Your question

Boot problem after Avast update

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2012 12:01:17 AM

Hey,

Lately, if I let avast! antivirus apply a major update to my system, it will require a restart. Once i restart and the system boots back up, I will login, then when windows 7 fully boots up all there is is a black screen. The mouse functions fine, i open up task manager to see if anything is being used and everything is fine. Except the screen is black. Oh and I can see my mouse pointer and i can open up task manager and see that of course.

Now I fixed this temporarily by shutting down my computer and botting up in safe mode then I can do a system restore from a previous restore point before the avast update and everything is fine, I just dont have the update.

What would be the cause of this? Im kind of taking it seriously as it is important to have the latest virus definitions and software updated and such.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : boot problem avast update

a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 12:26:37 AM

if avast is damaged it could hang the system..have you tried uninstalling it. then installing the newest version from there web page?? the blank screen with nothing on it is a damaged explorer.exe or something hanging it at boot. try using safe mode and tuse mscofig and turn everthing off in start up other then your anti virus. also check that your only running one.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:29:47 AM

I have not tried uninstalling then reinstalling. But i could try that. Also I have McAfee installed as well. Could that be a possible cause?

Thanks for the quick reply btw,
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 1:10:01 AM

Hi :) 

You must NEVER EVER run two AV programs on one machine...

SAFE MODE ...then uninstall BOTH....then reinstall one of them...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:11:04 AM

Ok, so i did your suggestion Brett and uninstalled both antiviruses in safe mode, then reinstalled avast. Apparently, there were some windows updates that needed to be installed. No my computer has been stuck at the "preparing to configure windows" screen for a good while. Any suggestion? should i just wait it out?

Thanks
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 3:28:57 AM

Hi :) 

Reboot and install the updates one by one...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 3:36:43 AM

if they dont start google how to clear microsoft updates folder..you may have a damaged update patch...and need to clear the update folder and force windows to download the updates again.
Open Start >> Run or press window key + r

2. Type “services.msc” (without quotes) and Click OK , this will open services window.

3. Right click on Automatic Updates Service and select Stop.

4. After the service is stopped, press window key + r

5. Type “%windir%\SoftwareDistribution” (without quotes) and press enter.

6. Open the Download folder and delete all contents of the Download folder.

7. Close the window, press Window Key + r ( or Open Start >> Run )

8. Type “services.msc” (without quotes) and Click OK

9. Right click on Automatic Updates Service and select Start.

10. That’s it Done
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:51:33 AM

Ok so since my computer was stuck a the installation screen the only way i could reboot (i thought) was through safe mode. So I powered off and booted in safe mode but now it seems to be stuck at a "Please wait" screen that comes before the login screen. Oh man what have i done....
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:52:03 AM

by the way this is all happening on my laptop with windows 7. I am posting from my desktop
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:56:59 AM

ok nvm it finally booted up. Il do a system restore to right before the updates were installed and take both of your suggestions. Thanks for the help guys!
m
l
!