Computer to TV with 100hz?

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
Hello,

Iv'e recently purchased a new TV for my livingroom, which goes up to 100hz.
The main reason for this purchase was to be able to connect my PC to the TV and have an output of 100hz.
The problem is that my graphic card goes up to 60hz when it comes to connecting the computer to the TV.

I wanted to know if there is any graphic card out there that will give me an output of 100hz and allow me to view on my TV at it's maximum preformance.

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, American TV's run at 60Hz. Anything else will probably fry your set, unless you're living in a PAL country, in which case you're limitted to 50Hz.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
What are you talking about?
First of all, I live in a PAL area, but what does that have to do with anything?
I said in my first post that I bought a new TV and it goes upto 100hz. When I watch regular TV it will be on 100hz and not 50hz like every other normal TV.
Now the question is if when I connect my computer to the TV I'll be able to watch on 100hz aswell due to the refresh rate limits of the graphic card I don't know if it's possible.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
NTSC and PAL. BTW, please post your type of graphic card and type of TV. Then maybe we can help more.

I understand you want to use your TV as a monitor, that is fine but the quality of images(text) may not be very good.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you've found a non-standard TV, the problem remains that the TV-output of video cards is made for standard TV, so I doubt there's anything you can do about it. Unless you're able to use an RGB connection and find a VGA to RGB adapter.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I bought a Toshiba 34AF8 and I'm currently using a Voodoo 3 3000. I'm pretty sure the Voodoo won't be able to output on 100hz, but will a Radeon 9700 for example might output on 100hz?

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I couldnt find that particular model so I'm assuming that it is a High Def TV. Crashman is right, a regular video card only outputs to a standard TV signal. Since it is a HD TV it will have component inputs(for best quality), so you need a special TV Tuner type card. This card will output a component video signal or a HD15 output and also a audio signal for surround sound. Check out this link, scroll down to the WIN TV HD card, not the WinTV D card. Read up on the specs, it isnt cheap but you can watch HD on your computer monitor, watch HD on your HD TV. Plus you can record TV programs.<A HREF="http://registration.hauppauge.com/webstore/hardware.asp#wintv_hd" target="_new">http://registration.hauppauge.com/webstore/hardware.asp#wintv_hd</A>

the Prisoner

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I'm totally confused now. On another forum people said different stuff... I will just wait for my TV to arrive (in 3 weeks) and I'll see it for myself, thanks everyone.

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
I'm not absolutly certain about your area since you're in PAL area. I'm in the states and from what I understand if the T.V. has what's called a DVI connection, you should be able to get a video card with a DVI connection as well and should allow you to use the T.V. to it's fullest as it's a digital connection that is made mostly for higher end monitors and some of the higher end HD TV's should have a DVI connection, which is like having a VGA connector on the back of a t.v. Hope you get something to work with the T.V.

GK

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
Well I got the TV today, and I love it.

But I guess my hopes were wrong. When I go to properties-->settings-->monitor, I see only 60hz, no option to move it to 100hz. So about picture quality, it's about the same as it was in the old TV. Maybe it's my voodoo3 that limits the refresh rate.

Too bad...

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You might want to check out that link I gave you above then. It is made for HD TVs. Thanks for the update.

the Prisoner

pat

Expert
I think that it is the standard for some HDTV, By doubling the freq, they can display twice the number of line. so, paused image dont "flick". But I'm not 100% sure!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your video card probably can't output that high a resolution to your TV. What standards does your TV support, 720i? 1080i? These are supported by some newer cards.

If you blow up a low resolution signal (VooDoo3) to fit a high definition TV, it will still be a low resolution signal, sorry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Well, I'm surprised you responded after the initial ignorance you received from the thread author. His TV would be 540i as a base resolution.

PAL and SECAM both use the same standard refresh rate, 50hz; NTSC uses 60hz. While NTSC has 60hz-i and 60hz-p (480i/480p/720p/960i/1080i [among the most common]), PAL uses 50hz and 100hz both interlaced (625lines only 540 is picture [therefore 540i] {Modern NTSC is 525/480}), the 100hz is for HDTV signals. Now the 100hz still only gives you 50 Frames per second (25 true frames, [usually based on a 24 frame recording]), because it's drawing/displaying 100 interlaced FIELDS per second. Now in reality it's almost ALWAYS a doubled image, whether it's a simple copy of the previous image or an interpolation of the last and next frame depends on the media/player/tv. This line doubling reduces motion blur somewhat.
What the TV can handle depends on the manufacturer's options. Most will do the conversion internally, but some allow for external converters and accept a direct 100hz signal. The REASON almost ALL modern PAL TVs show 100hz is because they have problems runnin at 50hz with visible artifacts. Now by the same token running the input at anything outside of (50hz) will show visual 'strobe frequency' Antyhing the 'cleanest' high is the halfway point of 75hz, but it's still best to pick either 50/100hz dependng on your TV/card. If the TV can't directly accept 100hz then 50 will be the best, as it also won't handle 75 well either, but 75 will still be better than an off number like 72 or 80, or even 60 for that matter.
If a card is showing 60hz as a recommended output then I would double check that PAL is selected. 50hz is the most desireable for PAL TVs if 100hz is not availible, anything in between will likely look worse. The best solution is actually an NTSC compatible HDTV, it will give you a much better picture using TV out. Using DB15 or DVI should be abou the same on either because it will not run in TV mode and should give you control over resolution and refresh rate. Also expect 720x576 to be the default computer res. for PAL TVs

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

BlueFly

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
Thank you for that nice reply Ape. Cleared some unanswered questions that I had going around.

But tell me bottom line, I have a TV of Toshiba 34AF9 HyperPro Progressive Scan. In the TV options I see 100hz modes, there are about 3.
This is NOT a HighDefinition TV. It's just a normal TV that outputs at 100hz. Now I want to know once and for all, is it possible that I will view on 100hz too when I connect my computer? When I go to Properties, Settings, Monitor -- I see only 50hz (or 60hz, I don't remember). Is this a matter of Videocard (I have Voodoo3 3000), and for example if I go and buy some new safisticated card (Radeon 9700+, GF4+) will it support 100hz?

Thanks.

Now likely you will only see whatever the 50hz output is up-converted to 100hz. Now whether that is exactly doubled or whether it interprets the picture bewteen last and next frame depends on your Toshiba's technology (they likely describe it in the literature that came with it or on their website). You MAY have the option for 100hz DIRECT input, but you would have to read your owners manual or ask Toshiba (I don't know ALL the feaures of all TVs). However I don't think you will find that many of the on-card vga-pal converters will output the 100hz, they usually stick to the bare minimum (I doubt even the newer cards will support that, but you would have to check that too). You may be able to use a DVI-Component adapter and select a higher refresh that way, but be sure the component inputs accept that.
So if your only choice is the 50hz or 60hz, then go with the 50hz like I said, it will create less artifacts on your TV.
The main thing is to check with Toshiba and find out what ALL the various combinations it can display are. Under STANDARD conditions you are likely stuck with 50hz, which will be up-converted to 100hz.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: