Re-installing FS2002/2004

Last response: in Video Games
August 29, 2004 9:11:54 AM

On re-install default settings get lower and lower????
I've trawled the support files but can't find a
solutionr. Drivers up to date, defragged, chkdsk, Directx
up to date etc., etc.??? Does anyone have any ideas?

More about : installing fs2002 2004

August 29, 2004 12:30:03 PM

hi s.s. -
Could you be a little more specific. What 'default' settings
are you referring to? What were they before... and after?
s ---------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 3:22:08 PM

Hi Sam

Thanks for replying. OK this is the story - I was running
FS2002pro without any problems and the default
display/sound settings on installing it used to be:

Global Scenery - high
Global Aircraft - medium
Hardware - Frame rate lock @ 30 & resolution @ 1024x768x16
Sound - medium

I was getting good performance even when autogen and
secenery complexity was at max unless over a big city
and even then the slow down was minimal. I had no
complaints to the point that I have never even bothered
looking at frame rates while flying before.

After reinstalling for the first time it's like I'm on a
different machine, much older, slower etc. On a second
attempt matters got even worse frame rate lock dropped
further etc. The present position is as follows:

Global Scenery - low
Global Aircraft -low
Hardware - Frame rate lock @ 15 & resolution @ 800x600x32
Sound - low

Performance is degraded for sure. It's been progressive
over two installs so I thought maybe a virus is eating up
my software but nothing has shown up on two or three full
scans. The only change to software is that I have
installed Realplayer but I took this off and it didn't
help.

What I don't get is that it's the same version of FS on
the same machine (needless to say that FS2004 which I've
just bought is a complete non starter until I'vs worked
through this problem), ...Im at a bit of a loss here so
any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks Paul.

FS2004 is just not working at
--

Related resources
August 29, 2004 4:38:47 PM

skysimmer,

my first thought when reading your first post was that you may have an
over heating problem.
now i think a de-frag and turning up your resoluton back to 1024x768x16
may help.

what prompted you to do a re-install, and what are specs of machine?

> Hi Sam
>
> Thanks for replying. OK this is the story - I was running
> FS2002pro without any problems and the default
> display/sound settings on installing it used to be:
>
> Global Scenery - high
> Global Aircraft - medium
> Hardware - Frame rate lock @ 30 & resolution @ 1024x768x16
> Sound - medium
>
> I was getting good performance even when autogen and
> secenery complexity was at max unless over a big city
> and even then the slow down was minimal. I had no
> complaints to the point that I have never even bothered
> looking at frame rates while flying before.
>
> After reinstalling for the first time it's like I'm on a
> different machine, much older, slower etc. On a second
> attempt matters got even worse frame rate lock dropped
> further etc. The present position is as follows:
>
> Global Scenery - low
> Global Aircraft -low
> Hardware - Frame rate lock @ 15 & resolution @ 800x600x32
> Sound - low
>
> Performance is degraded for sure. It's been progressive
> over two installs so I thought maybe a virus is eating up
> my software but nothing has shown up on two or three full
> scans. The only change to software is that I have
> installed Realplayer but I took this off and it didn't
> help.
>
> What I don't get is that it's the same version of FS on
> the same machine (needless to say that FS2004 which I've
> just bought is a complete non starter until I'vs worked
> through this problem), ...Im at a bit of a loss here so
> any ideas would be appreciated
>
> Thanks Paul.
>

> FS2004 is just not working at

August 29, 2004 4:43:34 PM

hi Paul -

This is starting to make a lot more sense.
First, it's important to know that FS2004 is far more
demanding of computer resources than was FS2002. At
this point I don't know what the basic specs of your
machine are so you might tell me these five things in
your reply.
What OS are you using?
What CPU are you using?
How much memory do you have installed?
What graphics card do you have?
What version of Direct X do you have?
For your comparison... I can run FS2002 on a 550mhz
machine with 256mb of ram, and get about the same FPS
as I do running FS2004 on a 2.4ghz / 1gb ram / Win XP
machine.
For now, boost your FPS target to about 24. The 15 FPS
setting may be holding you down a little. Set AI traffic
to 0%.
s -----------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:56:59 PM

Hi Sam

The specs are:

Windows XP
1.6GHz Athlon processor
256Mb ram
32Mb SIS 470 Video Adapter (Driver up to date)
DX Ver9.0c

I can see what your saying about FS2004 being more
demanding than 2002 with the new weather generation etc,
but what is bothering me is that now I've reinstalled
FS2002 performance is lower than before. For example
taking the default frame rate lock:

Original installation 30f/sec
2nd 20f/sec
3rd 15f/sec

It's the same with default global texture settings etc. ,
much lower.

