Mic recommendations needed

Last response: in Home Audio
June 14, 2005 2:40:36 PM

I have only $1k to spend on a vocal mic AND two drum overheads for my
home studio. What, in your opinion, would be the bang-for-the-buck
combination? At the present moment I'm borrowing 2 MK-12's and an
MK-219 from a friend (who might have something of an Oktava fetish...)
but he's moving away, so I'll have to buy some of my own. I realize
$1K is scarcely enough for the vocal mic alone, nevertheless, its what
I have. I was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros
have to say?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:46:33 PM

What sort of vocals are you recording? Male? Rock?
You could always grab a matched pair of the Oktava's from the Sound
Room and then grab a Shure SM7. Probably even have money left over for
a nice BLUE mic cable or nice boom stand.
Or, if you won't be needing the mics at the same time, look for a
couple of used AKG 451E mics with the CK1 capsules. Then grab the
lollipop capsule from BLUE. The 451's should run you about $250-300 ea
and then the BLUE cap will run $400 or so. I forget what they sell for
off the top of my head.
later,
June 14, 2005 3:11:18 PM

jeffontheleft wrote:
> I have only $1k to spend on a vocal mic AND two drum overheads for my
> home studio. What, in your opinion, would be the bang-for-the-buck
> combination? At the present moment I'm borrowing 2 MK-12's and an
> MK-219 from a friend (who might have something of an Oktava fetish...)
> but he's moving away, so I'll have to buy some of my own. I realize
> $1K is scarcely enough for the vocal mic alone, nevertheless, its what
> I have. I was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros
> have to say?

Bang for the buck:

Audio Technica AT4050 (LDC 3 pattern: Omni, Cardioid, Figure of 8) $500.00 USD
Rode NT-5 Stereo Pair (SDC) pencil mics $400 USD

Very nice and versatile set can be used for almost anything.

--fletch
June 15, 2005 12:52:33 PM

"jeffontheleft" <marcel.graf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have. I was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros
> have to say?

I've never sold sexual favours, but I would strongly recommend teh Rode K2
as the vocal (and whatever) mic. But you really need to try the candidates
to know for sure, and even then it may not work best on different artists.

Despite descriptions such as 'splashy', I still love my Soundroom MC012As
for SDs.

geoff
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:56:00 PM

If these are the new "reissue" 451's, I don't think that they are
modular the way the originals were, and therefore might not support the
very nice Blue lollipop capsule.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:53:24 PM

I had some good results with SE2000A's by studio electronics as
overheads, I'm told their Gemini is nice too. It certainly looks the
part. Made in China don't ya know, should be able to swing them for the
Grand.
DS
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:28:33 PM

In article <1118850960.824401.5020@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Haolemon <gary_flanigan@ce9.uscourts.gov> wrote:
>If these are the new "reissue" 451's, I don't think that they are
>modular the way the originals were, and therefore might not support the
>very nice Blue lollipop capsule.

In fact, the reissues bear very little resemblance to the original 451.
--scott

June 15, 2005 10:38:23 PM

Agent 86 wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:40:36 -0700, jeffontheleft wrote:
> > I have only $1k to spend on a vocal mic AND two drum overheads for my home
> > studio. What, in your opinion, would be the bang-for-the-buck
> > combination? At the present moment I'm borrowing 2 MK-12's and an MK-219
> > from a friend (who might have something of an Oktava fetish...) but he's
> > moving away, so I'll have to buy some of my own. I realize $1K is
> > scarcely enough for the vocal mic alone, nevertheless, its what I have. I
> > was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros have to say?

> Can you get that for $100? How many different voices are you planning on
> recording, The 103 is a really cool mic, but it doesn't work on every
> voice.

If you want the Neumann for name recognition (who doesn't?)
the TLM193 might be a better first choice. Less bright
and possibly more versatile.

> I'd probably go for the NT5 pair over the NT4 for versatility's sake. Then
> look at an AT4050 or an RE20. You'll have a little left over for stands &
> cables.

