I replied to that email stating that I know how to
install a heatsink and that there was no core damage,
that the processor burned out.

I looked at the fastner and thought it was too tight
so I bent it a bit and installed the heatsnk on the
new XP2400 I had bought. Guess what??? The same thing
happened! there is no core damage but the processor
was burnt. I emailed TT and their only reply was
Install Error. also my A7V333 is now toast.

I got another email reiterating the install error theory plus he had the nerve to say he has a friend that spent a few hours getting his MCSE & A+ cert. I spent over a year getting my certs and don't care about a paper MCSE!

STAY AWAY FROM THERMALTAKE!!!!!

ThermalTakes attitude is you broke it go away.
July 8, 2003 4:17:06 PM

Well if the HSF made normal contact with your CPU it would never happen immediatly after boot-up... even if the fan is broken.

You used thermal paste?

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
July 8, 2003 6:54:20 PM

Asus has C.O.P. protection on the a7v333 , this should have saved the CPU from any damage. what do you mean "pulled processor found it to be toast" & "no core damage.. the processor burned out" & "my A7V333 is now toast" ??
Related resources
July 9, 2003 12:09:38 AM

I used Arctic Silver 3, I think the copper heatsink somehow conducted electricity not that the chip over heated. It was runing for no more than 45 seconds much too quick to burn from overheating. By toast I mean ruined both a XP 2100, XP 2400 and A7V333 motherboard.

The 2100 is on it's way to AMD, the 2400 was replaced by the vendor as it was 1 day old and the A7V333 will be shipped tomorrow to Asus (it took a few days to get an RMA)
July 9, 2003 4:48:10 AM

I'm thinking User error also... don't want to take sides, but comeon, two procs damaged??? Are you sure it's not your mobo, or you installed the CPU wrong or the HSF is way off??? Do you have another HSF you can use?

On another note, to tell you the truth, just cause you have those certs. doesn't really mean anything (they're not that hard to get anyway). Those certs are dime a dozen and I don't really see how that pertains to your situation or your problem.
July 9, 2003 3:32:34 PM

How can it short out the CPU if it is only touching the CPU core which has no electrical components reachable? To short out the CPU you can do either three things:
1. Put AS3 everywhere on the CPU (and not only at the CPU core)... while it shouldn't conduct in some rarae cases it still does.
2. Used a shim/space that made contact with the Lx bridges.
3. Installed the HSF wrongly.

If the HSF base was totally flat (except for the socket left-out) there is NO way a HSF can short a CPU if it is installed correctly.

And when you fried the CPU there is no nessesary visual core damage. When I fried my old Athlon T-bird (which was a installing error... ever tried installing a waterblock/peltier with lots of isolation around it so you can't see if everything is OK) there was no damage on the CPU core, but at the back of the CPU a small part of the socket isolation melted on the CPU, which made me conclude it was overheated... in less then 45 seconds too!

July 10, 2003 8:41:58 AM

How did you inspect the installation of the heatsink? Any CPU with a small slug and a poor attachment system made me so nervous that I would shine a flashlight from the opposite side to check for good contact and also slip a feeler guage into all four sides to make sure that the gap was uniform all around. This is why I switched to the Pentium 4 - big slug, good heatsink attachment, and inherent thermal protection.
July 14, 2003 6:08:56 PM

I only put the recommencded amount of paste on the core only, My logic would be the reverse one processor MAYBE I did something wrong but I was much more careful when I installed the second one and I had no problem installing the AMD heatsink on two other processors in between the two that fried with the TT heatsink. That's not a coincidence.

Finally I did not "inspect" the installation with feeler gauges or anything. I don't know what kind of case you use but with a large 8 bay full size case with 5 hard drives, three optical drives, an Audigy 2 (with it's front & rear spdif,optical, & firewire connectors), ATI Allinwonder 9700 nic, scsi card and all the wires that go with them there isn't much room to manuver, oh yeah plus 4 120 mm fans.

Good news:

AMD just eamiled me they are replacing the fried XP 2100 with an XP 2200

There is the way to take care of a customer!

No word from ASUS yet on the A7V333 but I already bought an AV8X and I have had good experience in the past from ASUS.
July 14, 2003 9:44:23 PM

I've been using my Volcano 7+ for about a year now, and it's probably the best HSF around for that $ range. How in the heck can a huge chunk of solid copper malfunction? You may have installed the heatsink right but installed the clip backwards - changing the pressure point on the HS. I wouldn't accept responsibility for the damage either if I worked for TT.

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>
July 15, 2003 11:51:52 AM

I agree... how can a heatsink be bad?

Maybe if it is made of plastic instead of copper, the base isn't flat, or the fans doesn't work. But otherwise it has to be an installing error.

July 15, 2003 11:42:01 PM

Quote:
On another note, to tell you the truth, just cause you have those certs. doesn't really mean anything (they're not that hard to get anyway). Those certs are dime a dozen and I don't really see how that pertains to your situation or your problem.

Ditto... Some certs may have merit, such as Cisco or Novell certs, but most - A+, Network+, MCSE, etc. - are worthless. They are simply cash cows for everyone involved, except the recipient. Schools make money for teaching the classes, and for giving the tests. And in the case of brand specific certs like MCSE, or Windows 2000 certification, MS gets licensing fees. It's nothing more than a scam really. A cert really only proves one thing - you were gullible enough to hand over enough cash to let someone teach you the answers to the test for that particular cert.

I know people who have several certs, and I wouldn't trust them to turn on my PC. Heck, my 54 year old dad went through a program at his work and got A+ certified, and trust me, NO one ever thinks of calling him when they have a problem with their PC... lol... that's just funny.

But, on a good note, at least I can say that technical-oriented companies are getting wise to the scams. I have NO certs at all, and yet I have no trouble getting IT jobs (I prefer short-term contracts). Usually there is someone in HR that is responsible for the hiring of tech jobs, and they are able to weed out the one's with tech-fu from the wannabe cert-collectors. The last IT poition I applied for, during the interview process, the IT manager even said that he tended to avoid people with the basic certs, such as A+, MCSE, etc. How's that for value! Spend all that cash, only to make yourself LESS appealing to an employer! lol...

BTW this thread has done nothing to improve my overall opinion of cert-collectors. :tongue:

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
!