'A/V Jukebox'

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I want to build a PC based 'A/V Jukebox.'

This PC will store and play Audio and Video files...that's it. I want both A & V to be of high quality (at least 5.1 audio, DVD/HDTV capable video) but I don't need overkill (I don't even own HDTV equipemnt currently). I think I need seperate Audio and Video cards to achieve high quality, but maybe not. The PC will connect to an A/V receiver. I think I need sVideo connectors for the Video output and RCA connectors for the Audio output, but maybe there's something better. I think I will start with one 160GB HD but want to expand to 4 or more ATA harddrives (which I will add as I need space), but I don't think I need RAID. I also don't think I need CDs, DVDs, or even a floppy (well maybe). I plan to run Win2k but would consider XP (my other machines are all 2k). I will need basic networking so that I can download files from another PC that's connected to the Internet.

So what I'm looking for is a recommendation for appropriate Hardware, including: motherboard, Audio amd Video cards, memory, CPU, power supply, cooling fans, case, and ???

Any specific product suggestions? What performance bottlenecks should I be concerned with?

Thanx,
HotRod

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
For dvd and/or cd if you dont have a home CD or DVD player, you can use the computer for this.

You need a audio or a video card with sound outputs to to your home stereo, the hookup can be tricky depending on what sound card you use. S Video is decent for video, most video cards will have that, if you plan on upgrading to HDTV, that is another matter. I like separate TV Tuner type cards because i might upgrade my graphics card every 12-24 months but hold onto my TV Tuner type card longer. Then again TV Tuner cards are starting to change fast.

I wouldnt think you would need RAID, you just need storage space. Floppy or a cd-rom bootable. floppy drives are cheap, buy one, maybe the cd-rom will fail. You will need to have at least a cd-rom drive. For playing rented or bought DVDs or CDs,so have a DVD player and CD player in the machine, they arent very expensive.

I assume you are outputing this to a standard TV, SVHS is fine then. There are TV type cards that output to HDTV, in HD quality. So if you plan on getting a HDTV soon you might want one of these.

Soundcard, Audigy 2, although some higher end TV HD cards might include surround sound output.

SATA might be better for upgrading but I think ATA should be fine.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: