Echo Indigo as replacement to frustrating MBOX?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 13, 2005 9:39:16 PM

Hi there,

You may have read of my year long and somewhat pathetic attempts to get
an MBOX to work with my Thinkpad. I've decided that enough is enough
and I'm going to ebay it.

I would like to replace it with something rock solidly reliable and not
finicky. And smaller than the MBOX would be ideal. I was thinking
that the Echo Indigo I/O would fit the bill. Has anyone used this for
pro recording?

The things that I would be using it for would be for recording my voice
for radio documentary projects, transferring audio from minidiscs and
tapes and occasionally recording live stereo of acoustic music.

I have a Beyer Dynamic M58, and I'm not sure what I would need to do to
get that to interface with the Indigo. Also I would like to get some
recomendations of a good, audio editor with some good eq control (while
being fairly user friendly).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:01:46 PM

Ummm...

thanks for that.

Paul
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:17:24 PM

<http://usbpre.com/&gt;

> I have a Beyer Dynamic M58

Dynamic mics are typically more sensitive to preamp choices than
condenser mics are. The SD box has Lundahl transformers in it -- many
dynamics sound quite different than they do on a transformerless preamp.

Listen to several if you can.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:11:14 AM

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the suggestion. The other thing I failed to mention is
price. Looking to find something that sounds reasonable in the under
$300 range.

Paul
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:20:15 AM

Paul,
I suggest that you go to a pro audio store and have the hardware and
software installed and tested before making any more purchases or
sales.

If you're running anti-virus, messenger, games, internet utilities,
microsoft office etc., they are all likely to have at least one
component that conficts with pro audio hardware/software. You would be
surprised what these programs do in the background (even if they are
not open and running). And that's only the software conflicts. There
may be hardware issues as well.

Mike
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:22:34 AM

paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote:

>> Sound Devices USBPre
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The other thing I failed to mention is
> price. Looking to find something that sounds reasonable in the under
> $300 range.

Keep your eye on eBay and you can sometimes find a USBPre. New they run
$550 street most places.

Good luck.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:19:16 AM

<paulmcevoy75@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118709556.128941.94220@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> You may have read of my year long and somewhat pathetic attempts to get
> an MBOX to work with my Thinkpad. I've decided that enough is enough
> and I'm going to ebay it.

Yes... and I posted a rather inflammatory response there moments ago.

> I would like to replace it with something rock solidly reliable and not
> finicky. And smaller than the MBOX would be ideal.

I suggest not replacing it with anything until you get a grip on using
customer service routes and problem solving in time periods of less
that a year. Sorry....

DM
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:12:28 AM

<paulmcevoy75@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118714506.554580.48650@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Ummm...
>
> thanks for that.
>
> Paul

No sweat. <g> If I was familiar with XP, I would honestly be quite
willing to try and get your M-Box working for you... but I'm no fan of
XP yet and I've never tried any of the Digi stuff on a Windows platform.

I wish I could say more. If you had been on any version of Windows
other than XP, I might have been able to offer some helpful advice in
troubleshooting the problem.

DM
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:18:34 AM

I can't record for more than 1 minute consistently without constant
9129 errors. The buffer is set to its highest setting. I've used both
SP1 and SP2, reinstalled everything, etc.

I thought it was because I was using a USB 2.0 drive external drive
which is not supported, but I disconnected that last night and tried it
on the internal drive and the same thing happened.

My last idea was to get a PCMIA firewire card and run the external
drive off that (it has Firewire and USB 2.0) but DIGI doesn't seem to
support PCMIA firewire cards. Which confuses me because I don't know
how they support the IBM T series laptops, but no way to use a Firewire
card.

The honest truth is that I use this computer for a lot of things, but
I'm pretty careful regarding what I put on it. I do have Office, which
I need, also photoshop, etc. But I don't really have a choice with
those things, and I can't afford two laptops. I don't need a ton of
power, just something that can record well without too much hassle.

Thanks for your thoughts
Paul
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:55:08 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your advice.