Given the choice I would go for a pair rather than a stereo
mic as well and the NT's work well on drums. The 4050 is a
good cost effective alternative to the TLM's, but I also
think everyone needs an RE20 ;-]

These are great starting points,
good luck
rd
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:05:45 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:40:36 -0700, jeffontheleft wrote:

> I have only $1k to spend on a vocal mic AND two drum overheads for my home
> studio. What, in your opinion, would be the bang-for-the-buck
> combination? At the present moment I'm borrowing 2 MK-12's and an MK-219
> from a friend (who might have something of an Oktava fetish...) but he's
> moving away, so I'll have to buy some of my own. I realize $1K is
> scarcely enough for the vocal mic alone, nevertheless, its what I have. I
> was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros have to say?

Can you get that for $100? How many different voices are you planning on
recording, The 103 is a really cool mic, but it doesn't work on every
voice.

I'd probably go for the NT5 pair over the NT4 for versatility's sake. Then
look at an AT4050 or an RE20. You'll have a little left over for stands &
cables.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:42:21 AM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:38:23 -0700, RD Jones wrote:

> If you want the Neumann for name recognition (who doesn't?) the TLM193
> might be a better first choice. Less bright and possibly more versatile.

True, but it shoots most of your budget right there. Now if you can live
with mono overhead & don't mind it kind of dark...
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:21:51 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:28:33 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article <d8ps0h$ps6$1@panix2.panix.com>):

> In article <1118850960.824401.5020@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Haolemon <gary_flanigan@ce9.uscourts.gov> wrote:
>> If these are the new "reissue" 451's, I don't think that they are
>> modular the way the originals were, and therefore might not support the
>> very nice Blue lollipop capsule.
>
> In fact, the reissues bear very little resemblance to the original 451.
> --scott

I think I have a review of the new 451 in my archive.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
June 16, 2005 6:21:48 PM

Both an AT4050 and a pair of MC012's ( with the extra caps) have come
up for sale on this group in the last two days. I'd say there is
everything you need with money left over for stands and cords.
By the way I have 2 4050's and a 3 cap MC012 myself and they have seen
a lot of service over the several years I've had them even with many
other mics to choose from.
Paul
www.glitchless.net

On 14 Jun 2005 10:40:36 -0700, "jeffontheleft"
<marcel.graf@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have only $1k to spend on a vocal mic AND two drum overheads for my
>home studio. What, in your opinion, would be the bang-for-the-buck
>combination? At the present moment I'm borrowing 2 MK-12's and an
>MK-219 from a friend (who might have something of an Oktava fetish...)
>but he's moving away, so I'll have to buy some of my own. I realize
>$1K is scarcely enough for the vocal mic alone, nevertheless, its what
>I have. I was thinking maybe an NT4 and TLM-103. What do the pros
>have to say?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:32:38 PM

Cool, there seems to be a consensus on the Rode NT5's. Does everyone
agree that the AT-4050 is , if not the best, one of the better
proletariat vocal condenser mics? I wish there were a way to test mics
without spending money. It seems like the cheapest way to do that
would be to booking time at a well-equipped, expensive-ass studio. I
could also buy these new and return them after trying them out, but
that doesn't seem right. So, trial and error I guess.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:34:21 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:32:38 -0400, jeffontheleft wrote
(in article <1118971958.018799.59790@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Cool, there seems to be a consensus on the Rode NT5's. Does everyone
> agree that the AT-4050 is , if not the best, one of the better
> proletariat vocal condenser mics? I wish there were a way to test mics
> without spending money. It seems like the cheapest way to do that
> would be to booking time at a well-equipped, expensive-ass studio. I
> could also buy these new and return them after trying them out, but
> that doesn't seem right. So, trial and error I guess.

THE best is almost impossible to answer. It'll do very nicely and you'll hear
a lot of squabbling from others about their favorites. You'll make no mistake
in getting one. Yes, a prole's tool and then some.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:55:22 PM

On 14 Jun 2005 10:46:33 -0700, mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:
-----------------------------8<----------------
>lollipop capsule from BLUE. The 451's should run you about $250-300 ea
>and then the BLUE cap will run $400 or so. I forget what they sell for
>off the top of my head.
>later,
--I've recently come across another Russian microphone manufacturers,
"Nevaton":

http://www.nevaton.freeservers.com/MC416.htm

This microphone has very big membranes, 33 mm. Perhaps they are in the
similar price range as Blue.

Edi Zubocix, Crikvenica, Croatia
!