PM

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

> <jnorman34@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now
>> (i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant
>> plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years
>> ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted
>> from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment,
>> and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some
>> royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart
>> song?
>>

> Well, Heart didn't write 'What About Love', Brian Allen, Sheron Alton and
> Jim Vallance did, so when you find out who the artist and song title is of
> this newer song check to see who actually wrote it. Check on
> www.allmusic.com for starters.
>
> John L Rice

Ahhhh, OK. I did a little more research on this.

Year Artist Song Title Composers
1985 Heart What About Love Brian Allen/Sheron Alton/Jim
Vallance

1988 Roxette Listen To Your Heart Per Gessle/Mats Persson

2005 D.H.T. Listen To Your Heart remake of the Roxette song

And it seems that Per Gessle has been sued more than once for ripping people
off :
http://www.roxette.nl/content/nieuwsdetail.asp?id=125&l...

Maybe the title of Roxette's song was a Freudian slip or a cry for help by
Per Gessle. Or maybe he was 'listening to his Heart albums' when he wrote
it? ;-)

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

On 6/11/05 2:29 PM, in article 11ambh67lskknaf@corp.supernews.com, "John L
Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote:

> <jnorman34@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now
>> (i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant
>> plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years
>> ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted
>> from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment,
>> and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some
>> royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart
>> song?
>>

> Well, Heart didn't write 'What About Love', Brian Allen, Sheron Alton and
> Jim Vallance did,

While we're here, who's got the song out that's a 97.563% rip (including
harmonies and arrangement) of Linda's take on Warren's POOR PITIFUL ME ?

If they could win suing George, why not this?
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:10:07 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:20:20 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
wrote:

>On 6/11/05 2:29 PM, in article 11ambh67lskknaf@corp.supernews.com, "John L
>Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote:
>

>> <jnorman34@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> i have heard the new song "listen to your heart" a couple of times now
>>> (i dont know who it is by), and it sure sounds like a significant
>>> plagarization of the song "what about love" done by heart many years
>>> ago. there are entire phrases that they have just completely lifted
>>> from the heart song - melody line, chord progression, accompaniment,
>>> and even basic arrangement. how can they do this? did they pay some
>>> royalty to be able to use so much of the essence of the earlier heart
>>> song?
>>>

>> Well, Heart didn't write 'What About Love', Brian Allen, Sheron Alton and
>> Jim Vallance did,
>

>While we're here, who's got the song out that's a 97.563% rip (including
>harmonies and arrangement) of Linda's take on Warren's POOR PITIFUL ME ?

What is this, am I going to have to make myself listen to top 40
radio to hear the answers to these questions? Or even listen to
forget-his-name, the latest version of Casey Casem, that guy who hosts
American Idle? Perhaps I should start singing "poor, poor pitiful me"
myself...

>If they could win suing George, why not this?

Perhaps they can't find an attorney. Wait til the Jacko trial is
over and more lawyers become available. "We've only just begun..."

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
!