An Interesting Microphone Info Web Site

Last response: in Home Audio
June 15, 2005 1:41:30 PM

Don't go here until you have at least an hour to spend:

http://www.coutant.org/

Lots of photos, data sheets, ads, and sound samples of a large
assortment of mics from old to new. Includes some of the r.a.p.
favorites - RE11/15/16, RE20, EV635, U47, all the classic Western
Electric and RCA models, even some modern AKG models, Studio Projects,
C1, and the Blue Ball.

Conspicuous by their absence - Beyer mics

June 15, 2005 1:41:31 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> Don't go here until you have at least an hour to spend:
>
> http://www.coutant.org/
>
> Lots of photos, data sheets, ads, and sound samples of a large
> assortment of mics from old to new. Includes some of the r.a.p.
> favorites - RE11/15/16, RE20, EV635, U47, all the classic Western
> Electric and RCA models, even some modern AKG models, Studio Projects,
> C1, and the Blue Ball.
>
> Conspicuous by their absence - Beyer mics

Some really great stuff on there. Someone spent a whole lot of time
researching that stuff and digging up photos. Agreed - it's not
comprehensive, and there are quite a few things missing. No Sennheiser
441 or 416, no Beyer, no DPA, no Schoeps, etc. And at the same time,
there's more than needed on the current cheap AKG stuff, for instance.
But the photos, descriptions and data on the really old mics is
wonderful.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:42:27 PM

> http://www.coutant.org/
>
> Lots of photos, data sheets, ads, and sound samples of a large
> assortment of mics from old to new. Includes some of the r.a.p.
> favorites - RE11/15/16, RE20, EV635, U47, all the classic Western
> Electric and RCA models, even some modern AKG models, Studio Projects,
> C1, and the Blue Ball.
>
> Conspicuous by their absence - Beyer mics

They also missed the Western Electric condenser omni, the one that looked
like a shotput with a plate attached, and which probably gave us the old
symbol for a microphone, the circle with a line on one side. I believe this
was used on a lot of early electrical recordings.

Peace,
Paul
June 16, 2005 1:06:13 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> http://www.coutant.org/

Yes !
Great resource. I stumbled across this a while
ago when searching for specs on some EV's that
the mfg site doesn't have. Lot's of cool stuff.

> Lots of photos, data sheets, ads, and sound samples of a large
> assortment of mics from old to new. Includes some of the r.a.p.
> favorites - RE11/15/16, RE20, EV635, U47, all the classic Western
> Electric and RCA models, even some modern AKG models, Studio Projects,
> C1, and the Blue Ball.

Looks like a bit has been added since
I first found the site.

> Conspicuous by their absence - Beyer mics

Yeah ... can't have it all I guess.

rd
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:13:45 AM

On 6/15/05 9:41 AM, in article znr1118839877k@trad, "Mike Rivers"
<mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Don't go here until you have at least an hour to spend:
>
> http://www.coutant.org/

WOW!
The Dourrough site link in metering alone, with the video/audio primers, is
worth the trip for anybody who doesn;t get the concept of dynamics!
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:05:15 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:41:30 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article <znr1118839877k@trad>):

> Don't go here until you have at least an hour to spend:
>
> http://www.coutant.org/
>
> Lots of photos, data sheets, ads, and sound samples of a large
> assortment of mics from old to new. Includes some of the r.a.p.
> favorites - RE11/15/16, RE20, EV635, U47, all the classic Western
> Electric and RCA models, even some modern AKG models, Studio Projects,
> C1, and the Blue Ball.
>
> Conspicuous by their absence - Beyer mics

Right. We talked recently about combining my review archive with his.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
July 8, 2008 8:13:08 PM

Hello, good people. The first Beyer mic on my site is this one; scroll to the "Next page" button at the bottom to continue to other Beyer mic pages:

http://www.coutant.org/beyer201/index.html

The Table of Contents can be found here:

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

Of course I am adding more mics to the site all the time. Regarding the Sennheiser MD 441-U, it can be seen and heard here:

http://www.coutant.org/md441u/index.html

Thanks for your interest.

Stan Coutant

Prof. S. O. Coutant, retired