.MP3 Editor for OSX?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 15, 2005 1:05:18 PM

Is there such a thing as an .mp3 editor? I would like to record a
lecture with a small .mp3 recorder, transfer the file to a mac and do
some simple cutting without converting to PCM. The final file would be
..mp3.

Someone recommended Audacity to me, but it does not seem to open
..mp3's.

Mac is my readily available platform, but I could dig up a PC if no Mac
option exists.

Thanks,
Carmen Borgia
DuArt Sound, NYC

More about : mp3 editor osx

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:10:53 PM

you can get peak le for 80 bucks or something like that. they have a
fully functional 14 day trial. out of the box it doesn't do mp3's but
the plug in is free and it takes all of 3 minutes to download and
install it so you can do mp3's. then you're good to go. if you go to
www.sweetwater.com/support and in the search field type in "peak mp3"
it will give you the link and instructions for getting and installing
the plugin.

Nate
June 15, 2005 2:15:13 PM

I have a Mac with OSX 10.3.9 and Audacity 1.2.3. It has no trouble
reading and writing mp3 files. As you point out, it is a bit of pain
waiting for it to read and write because of the conversion but it
works.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:18:33 PM

Carmen Borgia wrote:
> Is there such a thing as an .mp3 editor? I would like to record a
> lecture with a small .mp3 recorder, transfer the file to a mac and do
> some simple cutting without converting to PCM. The final file would be
> .mp3.
>
> Someone recommended Audacity to me, but it does not seem to open
> .mp3's.
>
> Mac is my readily available platform, but I could dig up a PC if no Mac
> option exists.

mp3DirectCut <http://www.mpesch3.de/&gt; will do this on Win32 systems.
Thus far, I am not aware of a similar tool for OS X.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:51:10 PM

See if Sound Studio (http://www.felttip.com/) will do what you need.
It's free for 14 days, then it's $40 if you like it.

Cheers,
Mike
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:09:50 PM

I see. What I'm looking for is something to open the .mp3 as an .mp3
without conversion to .wav first, and then the ability to edit the
audio of the .mp3. I would guess I'd want to edit any tags and such as
well. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid "double encoding" to
..mp3.

I already have the means to convert .wav's to .mp3's and vice versa.

Regards,
Carmen Borgia
DuArt Sound, NYC
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:20:37 PM

Carmen Borgia wrote:
> I see. What I'm looking for is something to open the .mp3 as an .mp3
> without conversion to .wav first, and then the ability to edit the
> audio of the .mp3. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid "double
> encoding" to .mp3.

mp3DirectCut will do this.

> I would guess I'd want to edit any tags and such as well.

There are lots of tag editors out there, whatever OS you prefer.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:37:28 PM

Carmen Borgia <carmenborgia@gmail.com> wrote:
>I see. What I'm looking for is something to open the .mp3 as an .mp3
>without conversion to .wav first, and then the ability to edit the
>audio of the .mp3. I would guess I'd want to edit any tags and such as
>well. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid "double encoding" to
>.mp3.

No. MP3 was never designed for that sort of thing. You can think of a
PCM file as being sort of like cutting a painting up into a grid and
numbering the color of each square. MP3 is sort of like making a list
of where each brushstroke goes, what color, width, and length it is.

>I already have the means to convert .wav's to .mp3's and vice versa.

MP3 is intended as a release format. It was never intended for original
recording for production intermediates. It's a bad idea to use it for
that, again because the double-encoding is needed if you want to do
anything to do the file at all.

>Regards,
>Carmen Borgia
>DuArt Sound, NYC

Why won't your video guys give me a call back about prices on kines?
Bono stopped doing kines and I need a couple quick and dirty transfers.
--scott
June 15, 2005 6:37:29 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Carmen Borgia <carmenborgia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see. What I'm looking for is something to open the .mp3 as an .mp3
>> without conversion to .wav first, and then the ability to edit the
>> audio of the .mp3. I would guess I'd want to edit any tags and such as
>> well. I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid "double encoding" to
>> .mp3.
>

> No. MP3 was never designed for that sort of thing.

But (being an MPEG format) it is frame-based, so you can make cuts on
the I-frame boundaries safely.

> MP3 is intended as a release format. It was never intended for original
> recording for production intermediates. It's a bad idea to use it for
> that, again because the double-encoding is needed if you want to do
> anything to do the file at all.

True, but there are a lot of little MP3 recorders out there that
actually do a decent job for transcription tasks. Being able to at
least chop the long files into usable segments is handy.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:09:44 PM

In article <1118851518.758893.111550@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> carmenborgia@gmail.com writes:

> Is there such a thing as an .mp3 editor? I would like to record a
> lecture with a small .mp3 recorder, transfer the file to a mac and do
> some simple cutting without converting to PCM.

> Mac is my readily available platform, but I could dig up a PC if no Mac
> option exists.

I have a Winndows program called MP3 Direct Cut that does what you
need, probably. MP3 is a frame-oriented format and this program lets
you edit only on frame boundaries. If you try editing that's too
tight, you might find that a boundary falls right in the middle of a
word or sentence. The program is free, so if it doesn't work for you,
all you've lost is a little time and digging up a PC.

Here's the home base for this useful little program. I see they have a
newer version than what I've been using.

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/#mp3dc

June 15, 2005 8:34:04 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:05:18 +0100, Carmen Borgia wrote
(in article <1118851518.758893.111550@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Is there such a thing as an .mp3 editor? I would like to record a
> lecture with a small .mp3 recorder, transfer the file to a mac and do
> some simple cutting without converting to PCM. The final file would be
> .mp3.
>
> Someone recommended Audacity to me, but it does not seem to open
> .mp3's.

You could convert the mp3s to AIFFs or WAVs in iTunes and then edit them in
Audacity and then convert them back to mp3.

Or you could try something like Sound Studio - it's not free, but it's pretty
cheap. There's a 14 day demo or you could grab the beta which runs out at the
end of August.

<http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/&gt;

GarageBand might well be able to do what you want as well - I haven't got a
copy myself though, so wouldn't swear to it.

John

--

yorkio65 at yahoo dot co dot uk
Anonymous

carmenborgia@gmail.com (Carmen Borgia) wrote:

> Is there such a thing as an .mp3 editor? I would like to record a
> lecture with a small .mp3 recorder, transfer the file to a mac and do
> some simple cutting without converting to PCM. The final file would be
> .mp3.
>
> Someone recommended Audacity to me, but it does not seem to open
> .mp3's.

I have Audacity 1.2.3 installed on OSX 10.4.1 here and it will import and
export .mp3 files. You need to follow the instructions here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item...

on downloading and installing LameLib.

If you continue to have problems with Audacity, then try Amadeus II

http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html

which I find very useful and which will edit mp3 files. It's shareware and
the trial period of 15 days applies only to the days on which you /use/
it, not to the days elapsed since you installed it.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:36:01 PM

David Morton wrote:

> I have Audacity 1.2.3 installed on OSX 10.4.1 here and it will import and
> export .mp3 files. You need to follow the instructions here:

Like all of the suggestions so far, this decodes the MP3 to WAV, edits
the WAV and then re-encodes. If all you want to do is cut up the file,
while not degrading it in any way you don't have a whole lot of options.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:28:16 PM

Cool tip, this appears to be what I'm looking for. I'll load it up on
the office PC and see what happens.

I'm still hoping for a Mac app that does this, if anyone hears of
anything.

Once I try it out I'll report back.

Thanks to you and Kurt A,
Carmen Borgia