Autolanding in FS2004

Tim

Is there anyone who can properly explain how auto landing
works? I'm flying the Learjet 45 on FS2004 and after
reading and implementing every poorly written instruction
from the FS2004 Learning Center, I cannot get auto
landing (ILS localizer) to catch and descend the aircraft
on the proper glide slope. Does anyone have any idea if
the feature even works on FS2004? And please don't tell
me that landing it by myself is "more fun". That's what I
have been trying to do for weeks only to discover that it
is virtually impossible with the Learjet, which is why I
want to use the auto landing feature. Thanks.

Joe

Can it be done ? I thought auto land is not implemented.

Is it that hard to land a Learjet ? I'm having so much fun
landing a 777.

Regards.

ME

tim,

do a "find' in this newsgroup for "FS2004 and Baron 58- Missing information"
in 'subject' you'll find several answers for your ILS question.

"Tim" <lbcorp1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Is there anyone who can properly explain how auto landing
> works? I'm flying the Learjet 45 on FS2004 and after
> reading and implementing every poorly written instruction
> from the FS2004 Learning Center, I cannot get auto
> landing (ILS localizer) to catch and descend the aircraft
> on the proper glide slope. Does anyone have any idea if
> the feature even works on FS2004? And please don't tell
> me that landing it by myself is "more fun". That's what I
> have been trying to do for weeks only to discover that it
> is virtually impossible with the Learjet, which is why I
> want to use the auto landing feature. Thanks.

katy

Hi "Tim" <lbcorp1@earthlink.net>! On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:09:27 -0700,
in microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation you wrote:

>Is there anyone who can properly explain how auto landing
>works? I'm flying the Learjet 45 on FS2004 and after
>reading and implementing every poorly written instruction
>from the FS2004 Learning Center, I cannot get auto
>landing (ILS localizer) to catch and descend the aircraft
>on the proper glide slope. Does anyone have any idea if
>the feature even works on FS2004? And please don't tell
>me that landing it by myself is "more fun". That's what I
>have been trying to do for weeks only to discover that it
>is virtually impossible with the Learjet, which is why I
>want to use the auto landing feature. Thanks.

Autoland is not implemented since FS2002 for default aircraft, some
add-ons offer it, just take over at the decision height instead... ;-)

---
All the Best
Katy Pluta, MS_MVP for Simulators
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Asking questions the right way:
http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm#Asking

FS FAQ at http://www.simflight.com

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.projectmagenta.com

Here's what I do, which will land the plane at least semi-automatically:

- Fly an IFR flight plan (if you don't, you'll have to get the altitude
and hdg for the "last" step right by yourself.)

- Have the Autopilot (AP) enabled with the NAV/GPS switch set to GPS and
the AP NAV button active. The ALT hold button in the AP should also be
active. Have the Autothrottle (AT, the IAS button) enabled.

- At some point, ATC will tell you to get off the calculated route (turn
right heading xyz). By then, use the HDG button on the autopilot and set
the NAV/GPS switch to NAV.

- When you're told the runway you'll be landing on, tune NAV1 to the
corresponding ILS frequency.

- Follow all instructions ATC gives you (altitude/heading changes). This
is all done by changing AP settings.

- Also remember to adjust your speed accordingly on the AT

### this is the important stuff :) ###
- You'll eventually hear something like "turn left heading 030, descend
to 3000. Maintain 3000 until establihed on the localizer". By then, you
should have the HDG and ALT buttons of the AP on. Do what they say and
scan your instruments. When you see both the localizer and glidescope
indicator, turn on the APR button on the AP. You should now have HDG,
ALT and APR on.
### end important stuff ###

- When the plane gets close to the runway course, the HDG will turn off
and the plane will align with the runway.

- When the plane intercepts the glide scope, ALT will turn off and the
plane will descend.

- Remember you still have to control speed, flaps, gear, landing lights
etc. by hand. A good speed to go for when descending is 140 kts. Set
this in the AT and the plane will slow down to touchdown speed while
descending.

- Just before touchdown (somewhere around the inner marker), disable the
AT, so you can reduce power to idle when appropriate.

- The plane will happily land with the AP enabled, just disable it when
you're on the runway.

This works under most conditions. It may not work perfectly when there
are strong crosswinds (the plane would "slide" to the side of the
runway. But well, this happened when landing on the Bahamas with
real-world weather enabled a few days ago, during the Hurricane... Got
the plane to land by hand, though *phew*)

It also works with the really big jets (747, 777) although they (nearly(
always seem to fly _below_ the glide scope, thus touching down very
close to the beginning of the runway - or even before the runway. I
assume that it has something to do with the proper timing of
flaps/airspeed changes, though (i.e., it's my fault).

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit

Happy flying!
Chris

--