If I could get the Mbox to work, I would be very pleased BUT I really
am not sure what else to do. I've already done a clean install of
Windows XP and that didn't seem to help. I've disabled everything that
I could think of and that didn't help. I've just spent so many hours
trying to figure this thing out.

I guess it's too late to ask this question, but is it possible that I
have a bum unit? It does function and occasionally I have been able to
record 1 track as long as 20 minutes. I'm not sure where I'm going
wrong.

Paul
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:55:21 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:39:16 -0400, paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1118709556.128941.94220@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Hi there,
>
> You may have read of my year long and somewhat pathetic attempts to get
> an MBOX to work with my Thinkpad. I've decided that enough is enough
> and I'm going to ebay it.
>
> I would like to replace it with something rock solidly reliable and not
> finicky. And smaller than the MBOX would be ideal. I was thinking
> that the Echo Indigo I/O would fit the bill. Has anyone used this for
> pro recording?
>
> The things that I would be using it for would be for recording my voice
> for radio documentary projects, transferring audio from minidiscs and
> tapes and occasionally recording live stereo of acoustic music.
>
> I have a Beyer Dynamic M58, and I'm not sure what I would need to do to
> get that to interface with the Indigo. Also I would like to get some
> recomendations of a good, audio editor with some good eq control (while
> being fairly user friendly).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Paul

What's happening with the Mbox?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:22:31 PM

In article <1118718674.408386.139000@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> paulmcevoy75@gmail.com writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion. The other thing I failed to mention is
> price. Looking to find something that sounds reasonable in the under
> $300 range.

"Sounds reasonable" is relative, but if you're not willing to spend at
least $300 for your equipment, you'd best be satisfied with "good enough"
and just concentrate on something that works.

There isn't a linear relationship between price and sound quality,
although there's definitely a relationship in the obvious direction.
When it comes to input devices, below $100 or so, you have utility
stuff that just works, and there's no point in comparing which one
sounds better than another in that price class. In the $200-$500
range, you get better sound quality, but again, the differences
between a $200 and a $500 unit are more in features and build quality
than in sound quality. Get over $1,000 and you can take another boost
in sound quality.

Maybe you should augment your computer's built-in sound card with a
respectable mic preamp or even a semi-respectable mixer, and work up
from there as your requirements grow to the point where you can
justify spending more money.

But I'm sure you realize that if you want to use ProTools software,
you'd best work on getting your M-Box working. You won't find a less
expensive route.

June 14, 2005 2:38:34 PM

During boot up press the key for bios setup...... disable the laptop's
internal sound card...... alternately go into control panel and disable
the internal soundcard.
See if you get better results..... Are there more than one flavor of
drivers for the MBOX ie ASIO or others try different ones. The option to
have just the OS and your audio program does not require a separate
machine..... You can either set it up for dual boot with two copies of XP
or get a drive caddy and another hard drive.
You don't mention the software you are using but possibly this is a software
problem rather than hardware..... does it give the same errors using the
internal sound card?..... what type of driver is that card using? I work
in a Win 2K environment so cannot give you more specific instructions....

Regards:
Eric
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:18:22 PM

In article <1118757308.708766.266920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> paulmcevoy75@gmail.com writes:

> If I could get the Mbox to work, I would be very pleased BUT I really
> am not sure what else to do.

One thing you can do is go to a live person for help. This may be
inconvenient, but surely there's someone you can find who's reasonably
local. The M-Box and WinXP aren't exactly rare birds. Dealers are
sometimes even helpful.

> I guess it's too late to ask this question, but is it possible that I
> have a bum unit?

Sure, and finding someone else who has a similar setup can help you to
confirm this. Try your M-Box on his system, or his M-Box on your
system. There's only so much you can do asking questions of people who
aren't there to look with their own eyes.

Fill out this form and post it here in rec.audio.pro:

I live in [your location here]
(optional) which is about [ ] miles/km from [a major city]

I'm having trouble getting my M-Box to work with my [make and model]
computer running Windows XP

Please respond if you have any experience with a similar system. I'll
be happy to bring my stuff over to your studio along with some
[beverage and snack food of your choice] if you'll be willing to spend
an evening helping me out.

