Annoying "roaring" on my hard disk- Help

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Hi,
I noticed that everytime I use a very demaning program, like 3DS MAX 5, which I use a lot, after closing it, the hard drive keeps "roaring" like if it were thinking, endlessly, even if I don't use any other application at all.
In case I use an application, it won't run properly, it will get stuck every 5 seconds,....
I have a P4 2.53 mhz - 1GB DDR 333 - Asus P4G8X-DX- Asus Gforce 4 ti 4200 8x - and a Western Digital 40 GB....
Swap file is set to 3GB
OS- Win XP Pro SP1

could anyone tell me what to do with this?? the computer is absolutely new and I think it is senseless to keep fixing this restarting the system....

Nico -- Nick :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like memory allocated to that program is not being returned to the system when you close the program. With Win9x, this was called a "memory leak". According to all the jerks who promote XP, this doesn't happen in XP. Congratulations on proving them wrong.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah sounds like a memory leak or the swapfile is being excessivly used, which shouldnt be the case with 1Gb of ram.
You may want to have a look at your pagefile settings, IIRC there is some way to make it use all the ram before going to the swapfile, but i cant remember it of the top of my head.

<b>My CPU is so powerful its faster than Melb_Angel's Laptop!</b> :eek: <i>(Plus it's not pink)</i>

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Exactly, I think that is, the swap file seems to be overused when It probably shouldn't since I have 1GB DDR ram.....but I don't seem to find a place where to find that.
I even have "disable paging executive" enabled. so it should use the swap file excesively

anyway, thank you so far and further help will be welcome as well

Nico -- Nick :p