Campylobacter

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I am building a new system from the bottom up (using a few components from my old system). Here are the other components if that will help you answer my question.

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB Hyperthreading
ASUS P4P800 Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Samsung DVD and CDR/CDRW Drives
Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM Harddisk
IBM Deskstar 40GB 7200RPM Harddisk
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value
Enermax 350Watt Powersupply

Alrighty, my quesion is about the Ram I should use. Since both my processor and the motherboard support dual-channel 400MHz DDR, I decided to order a pair of 256MB PC3200 DDR sticks instead of a single 512MB PC3200DDR. From what I have read, you just have to install the sticks together. My question is whether ALL PC3200 DDR Ram is dual-channel if you install them in the right configuration (having the right motherboard/processor of course)? The company that I get all my ram from is just sending me a plain ol' pair of PC3200 256MB DDR sticks. If installed properly, will they support dual channel? I am not overclocking, will generic PC3200 DDR ram work in dual mode?

I have been having a nightmare so far getting parts that work. The first motherboard I got was DOA. Then when my new motherboard arrives it turns out my Ram is DOA as well. The only original parts that I ordered, that work, were the processor and the Radeon. Every time, the system wouldn't POST. I got no display and no beep codes. So now before anything else could go wrong.... I just want to make sure the Ram I am getting will satisfy me. What do you guys (and gals) think?

Thank you kindly,
Noel

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya noel:

Since ram is one of the three most important parts of your computer, i would suggest buying quality ram, Crucial pc 3200.
It looks to me like you are building a gaming machine, wether intentionaly or not.
In any case the fewer modules you have the more stable your computer will be.
I would recommend 2x512 modules, as many of the latest games arriving on the scene are recommending 768MB of ram for optimal playing experiance.
Your generic ram will probably work, however most likely with horrible timings, which will kill your performance in games.

XeeN