What is an "n-1" bus?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 15, 2005 12:23:56 AM

It is my understanding that it is has to do with a mix minus but what
is the origin of the term "n-1 bus"?
Thanks

More about : bus

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:19:38 PM

Captain Cornhole wrote:
> It is my understanding that it is has to do with a mix minus but what
> is the origin of the term "n-1 bus"?

N: Canonical pseudo-mathmatical representation for "some number of these".

-1: Minus one.

In other words, "everything but one."

(Sign in a store: "We speak geek!")
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:27:06 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:23:56 -0400, in rec.audio.pro Captain Cornhole
<edas@myway.com> wrote:

>It is my understanding that it is has to do with a mix minus but what
>is the origin of the term "n-1 bus"?
>Thanks
n is the number of channels that you have on the mixer. You send
everything to a bus except the channel's own contibution ie n -1

also called clean feed in the UK

martin
June 16, 2005 9:19:00 PM

Captain Cornhole wrote:
> It is my understanding that it is has to do with a mix minus but what
> is the origin of the term "n-1 bus"?
> Thanks

Also with "n-1" you usually have multiple channels assigned to a
common buss, and you add the signal from a channel back into the buss
with it's polarity inverted so it cancels itself out. This is usually
done in that individual channel itself on an analog desk, and the
result is fed out of the channel's direct out to the remote/phone
coupler, so you can have as many mix minuses as you have mixer
channels.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News Channel/M-AES
'The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
June 17, 2005 8:55:55 AM

Captain Cornhole wrote:
> It is my understanding that it is has to do with a mix minus but what
> is the origin of the term "n-1 bus"?
> Thanks

It's when Ben Wallace gets fouled going to the hole but still makes the
shot. n-1.
!