As I understand it during installation the software
examines your system to find out it's capabilities and
then sets default values for FS in the config file, i.e.
the best all round for what your machine can do.

So it looks like that each time I have re-installed 2002
the installation software in 2002 has seen degraded
performance in my system. It's the only thing that makes
sense.

I've done the DX tests and nothing wrong there. I've
emptied temp files, defragged, clean booted and so on,
still the same. Flight sims are the hungriest software
that I use so everything else on the machine seems to be
fine.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is this, it's
a bit of a long shot but let me know what you think.

I have three USB ports on my machine and when I first got
broadband I used to treat the modem like a plug and play
device and on one occasion it crashed the machine. When I
restarted the OS had put an icon in the systray to safely
remove the modem by switching it off first. So in effect
XP responded to the situation to prevent further
problems, a protective adjustment made in the software
environment.

Ok, a little while ago I put some scenery into 2002 which
was really demanding on the graphics card, it slowed
things down a lot and so after a while I took it off. I
just wonder if it's possible that XP has responded
protectively to prevent further over demand on the
graphics card. This would explain why after a reinstall
of 2002 performance levels are set much lower. Do you
know if XP can do this or am I just shooting into the
wind here?

Paul

--
>>--

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 10:23:22 PM

Hi

My machines specs are:

Windows XP
1.6GHz Athlon processor
256Mb ram
32Mb SIS 470 Video Adapter (Driver up to date)
DX Ver9.0c

Not top dollar I know but the thing is that 2002 was
performing really well on it until the reinstalls. The
reason why I reinstalled was because I had loaded up a
large chunk of high quality addon scenery. But after a
time I decided to take it off, it was too much for my
card, there was no point in keeping it. But like many
large add ons it modifed the position of buildings,
gates, parking positions etc. and I wanted to return to
the original ms layout. (I have defragged since then).
This is when I discovered that performance was going
downhill. What is the overheating thing you mentioned?

Thanks for any help in advance

Paul.

---
>> --

August 29, 2004 10:49:28 PM

i was referring to the computer running too hot.

you could try taking a side cover off of case and pointing a floor fan
towards inside computer. then run fs2002 for a few minutes and watch fps to
see if it holds or varys.
while you have side cover off, take a look inside and see you have any dust
accumulating, if so get a can of compreesed air from a local office supply
store or a small air compressor that you can run at 10psi and blow dust out
from inside computer case. this will make things run cooler

goodluck!

> Hi
>
> My machines specs are:
>
> Windows XP
> 1.6GHz Athlon processor
> 256Mb ram
> 32Mb SIS 470 Video Adapter (Driver up to date)
> DX Ver9.0c
>
> Not top dollar I know but the thing is that 2002 was
> performing really well on it until the reinstalls. The
> reason why I reinstalled was because I had loaded up a
> large chunk of high quality addon scenery. But after a
> time I decided to take it off, it was too much for my
> card, there was no point in keeping it. But like many
> large add ons it modifed the position of buildings,
> gates, parking positions etc. and I wanted to return to
> the original ms layout. (I have defragged since then).
> This is when I discovered that performance was going
> downhill. What is the overheating thing you mentioned?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance
>
> Paul.

August 30, 2004 12:30:24 AM

hi Paul -
Well, you're asking some good questions, but I think
that the answers, and the fix, will probably lie pretty
much within the FS programs themselves. Do follow up
on the comments of 'me @ comcast' though... he has done
his homework and knows what he's talking about.

Here are a couple of things to try.

In FS2004 there is a file named FS9.CFG (don't recall
the exact location and it's not on this machine). Find
that file and delete (or rename it). When you start
FS2004 the file will be rebuilt with new defaults which
may change how things work for you. I don't know what
the name of the equivalent file in FS2002 is, but me @
comcast probably does and may want to fill that in.

If you have another user account set up on your machine,
you could try a fresh install there so tht you'd have
pretty much of a "clean" shot at how things are configured.

Your computer meets MSFT's spec for FS2004 but actually
is sorta on the edge of whether you will be satisfied
with it. I had a similar machine and finally decided
it was best to stick with FS2002. Other than some better
graphics, FS2004 is not much different, and if you can't
set the graphics up to a point where they look good, what
is the point of trying to suffer through the low FPS?

let us know what happens,

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 6:56:06 AM

Hi Sam