SanDisk SD WiFi with 256MB memory

a b } Memory
July 14, 2004 9:46:04 AM

OK, so we know that SanDisk has a Wi-Fi card that works with the Zire 71. They
also make one with 256MB if imbedded memory. That one does not list support for
the Zire 71. Does anyone know if it would still work, and why not? Thanks.

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/256mb-wifi-sd.asp

Galley
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 15, 2004 8:02:42 AM

I'm not even sure that the SD card without memory is supported for the Zire
71. The SanDisk website claims here
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-wifi-sd.asp that it is but on that very same
page, there are no driver downloads for the Zire 71.

Further, this SanDisk compatibility page
http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/download/sdwifi/sdwifi_...
for the SD card sans memory does not list the Zire 71.

I haven't seen ANY reports of folks actually getting this configuration to
work yet.

I reckon ya takes ya chances with this little baby and the Zire 71.

"Galley" <Galley@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com> wrote in message
> OK, so we know that SanDisk has a Wi-Fi card that works with the Zire 71.
They
> also make one with 256MB if imbedded memory. That one does not list
support for
> the Zire 71. Does anyone know if it would still work, and why not?
Thanks.

> http://www.sandisk.com/retail/256mb-wifi-sd.asp
>
> --
> "I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
> Galley
July 15, 2004 3:41:49 PM

In article <40f57c4a$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>, someone@somewhere.com
says...
> I'm not even sure that the SD card without memory is supported for the Zire
> 71. The SanDisk website claims here
> http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-wifi-sd.asp that it is but on that very same
> page, there are no driver downloads for the Zire 71.
>
> Further, this SanDisk compatibility page
> http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/download/sdwifi/sdwifi_...
> for the SD card sans memory does not list the Zire 71.
>
> I haven't seen ANY reports of folks actually getting this configuration to
> work yet.
>
> I reckon ya takes ya chances with this little baby and the Zire 71.
>
> "Galley" <Galley@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com> wrote in message
> > OK, so we know that SanDisk has a Wi-Fi card that works with the Zire 71.
> They
> > also make one with 256MB if imbedded memory. That one does not list
> support for
> > the Zire 71. Does anyone know if it would still work, and why not?
> Thanks.
> >
> > http://www.sandisk.com/retail/256mb-wifi-sd.asp
> >
> > --
> > "I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
> > Galley

Not true.

I know a few people with the Sandisk WiFi card in their Zire71.
Understand though, they have the NEW card that is packaged as "now works
with the Palm Zire71" or similar wording. The OLD cards do not work.

As to why the WiFi/RAM cards don't work, it goes back to the same
problem as the old WiFi card. Either the card doesn't meet the specs
for SD or Palm didn't meet the specs for SD. Mostly it came down to two
faults from Palm. 1. Not enough power is supplied to the slot. 2.
Driver licensing issues.
a b } Memory
July 16, 2004 10:11:44 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:41:49 GMT, stromm <strommsarnac@yahoo.com> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>Not true.
>
> I know a few people with the Sandisk WiFi card in their Zire71.
>Understand though, they have the NEW card that is packaged as "now works
>with the Palm Zire71" or similar wording. The OLD cards do not work.
>
> As to why the WiFi/RAM cards don't work, it goes back to the same
>problem as the old WiFi card. Either the card doesn't meet the specs
>for SD or Palm didn't meet the specs for SD. Mostly it came down to two
>faults from Palm. 1. Not enough power is supplied to the slot. 2.
>Driver licensing issues.

Not enough power was my guess.

Galley
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 16, 2004 10:17:35 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:48:00 -0500, Scarab1 <nospam2scarab1@mindspring.com>
spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>While idly stirring the alphabet soup, stromm
><strommsarnac@yahoo.com> found this in
>

>> I know a few people with the Sandisk WiFi card in their Zire71.
>> Understand though, they have the NEW card that is packaged as "now
>> works with the Palm Zire71" or similar wording. The OLD cards do
>> not work.
>>

>Do you know where they purchased the Zire 71 SD Wi-Fi card? I
>haven't had any luck finding it and Sandisk's order site doesn't even
>show that it works for the Zire 71.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Is this the page you were looking at?
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-wifi-sd.asp
I noticed that Zire 71 is not specified when you click on the "buy direct"
button. However, it is on the main product page. I'm sure it's just simple
error.

Advanced Features
• Fast, strong connections to 802.11b HotSpots worldwide
• Optimized functionality for the lowest power and highest performance
• Support for PDA: Pocket PC 2002/2003, Windows Mobile 2003 and Palm Zire 71
• 3 year warranty

Galley
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 17, 2004 11:05:20 PM

Scarab1 <nospam2scarab1@mindspring.com> climbed onto an orange crate
and shouted:

>While idly stirring the alphabet soup, stromm
><strommsarnac@yahoo.com> found this in
>

>> I know a few people with the Sandisk WiFi card in their Zire71.
>> Understand though, they have the NEW card that is packaged as "now
>> works with the Palm Zire71" or similar wording. The OLD cards do
>> not work.
>>

>Do you know where they purchased the Zire 71 SD Wi-Fi card? I
>haven't had any luck finding it and Sandisk's order site doesn't even
>show that it works for the Zire 71.

Just curious -- if it works for the Zire 71 is there any reason why it
shouldn't work for broadly similar units such as the Tungsten E? I
know it isn't officially "certified" or whatever for the T|E, but the
OS and hardware seem similar enough that it ought to work. Anyone
willing to take a gamble? :-)

--
"Politicians & Diapers Need To Be Changed For The Same Reason"
(seen on a bumper sticker)

who knows if the wi-fi card with or without the large memory, whichever,
works on the Zire 31? the man at radio shack told me it would, but i
didnt buy it yet cause i figured he didnt know for sure, and he only
wanted a fast sale. so,...please, or the tungest E? waiting.... kr, in
il.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2004 6:49:06 AM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:05:20 GMT, chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles Hawtrey) spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>Just curious -- if it works for the Zire 71 is there any reason why it
>shouldn't work for broadly similar units such as the Tungsten E? I
>know it isn't officially "certified" or whatever for the T|E, but the
>OS and hardware seem similar enough that it ought to work. Anyone
>willing to take a gamble? :-)

I forget what the exact reason is, but I'm positive it will only work with the
71.

Galley
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2004 4:06:16 PM

Possibly other Palm models don't hv sufficient power supplied to the SD slot for the card to work

--
MAN - Born Crying, Live Complaining. Die Unsatisfied.
Anonymous

if the shops lets u try the card on your Zire to proof that it works then go for it. I would be interested to know if it works as well

--
MAN - Born Crying, Live Complaining. Die Unsatisfied.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2004 4:08:55 PM

if the shops lets u try the card on your Zire to proof that it works then go for it. I would be interested to know if it works as well

--
MAN - Born Crying, Live Complaining. Die Unsatisfied.
August 7, 2004 11:10:56 AM

PalmPilot@askme.not (PalmPilot) wrote in message news:<YItKc.7441$5Y.2592@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
> Possibly other Palm models don't hv sufficient power supplied to the SD slot fo
> r the card to work

Seem to recall reading that Palm only released the frameworks or
sources or something for the 71, and that's why it only works on the
71.

Keith
!