MN-100 Port forwarding not as simple as old router

Last response: in Networking
June 5, 2004 3:31:31 PM

I have a DSL Router that the port forwarding options were
simple and easy. But now I have this MN-100 so I can have
wife's and daughter's computers online in a network. But
I still want to play my games online and the Port
forwarding instructions are vague to me.
The old way was to enter the numbers in the slots for UDP
and then again for TCP and hit enable.Done
If there was no range then you entered the number twice
and if there was a range then you entered the begining
number and the ending number and done
Now I can't even see an area to enter a range. The games
don't list incoming or outgoing ports just the numbers
and nothing has a description as the Broand band utility
wants WHy is this so confusing to me? And Last question
Do I still need to open the ports on my Router if I get
the ports entered correctly on the MN-100 Or will it take
care of it?
June 5, 2004 4:38:17 PM

How many routers are you using? You should only use 1 router in a
house. Only some businesses need more then one router.

D.C. Larreau wrote:

> I have a DSL Router that the port forwarding options were
> simple and easy. But now I have this MN-100 so I can have
> wife's and daughter's computers online in a network. But
> I still want to play my games online and the Port
> forwarding instructions are vague to me.
> The old way was to enter the numbers in the slots for UDP
> and then again for TCP and hit enable.Done
> If there was no range then you entered the number twice
> and if there was a range then you entered the begining
> number and the ending number and done
> Now I can't even see an area to enter a range. The games
> don't list incoming or outgoing ports just the numbers
> and nothing has a description as the Broand band utility
> wants WHy is this so confusing to me? And Last question
> Do I still need to open the ports on my Router if I get
> the ports entered correctly on the MN-100 Or will it take
> care of it?
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 4:38:18 PM

I have one Dsl Modem/Router Hooked into the MN1oo, Thts
all

Related resources
June 5, 2004 7:34:32 PM

If your DSL modem is a router you have no need of a second router.

D.C. Larreau wrote:
> I have one Dsl Modem/Router Hooked into the MN1oo, Thts
> all

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 9:38:44 PM

The Modem/Router Is what the box calls it, the Modem/ro
uter has only one ethernet point so I connected it to the
MN-100 Base station which has the ability to connect to 4
other computers. Does this explain the use of the word
router? I am still looking for help on the port
forwarding issue ?

June 5, 2004 10:55:47 PM

When you connect to your DSL Router what IP address network does it
assign to your computer? The network is based on the IP address &
Subnet mask. Basically any of the 4 octets that have a number in the
subnet mask (zero is not a number technically speaking it is just a
digit) determines the network the Computer is on. If for example your
IP address starts with a 10.*.*.* or a 192.168.*.* it is behind a router
and you should be using a switch instead of a router.

!