Upgrading to windows 7

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
you might find someone selling a copy on ebay relatively cheap. last time i looked it was like 75 bucks for home premium. be very thorough reading the descriptions though. some people are just selling the licenses, and im pretty sure thats illegal.

You should NEVER buy a license key from eBay!
Even assuming it is not a straight up pirated copy, most license keys are non transferable in this manner.
If you do purchase a key in this manner, do not be surprised if Microsoft will not validate it...

The best way is to use the upgrade package. It will be <$100. The benefit is that it gives you both 32 and 64 bit dvd's. It is also considered as retail which allows you to freely move the licence to a different pc(AKA motherboard).
If you have two or three such upgrades in mind. there is a upgrade family pack which gives you a license that can be used on three different pc's. It will cost about $135.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

haha note taken

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well the cheapest way I guess is if you are able to get it via an educational licence. If money is the issue though I'd probably hang out and grab Windows 8 when it is released at the early adopter discount.

My XP crashed horribly a week or two ago and so I thought I'd give the 8 evaluation a go again. Metro still sucks on the desktop, takes a few days to work out where some things are (and Metro isn't really that intuitive), however you soon learn just to ignore it and treat it as a large start menu. Have to say that the last couple of updates have actually made it stable on my Z68 system. For $40 or whatever it is a reasonable upgrade cost from XP ($100 and I'd say no chance!)

I would rather have Windows 7 too, but looks like 8 is the affordable way to update from Vista/XP.

Edit...and oh...the weather button on Metro is quite nice lol

no reason to purchase 7 now. I also recommend waiting for windows 8. you could also use linux in the meantime. You might find that you dont even want to switch to windows afterwards hehe

Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel. There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux distros"). I recommend either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

footer_logo.png
How to install Ubuntu 12.04

705767843.png
How to install Fedora 17

Hi :)

8 will not UPGRADE anything, Vista or anything else...

8 will FORMAT your drive first....vista all gone...

All the best Brett :)

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well I would be assuming that an upgrade from Vista or 7 would let you keep your documents and not much else, but quite frankly I don't think anyone is quite mad enough to trust Microsoft on that front! Always back up my files first:)

Hi :)

There is NO windows 8 UPGRADE out yet......

The version you get now WILL FORMAT your drive and everything will be gone....

All the best Brett :)

TRENDING THREADS