Windows 8 Drag and Drop Issues

dekum510

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased a new desktop computer. The computer has windows 8 installed. My previous computer ran on windows 7.

My problem is with dragging and dropping photos from my G drive(SD card) into a specific program called ACI. Previously on windows 7 I was able to simply insert my SD card into the correct slot then drag and drop the photos into the ACI program. Now that I have windows 8 it will not let me drag and drop....I need to go threw a much lengthier process just to get the photos into the program which is very time consuming and frustrating. As I said before I work on my computer and need to figure this out because it wastes a lot of my time....and time is money.

If anyone has any idea as to what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

The program I am having issues dragging and dropping from the SD card is ACI Report 2010 - An appraiser specific program. I am really not sure what could be the problem. I will check back often.

Thank You!!!

mwise4u

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
So far as I have been able to find out, Windows 8 User Account Control is preventing the drop. You can drag a photo but you cannot drop it into ACI, or Wintotal (any version) or other programs. Even if you have the User Account Control set all the way down (off) it is not really off like it would be in Windows 7. So far A La Mode (Wintotal) Tech Support does not have a solution nor workaround, including the senior techs. I have put a customer request in for a fix but it does not look like it will be forthcoming soon unless many more people complain about it. Which I believe will happen in the future as more appraisers are forced to upgrade to Windows 8. I have the suspicion that ACI and A La Mode want appraisers to use their photo module which is completely inefficient compared to drag and drop. If you find some kind of solution please let me know since this really sucks!!! And another over control grab by Microsoft!

mwise4u

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Dekum... there is a solution... Wintotal has solved it with their Total 2013 software package. It is not solved nor supported in ACI, or the older versions of Total... but Total 2013 works seamlessly and has some other improvements I am actually impressed with. You can try a free trail version I'm pretty sure. I know this is not the best news when you have already shelled out $$ for ACI. But, with this latest version it seems AlaMode with Total 2013 has finally listened and got a huge amount of stuff right. Just saying... for a working appraiser wasting time with your software package really hurts. I can't tell you how happy I am that I can drag and drop again since I upgraded. It was free for me since I already had the full contact/software package. Good luck!!

stangb

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Dekum510 & Mwise4u, you probably already found the answer. I use ACI, got the right tech (Romanita), and received the following instructions (caveated at my own risk, mind you). I did this in Oct 2014 shortly after I bought my new computer with Windows 8.1 and had flaming success until I played with my tiles yesterday and somehow it reverted to default. So these instructions were again successful. Regardless of appraisal software, for all Windows 8 users, here's what you do:

Instructions on how to turn off the UAC via windows registry (in order to click, drag, & drop photos)

1. On your keyboard click on the windows flag key + R
2. Type “regedit” in the Start Search box, and then press Enter
3. At the top click Edit
4. Down to Find
5. In the find what field type “enablelua”
6. Click Find next
7. This will take you to the registry key to enable
8. Double click on the name enableLUA
This is where you can change the value from a 1 to a 0
9. Restart your computer so it can be updated. Problem solved.

PS. She is the only one who helped me. There were 3 other Shmucks at ACI including a Supervisor who only offered me to go into the inferior Gallery Photos, or right click on image, etc, and then offer me an apology for a crap solution. These people punch out after 5, but I need to be productive!

stangb

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I recently offered a solution on this site, thanks to the right ACI tech. -Stangb-

TRENDING THREADS