Toslink vs Adat Lightpipe: What's the difference?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 16, 2005 11:42:01 AM

Good day y'all!

I'm looking into getting an Adat Lightpipe switching (hub) solution for
my project studio (Digi 001).

I'm exploring the possibility of using a consumer Toslink switcher.

Could this work? What's the difference between Toslink and Adat
Lightpipe? Is it multi channels as opposed to 2 channels?

Thanks for any insight here, Fingerz
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:51:09 AM

"Fingerz88" wrote ...
> I'm looking into getting an Adat Lightpipe switching (hub) solution
> for
> my project studio (Digi 001).
>
> I'm exploring the possibility of using a consumer Toslink switcher.
>
> Could this work? What's the difference between Toslink and Adat
> Lightpipe? Is it multi channels as opposed to 2 channels?

Physically they appear to be identical.
I would bet that a consumer Toslink switcher would work
fine for switching Adat lightpipe.

Of course, the optical/digital messages carried over the
lightpipe are completely different, so one cannot connect
Adat to Toslink and expect it to work.

But the switcher is likely optical and doesn't care what
signal is going through it. If the switcher is electronic
(uses a battery or mains power), then all bets are off.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:50:45 PM

Fingerz88 wrote:

> I'm looking into getting an Adat Lightpipe switching (hub)
solution
> for my project studio (Digi 001).

> I'm exploring the possibility of using a consumer Toslink
switcher.

> Could this work?

Yes.

> What's the difference between Toslink and Adat Lightpipe?

At the optical transport (fiber) level, not a heck of a lot.
This Toslink switcher works at the optical transport level.

>Is it multi channels as opposed to 2 channels?

Yes, therefore the bitrate of ADAT optical is generally
quite a bit higher than consumer Toslink. However, this
matters very little to the optics. The ADAT data rate
remains very low compared to the frequency of the carrier
signal (light).

The hardware demands related to the the higher bitrate
primarily show up in the specs for the optical transmitter.
Basically, its usually brighter.
June 16, 2005 8:07:27 PM

In article <11b34evldst21bd@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley7@xprt.net writes:

> Physically they appear to be identical.
> I would bet that a consumer Toslink switcher would work
> fine for switching Adat lightpipe.

The Radio Shack one has been reported to work fine with ADAT
Lightpipe, but within the ADAT rules. It may not handle 96 kHz
even at half the number of channels. Or maybe it will.

June 17, 2005 10:34:19 AM

Well folks, I'll tell ya; This is seriously good news!

A consumer optical switcher can be had for as little as $10.00 (saw one
on ebay).

Basic retail is in the area of $20.00!

Beats the heck out of the "Pro" studio solutions (Z-SYS, FriendChip,
etc...)....all in the $500.00 or better (worse?) range.

Last year I was in need of an uninterruptable power supply. Furman
offers a rack mount one space solution upwards of $500.00. (and
ofcoarse they get pricier from there).
Tripplite has a consumer solution, sold at COSTCO, for $100.00!

I took the plunge at COSTCO, and never looked back! I even got to see
it in action as we lost all power here at the studio last year for a
good hour.

The TRipplite performed as advertised and kept the computer running
beautifully!

Just shows to go ya! "YMSBTSAM"! (your mileage should be the same as
mine)!

Fingerz
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:22:28 PM

In article <1119015259.048521.50660@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> fingerz88d@aol.com writes:

> Well folks, I'll tell ya; This is seriously good news!
>
> A consumer optical switcher can be had for as little as $10.00 (saw one
> on ebay).
>
> Basic retail is in the area of $20.00!

Yeay, but you'll probably pay $9.95 for shipping on that eBay deal,
and if it doesn't work, you'll have a hard time returning it for a
refund. Spend the $20, try it, and if it doesn't work, take it back.

> Beats the heck out of the "Pro" studio solutions (Z-SYS, FriendChip,
> etc...)....all in the $500.00 or better (worse?) range.

One difference, which may not matter in your situation, is that the
switchers like the ones from Z-Systems have a receiver, a transmitter,
and can re-clock the data if desired. The $10 ones are just a moving
prism that directs the light from one port to another.

Try a cheap one first. Radio Shack used to have one, but I couldn't
find it in a quick site search.

June 18, 2005 2:58:29 AM

I'm thinking for the intended setup, the simple switcher is going to do
it!

Thanks for all the helpful tids though!

That's right..."Tids" !
!