ATA133 Compatability With old Machine

brahma8

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I haven't kept up with computer technology for about 1.5 years now. I've run into the problem of my harddrive being full and I am ready to buy a new one. I am planning on building a new system in about 6 months or as long as it takes me to get back up to date on the technology, so I want a drive that I can use in my new system then. From what I've read so far, I'm planning on getting a ATA133 drive w/ 8mb cache. Here's the question:

My current system is the one I got from my parents way back in high school (college senior now). It's a Dell P3-550 (yes, I know it's a dinosaur). Will my current computer support this drive. I currently have XP installed. It runs slow at times, but overall is OK. I know the drive won't run at its full potential, but that's not a concern right now. I just need to know whether or not it will work at all.

Also, does anybody have any suggestions as to which route to go on the HD? Western Digital, Maxtor, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this question has been answered already. I skimmed the old posts and didn't find anything pertaining to this.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This has nothing to do with ATA133/UDMA133, it's a BIOS issue. Depending on when Dell's latest BIOS for your board was released, your board will support either a max drive size of just over 30GB, or just over 120GB.

A better option that wouldn't require a BOIS update would be to install a newer bootable PCI-IDE controller and set BIOS to boot off SCSI (because BIOS sees add-in IDE controllers as SCSI cards).

If you want to go REALLY big, I believe most retail boxed 200GB drives include an adaquate PCI-IDE controller card. Older cards will have a ~120GB limit.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>