fatfrank

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I just put together my new system and everythin works fine but my HDD seems to be slow. On my old system the hdd used to score over 1000points on pcmark 2002. My new system is lucky to crack 400points. I have the hdd set up on ide1 as the only disk,the jumper is set to single/master. I have also tried CS without any effect. I have even tried a different cable. My system specs are as follows....
Intel p4 2.8 cpu 800mhzfsb
Gigabyte ga-8ipe1000pro'
2 x corsair xms ram
1 x 80g seagate hdd (ide1)
1 x cdrw (master ide 2)
1 x dvd rom (slave ide 2)

Any suggestions?

fatfrank

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I checked through the bios and i cant find anything about a way to enable udma,actually i couldnt find any reference to UDMA at all. Most of the settings in the bios are on auto. I have checked through the device manager and here is the settings for the primary ide channell............

Device type: auto detection (greyed out)
Transfer mode: dma if available (pio only,in drop down box)
Current transfer mode:multi word dma mode 2

I have been told that the drive should be running in Ultra DMA Mode 5 and that a lack of the latest motherboard drivers would be the cause of the problem. Well ive D/L the latest chipset drivers and installed them without any luck. Could this be a driver problem that i may just have to sit out until a new driver is available or can i use chipset drivers from another source apart from my motherboard manufacturer?? Is that possible or are there any other avenues i should look into first?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Are you sure you're using an 80-conductor ribbon?

-DOOM

<i>GeneticWeapon says: "Your days posting here have about come to an end... I promise you that by the time I'm done making my point to you, you wont want to be here anymore...you fuucking bitch."</i>