Help!! Amateur audio engineer. Need Help with Lexicon Omeg..

Last response: in Home Audio
June 15, 2005 3:48:53 PM

I just purchased a second hand Omega Studio. It looks to be in good
condition. The seller gave me a driver cd and a software cd. I'm working
temporarily with a compaq presario notebook. The sound chip is Conexant
AMC audio. I plugged up the device into my USB then installed the drivers
but I'm not getting any sound output, or input either (I tried testing it
with a stage microphone). All I'm getting is this anoying humming sound
from my monitors and headphones. I know that's pretty vague but right now
that's all i have to go by. Whutz up with that?? Did I buy a piece of junk
or is it maybe my audio format? I'm looking for updated drivers but this
device is still pretty new on the market. Drivers are that old yet.
Anyone?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:09:43 PM

In article <cb341b1f74eb8647eab497f90c0faa0a@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com> vmbrowngirl@hotmail.com writes:

> I just purchased a second hand Omega Studio. It looks to be in good
> condition.

You have two things going against you here. First, you purchased it
second-hand, and second, it's (I assume) a Lexicon Omega Studio. The
reason why you rarely hear about Lexicon audio I/O devices is because
they've never done it very well. Frankly, I doubt that anyone in the
know would trust an Omega and would look elsewhere.

> I plugged up the device into my USB then installed the drivers
> but I'm not getting any sound output, or input either

Do you have your software set to use the Omega? It may still be trying
to use the computer's built-in audio hardware, which is almost
certainly set up to be the Windows default.

> Did I buy a piece of junk
> or is it maybe my audio format? I'm looking for updated drivers but this
> device is still pretty new on the market. Drivers are that old yet.

Make sure it's selected as the audio device for your recording
software. In fact, make sure that Windows actually sees that it's
available. Go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Multimedia, and select
the Audio tab. Click on the Playback and Recording pull-down windows
and see if the Omega is one of the choices. If it's there, make it the
Windows "Preferred device" and make sure that the "Use only the
preferred device" button isn't checked.

I wouldn't waste too much time on it. If you can't get it working in a
day or so, contact the seller and make arrangements to return it for a
refund.

June 15, 2005 10:58:52 PM

Thanks a bunch!
June 16, 2005 1:38:39 PM

Thank you too, didn't work though, did u use S/PDIF connection?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:09:00 PM

portschick wrote:
> I just purchased a second hand Omega Studio. It looks to be in good
> condition. The seller gave me a driver cd and a software cd. I'm working
> temporarily with a compaq presario notebook. The sound chip is Conexant
> AMC audio. I plugged up the device into my USB then installed the drivers
> but I'm not getting any sound output, or input either (I tried testing it
> with a stage microphone). All I'm getting is this anoying humming sound
> from my monitors and headphones. I know that's pretty vague but right now
> that's all i have to go by. Whutz up with that?? Did I buy a piece of junk
> or is it maybe my audio format? I'm looking for updated drivers but this
> device is still pretty new on the market. Drivers are that old yet.
> Anyone?

Hello!

You can test interface unit just by turning monitor mix to "direct". Now
raise mic 1 up. Set output level to 12' o'clock. Now you should hear mic
1 from headphones.

If you hear humming sound it might be that yours unit is broken. I
currently own Omega and for me it has been good choice. Best latency
what i've been able to get is about 15ms.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:43:05 PM

portschick wrote:
> Thank you too, didn't work though, did u use S/PDIF connection?

No, I haven't use S/PDIF ever. If you can't get sound you unit is
broken. Replace it.

-Jere-
July 15, 2005 10:37:33 AM

portschick wrote:
> I just purchased a second hand Omega Studio. It looks to be in good
> condition. The seller gave me a driver cd and a software cd. I'm working
> temporarily with a compaq presario notebook. The sound chip is Conexant
> AMC audio. I plugged up the device into my USB then installed the drivers
> but I'm not getting any sound output, or input either (I tried testing it
> with a stage microphone). All I'm getting is this anoying humming sound
> from my monitors and headphones. I know that's pretty vague but right now
> that's all i have to go by. Whutz up with that?? Did I buy a piece of junk
> or is it maybe my audio format? I'm looking for updated drivers but this
> device is still pretty new on the market. Drivers are that old yet.
> Anyone?
July 15, 2005 10:43:06 AM

I've had good success by simply calling lexicon's tech support team.
Some people complain about them but they were helpful to me.

Make sure you have the correct buttons pushed on the front of the unit
matching your input. If you are using Cubase LE as the software
program, then make sure on the track number you are working with you
change the input drop down to match the input you are using on the
unit, and make sure you have pressed the sound/ speaker button to be
able to monitor that track.

Also, when you installed the unit there is a series of usb installs you
have to go through where windows xp will find 4 or so different usb
interfaces etc... think back to make sure you didn't rush through the
install. If you haven't had the chance make sure you download the
install instructions from lexicon's website and follow them explicitly
!