512MB DDR433 registering as 256MB

Chameleon425

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I have 512MB of Geil DDR433 installed on my KT400 MB. It is only counting as 256MB in the bios and when I check my system settings in windows. I have moved it to all the DIMM slots and it still only registers as 256MB. All this started soon after I upgraded my bios (not sure exactly when). I've flashed three different BIOS versions and still no luck. I've also been getting virtual memory errors so I do think I'm only using 256MB. Is it possible for one side of a RAM module to stop working? Any other possibilities or is my memory fubar?

Thanks in advance!!!

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
u have said that after u upgraded the BIOS u r having this problem. SO befor that it was working fine??

OK i dont know the exact answer to ur question, but i had a similar problem sometime back. I had bot a stick of 256Mb SD RAM for my KT133 mobo. Though when i bot it i had checked it to be 256Mb, the RAM read as 128MB in my mobo. Later it turns out that the RAM was a double sided module(meaning, the RAM had memory chips on either side). I swapped that one for a single sided 256MB and voila! everything was fine. i dunno if this is the same prob u have ther, coz u have said that it all started after u updated ur BIOS.

BTW, i have a KT400 mobo, so i was curious if the DDR433 actually works on that mobo.

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p