Audio Mixer

Last response: in Home Audio
June 14, 2005 10:58:24 AM

I have been very happy with my Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer. I love analog
mixers, but I want to record audio digitally. What would be a good
mixer or mixer and digital interface combo for me to buy? I was looking
at Mackie's Onyx and it looks really nice. Is the firewire interface
good on it? Also, does it come with ProTools or some other program?

More about : audio mixer

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:04:16 PM

The thing about the onyx that killed it for me is that the firewire is
before all of the controls. Just preamp and then out the firewire.
There are several usb mixers that allow you to control the signal but
with only 2 channels to the computer.
Steve
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:18:23 PM

In article <1118757504.084322.105060@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> webmoof@gmail.com writes:

> I have been very happy with my Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer. I love analog
> mixers, but I want to record audio digitally. What would be a good
> mixer or mixer and digital interface combo for me to buy?

Well, you could keep your 1202VLZ Pro if you're still happy with it.
Digital recording is mostly about the audio I/O and storage medium.
There are hundreds of audio I/O devices - name your budget and you'll
have a choice of dozens, all pretty good for the money.

> I was looking
> at Mackie's Onyx and it looks really nice. Is the firewire interface
> good on it?

The mixer is a bit cleaner and quieter than the VLZ Pro, and the
equalization sounds a whole lot better. But if you'll only be using it
as an audio interface for your computer, it might not be very cost
effective. There's a lot of misunderstanding about how the Firewire
option works. You'd think that, when plugged into a computer, it would
turn your mixer into a workstation, but that's not how it works. It
gives you direct outputs (pre-everything but the gain trim control -
no EQ, no fader) from the mic preamps to the computer. You have as
many inputs to the computer as you have mic and line channels,
depending on the size Onyx you buy. It also sends the main stereo mix
to the computer as two other channels. This is the only way that you
can use the Onyx EQ in your tracks. Playback is simply two channels
from the computer into the monitor section of the mixer, so you can't
even use the EQ on that. And of course the faders don't control
anything when mixing the tracks on your computer. You have to do all
of that in your DAW program.

In summary, the Onyx is a fine mixer for doing live shows, and with
the Firewire option, is fine for recording everything that goes into
each microphone on a separate track on your computer, for later mixing
in the computer. It's also fine for recording a stereo mix if you're
into live mixing (or you just want to record the PA mix as a quickie
so you can burn a CD of that while you're packing up the rest of the
gear and play it in the car on the way home.

> Also, does it come with ProTools or some other program?

It comes with a program called Tracktion. A bit quirky but functional.
And the Onyx will work with any other software that talks to ASIO or
WDM drivers. There's no ProTools for Onyx, however, and I doubt that
there ever will be.

June 14, 2005 11:04:24 PM

"Echols" <s.echols2@verizon.net> wrote:

>The thing about the onyx that killed it for me is that the firewire is
>before all of the controls. Just preamp and then out the firewire.

What is the problem with that? Digital controls only - loosing 3 of
24 bits?

Norbert
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:04:25 PM

"Norbert Hahn" <NorbertHahn@gmx.net> wrote in message news:9f3ua1ppghiq5p2oeoteceiam4jad7no9d@4ax.com...
> "Echols" <s.echols2@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >The thing about the onyx that killed it for me is that the firewire is
> >before all of the controls. Just preamp and then out the firewire.
>
> What is the problem with that? Digital controls only - loosing 3 of
> 24 bits?

Some folks believe in getting the sounds they want, recorded the way
they want them, in the first pass... saving very little for the mixdown.

DM
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:52:13 AM

Echols wrote:
> The thing about the onyx that killed it for me is that the
firewire is
> before all of the controls.

Why would that be a problem?

> Just preamp and then out the firewire.

That's how lots of people do it.

> There are several usb mixers that allow you to control the
signal but
> with only 2 channels to the computer.

Seems like a more powerful multichannel approach could be a
product.
!