Which Scanner should I purchase?

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I'm going to purchase a new scanner. Have you any recommendations for which Scanner should I purchase?

This Scanner will mainly be used for scanning photos and sometimes for other documents.

Thanks for your time!

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I love my Epson Perfection 2400 for exactly that, scanning photos and an occasional document. One thing, if you really want quality scans of photos, get a scanner with a good CCD sensor rather than a CIS sensor.
-Brettster

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
What is difference between CCD and CIS sensors? Which sensors Epson Scanners have?

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I am not sure what the difference is between CIS and CCD sensors, I just know that you'llgenerally get sharper images and more accurate colors from a CCD than a CIS. Epson scanners all have CCD sensors in them as far as I know. A lot of the lower end Canon scanners have CIS's and I've also seen it in some Microtek scanners. I chose the Epson 2400 because it will make 2400 x 2400 dpi and has a Dmax of 3.2 (in case I ever want to attempt to scan negatives). The 2480 seems like the sweet spot to me, but if 2400 x 2400 isn't enough then the 3170 isn't too bad a value right now either, with a Dmax of 3.4. Incidentally, Dmax rates the scanners ability produce color depth or ability to read a range of light from lightest to darkest. It's really only important if you'll be scanning transparencies or negatives.
-Brettster

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Thanks smitbret!

I think I'll be happy with Epson Perfection 2400.

Well, I don't think I'll be scanning Negatives or Tranparencies. But one thing -- I'll do OCR. I was wondering if one scanner is better than other in OCR?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,
I just found out my old Microtek scanner wont work w my new computer. I would like to get a new scanner. My old one does pictures and negatives, therefore I do not need that. What I would like is one that I can put in papers (mainly black + white) and have it scan it. I would like one faster than the one I was using. Can you suggest a good scanner that auto feeds? Cost about $200 is what I can spend. I would like to be able to use Photo Impact with it too. Do these new scanners save to jpg?
Thanks
Nick