> It does function and occasionally I have been able to
> record 1 track as long as 20 minutes. I'm not sure where I'm going
> wrong.

It really sounds like a computer optimization problem. The next time
you feel like doing a clean Windows install, before you load on
anything else, go through the optimization tweaks that can be found on
several web sites. TASCAM used to have a pretty good collection on
their web site. Then, install the ProTools software and see how it
works. If it works well under that condition, start gooking up your
computer with the other applications that you need, checking the
recording function after installing each application. See when it
starts to act up.

June 15, 2005 10:27:31 AM

Paul,
Did you try disabling Microsoft Office's Find Fast utility? This
software runs constantly unless you disable it. It will interfere with
many high demand applications.
Now that you mention installing a USB hard drive... how did you install
it? Was it installed on one USB port or have you used it at any time on
the port that the Mbox is intalled on?

Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:37:26 AM

I use Indigo IO cards with multiple Windows 2k and XP laptops for
location work, mostly recording speech from meetings. I also record
2-track music stuff with it, but this is less frequent. The IO is
rock-solid, totally reliable, and I do not hesitate to recommend it.

However, it does not have built-in preamps like the M-box. I either
plug in to whatever mixer is on-site, or bring a small portable mixer
with me.

-dave
www.themoodrings.com

paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> You may have read of my year long and somewhat pathetic attempts to get
> an MBOX to work with my Thinkpad. I've decided that enough is enough
> and I'm going to ebay it.
>
> I would like to replace it with something rock solidly reliable and not
> finicky. And smaller than the MBOX would be ideal. I was thinking
> that the Echo Indigo I/O would fit the bill. Has anyone used this for
> pro recording?
>
> The things that I would be using it for would be for recording my voice
> for radio documentary projects, transferring audio from minidiscs and
> tapes and occasionally recording live stereo of acoustic music.
>
> I have a Beyer Dynamic M58, and I'm not sure what I would need to do to
> get that to interface with the Indigo. Also I would like to get some
> recomendations of a good, audio editor with some good eq control (while
> being fairly user friendly).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Paul
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:47:53 AM

Hi Ty,

It's a laptop, it only has one internal drive. I believe it is at
least 5400 rpm, I thought it was 7200 but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking one solution would be a dual-boot system with another copy
of XP and Pro Tools on a seperate partition. I'd lose 6 gigs, I think,
but I probably can do it. I'm not sure if there is a way to set up a
profile where PT would be the only program running? That would be a
lot better than having to do a whole partition.

Then I could get a firewire card and run my external drive off of that
and free up the USB. DIGI doesn't seem to support PCMIA firewire
cards, I still don't understand how you are supposed to run your
firewire drive on a USB only computer if they don't support PCMIA
cards.

Paul
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:50:30 AM

Hi Mike,

I don't think that I was very particular about it, to be honest. I
didn't know it was an issue. I've used on both of the two usb ports.

How could I rectify?

I will try disabling the Find Fast utility. Is it possible to create a
seperate profile that will not load anything but PT without creating a
dual boot operating system?

Thanks
Paul
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:17:15 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:18:34 -0400, paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1118755114.881517.43620@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):

> I can't record for more than 1 minute consistently without constant
> 9129 errors. The buffer is set to its highest setting. I've used both
> SP1 and SP2, reinstalled everything, etc.
>
> I thought it was because I was using a USB 2.0 drive external drive
> which is not supported, but I disconnected that last night and tried it
> on the internal drive and the same thing happened.
>
> My last idea was to get a PCMIA firewire card and run the external
> drive off that (it has Firewire and USB 2.0) but DIGI doesn't seem to
> support PCMIA firewire cards. Which confuses me because I don't know
> how they support the IBM T series laptops, but no way to use a Firewire
> card.
>
> The honest truth is that I use this computer for a lot of things, but
> I'm pretty careful regarding what I put on it. I do have Office, which
> I need, also photoshop, etc. But I don't really have a choice with
> those things, and I can't afford two laptops. I don't need a ton of
> power, just something that can record well without too much hassle.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts
> Paul

Paul,

Do you have two internal drives?

Are they both 5400 rpm or faster?

