Digi 002 for live mixing AND playing tracks

Hello there,

[disclaimer: sorry for asking dumb questions, I've done some research,
but most likely I have overlooked some 'trivial' things ;)]

Alright then .. I'm a keyboard player with ambitions to do some
producing on the side for the bands that I play with right now. My
current setup is a stage piano, a synth and last but not least: an
Apple Powerbook. I'm interested in buying some new equipment, so that I
can play additional tracks with live-gigs. Another thing I'd like to do
is have a mixing console of some kind that enables me to combine both
my 2 piano-lines and my 2 synth lines into a single pair of keys lines
that will end up in the stage block somehow.

So, I was looking into the Digi 002 rack version. It comes with
ProTools, which would be good for making those tracks I mentioned
earlier. So far so good .. Now, the thing is: will I be able to [1]
play those tracks from ProTools, using output 1/2 on the Digi 002, and
[2] use 4 additional inputs from my keyboards, mix them, and route them
to output 3/4 on the Digi 002?

I'm afraid that I will have to deal with latency, which would be very
annoying when you're playin a live gig. I know there is a 'low latency'
option in ProTools, but then I'd have to say goodbye to any plugins and
inserts I would be using in ProTools for the tracks. Is there maybe a
way to simply use the Digi 002 as a standalone mixer for the 4 lines of
keys and output them on output 3/4 and do the playing of the tracks
without the 'low latency' option?

I've looked into the M-Audio 1814 as well, and I think the
driver-dialog alone will let you mix the keys and output them to a
separate output. But I'm not sure if I read everything the right way.

If anyone of you could give me some advice I would be very greatful.

Rens van Leeuwen
3 answers Last reply
More about digi live mixing playing tracks

    In article <1118925652.937533.9370@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> rensvanleeuwen@gmail.com writes:

    > I'm interested in buying some new equipment, so that I
    > can play additional tracks with live-gigs. Another thing I'd like to do
    > is have a mixing console of some kind that enables me to combine both
    > my 2 piano-lines and my 2 synth lines into a single pair of keys lines
    > that will end up in the stage block somehow.
    >
    > So, I was looking into the Digi 002 rack version.

    > I'm afraid that I will have to deal with latency, which would be very
    > annoying when you're playin a live gig.

    I am, too. Why not get a straightforward analog mixer, record your
    backing tracks however you choose, play them back as a stereo (or even
    mono) mix to a channel or two of your mixer, then connect your
    keyboards and synths to other channels of your mixer, and mix to your
    heart's content, with real knobs and no fear of latency.

    Better yet, get whatever production system you prefer (which might
    well be a Digidesign 002), work up your backing tracks, burn a CD, and
    take a simple CD player to the gig (along with your keyboard mixer).

    If you have delusions of having a multitrack recording in front of you
    and mixing those tracks live while on stage playing your keyboard,
    forget it. You won't have time and you won't have good enough
    monitoring. If you had someone out in the house playing and mixing
    those tracks it would be a different story, but you're better off just
    mixing something that will work and playing it off a nice, reliable
    CD.

    You might want to make several mixes of the same tracks to handle
    different situations, like one with a bass for when you don't have a
    bass player, and one without a bass for when the bass player shows up.

    rensvanleeuwen@gmail.com () wrote:

    > Alright then .. I'm a keyboard player with ambitions to do some
    > producing on the side for the bands that I play with right now. My
    > current setup is a stage piano, a synth and last but not least: an
    > Apple Powerbook. I'm interested in buying some new equipment, so that I
    > can play additional tracks with live-gigs. Another thing I'd like to do
    > is have a mixing console of some kind that enables me to combine both
    > my 2 piano-lines and my 2 synth lines into a single pair of keys lines
    > that will end up in the stage block somehow.
    [snip]
    > Is there maybe a
    > way to simply use the Digi 002 as a standalone mixer for the 4 lines of
    > keys and output them on output 3/4 and do the playing of the tracks
    > without the 'low latency' option?
    >
    > I've looked into the M-Audio 1814 as well, and I think the
    > driver-dialog alone will let you mix the keys and output them to a
    > separate output. But I'm not sure if I read everything the right way.

    I'm not sure if I've understood your question properly, but the bits I've
    excerpted above suggest to me that you should have a good hard look at the
    MOTU stuff, particularly the 896HD. If I've got hold of the right end of
    the stick, that'll do what you're asking.

    It won't do for ProTools - of course - but I couldn't be happier with my
    Logic Pro/MOTU 896HD/MOTU MIDI Express XT setup.

    Hey David,

    thanks a lot for your reply (sorry I'm kinda late replying to your
    post). I did look into the MOTU 896HD, as you suggested. I have read
    lots of information about it so far, but I have read somewhere that the
    zero-latency mixing mode will only work for two inputs at a time. I
    haven't found a manual (yet) for the device, so I'm kinda stuck here
    with this question. Do you know if it's possible to have more than two
    inputs monitored with zero latency at the same time?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rens

Pro Audio Audio