Non-Registered ECC???

CaveInfiltrator

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I have a tech support issue with iWill mobo's. deal is it supports ECC memory and i stuck it in and it ddnt work, thought it was the manufacturer got a diff brand and it still ddnt work. sent in a support question an dit pitiful english they asked "does your ECC module are registered module ???" i was under the impression that all ECC memory was registered. is there unregistered ecc ddr memory?

Thanks...

Jesse

OSI, ISO, ITU-T, IETF, IEEE, WEP, 802.1X IPSec, ISAKMP, ATM, FR, 802.3, X.25, 802.11, 802.5, MPLS, RIP, OSPF...
Welcome to the acronym industry.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Sorry you didn't get a reply back sooner. I have a decent excuse... It is hard when you are 400+ miles away in northern Bolivia and have limited acces to a computer let alone one with an internet connection. And if you do have a connection, the bandwidth is terrible.

Anyway...

Signing back in from home now...

Yes you can get Non-Registered ECC DDRSDRAM modules.

Registered is Registered.

ECC is ECC.

They are two different things.

Registered means that there is a chip on there that acts as a buffer. It adds one clock cycle of latency to minimize missed page hits etc. due to a high demand for information.

ECC is Error Correction Code. It was the memory architecture that replaced Parity. Where Parity would allow you to know of one bit errors... It could not fix them. ECC will actually correct all one bit errors. Now if you get two bit errors... well you are up a creek. They are extremely rare so no one worries about them.

So then you can have...

Non-Registered ECC modules
Registered ECC modules
Non-ECC Non-Parity Modules

Back in the day you could have gotten...

Non-Registered Non-ECC Parity Modules
Registered Non-ECC Non-Parity
Registered Non-ECC Parity

and so on.

If you are using a regular OEM or Retail board for you home PC, you most likely will NOT have a board that uses registered modules.

I hope that this helps you.

If you need anything else just post your questions here.

:smile:

MML2 was awesome. 1,008 gamers.

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Gaming the THG way... THG sponsors the MML2: June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>