The fact that you use the computer for a lot of other things may also be a
problem. The rule of thumb for good DAW operation has always been a stripped
down system.

Can you create different startup sets with the rest of the stuff turned off?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:09:42 PM

In article <1118846873.188610.310570@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> paulmcevoy75@gmail.com writes:

> It's a laptop, it only has one internal drive. I believe it is at
> least 5400 rpm, I thought it was 7200 but I'm not sure.

5400 RPM is common in the higher grade new laptops, but there are
still a lot of 4200 RPM drives out there. Still, I can record two
tracks at a time (all you can record with an M-Box) with no problems,
even on my three year old laptop that's not particularly tweaked for
audio (as I use it for everyday work too).

June 15, 2005 9:53:02 PM

Paul,

These were both big issues for me to get Pro Tools working on the USB
port.

You can disable or even remove Find Fast.

Perhaps a computer geek can assist on your USB issue. I believe you
right click on My Computer, choose Properties, choose Hardware, click
on Device Manager, open Universal Serial Bus Controllers. At the stage
you're in, I'm not 100% sure from here if you just delete them and re
install all your USB devices, or what. But, I found that by only using
a hard drive on the one port and Mbox on one port, and an external
mouse on one port, and never interchanging between, I had stability and
the software never hung up.

Mike
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:50:24 PM

Ohmigod.

I finally figured it out. I just got 26 tracks on the Dave C test
(from the DUC). No problem.

All thanks to this post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=8379...

I really can't understand why it is so difficult for DIGI to give clear
technical advice. If I had had this information 6 months ago I would
never have had a problem. It seems to be working flawlessly now. I
really can't understand why this thing has to be such a mystery.

Thanks for all your help everyone, you kept me from ebaying this thing.
I hope it keeps working!

Paul

mike.mermagen@gmail.com wrote:
> Paul,
>
> These were both big issues for me to get Pro Tools working on the USB
> port.
>
> You can disable or even remove Find Fast.
>
> Perhaps a computer geek can assist on your USB issue. I believe you
> right click on My Computer, choose Properties, choose Hardware, click
> on Device Manager, open Universal Serial Bus Controllers. At the stage
> you're in, I'm not 100% sure from here if you just delete them and re
> install all your USB devices, or what. But, I found that by only using
> a hard drive on the one port and Mbox on one port, and an external
> mouse on one port, and never interchanging between, I had stability and
> the software never hung up.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:10:25 PM

In article <1118886624.024722.34610@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> paulmcevoy75@gmail.com writes:

> All thanks to this post

I couldn't figure out what the secret trick was from the post in your
link. Can you summarize it here?

June 16, 2005 2:13:17 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:47:53 -0400, paulmcevoy75@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1118846873.188610.310570@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Hi Ty,
>
> It's a laptop, it only has one internal drive. I believe it is at
> least 5400 rpm, I thought it was 7200 but I'm not sure.
>
> I'm thinking one solution would be a dual-boot system with another copy
> of XP and Pro Tools on a seperate partition. I'd lose 6 gigs, I think,
> but I probably can do it. I'm not sure if there is a way to set up a
> profile where PT would be the only program running? That would be a
> lot better than having to do a whole partition.
>
> Then I could get a firewire card and run my external drive off of that
> and free up the USB. DIGI doesn't seem to support PCMIA firewire
> cards, I still don't understand how you are supposed to run your
> firewire drive on a USB only computer if they don't support PCMIA
> cards.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Most Macs fast enough to do audio have FW 400 ports. I don't know the PC
laptop world well enough to know if things are similar. Could be this is
another of those "Macs cost more....(and here's why)" things.

When I bought my Ti book, the seller said, "Wait a week. Mac is shipping a Ti
Book with an analog input.That might be useful for you, right?" Boy Howdy. it
sure was! The 2 channel A/D converter is actually pretty darn nice.
I forget, does the Mbox have ANY firewire ports? I'm thinking NOT. The Digi
002R has two of them. I can plug my laptop into one and an external FW drive
into the other

Maybe you need an 002R. Keep the Mbox and use it as a dongle so you can mix
on the road. :)

Good luck.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com