Migrating from Tungsten T2 to Tungsten E

July 14, 2004 11:03:31 AM

I just got a Tungsten E to replace my Tungsten T2, due to the
infamous digitizer drift problem (it was just getting too big of
a problem, so I got a cheaper-but-good-enough Palm until the OS6
devices come out -- hopefully they'll be overengineered to get
the people who left Palm to come back, and I'll get one).

I want to migrate from the T2 to the E, and I am wondering if
there are ANY Palm Desktop or syncing differences between the
Tungsten T2 and the Tungsten E, or if I can just name my E the
same as my T2 and sync as usual to replace all the programs and
databases.

- Tim

July 14, 2004 9:09:03 PM

In article <cd2ls3$bo0$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

> I just got a Tungsten E to replace my Tungsten T2, due to the
> infamous digitizer drift problem (it was just getting too big of
> a problem, so I got a cheaper-but-good-enough Palm until the OS6
> devices come out -- hopefully they'll be overengineered to get
> the people who left Palm to come back, and I'll get one).
>
> I want to migrate from the T2 to the E, and I am wondering if
> there are ANY Palm Desktop or syncing differences between the
> Tungsten T2 and the Tungsten E, or if I can just name my E the
> same as my T2 and sync as usual to replace all the programs and
> databases.

Look on www.palmone.com under Support for step-by-step directions on
migrating between devices.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 10:44:49 PM

In article <guy-1407041009570001@192.168.1.103>,
Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
>In article <cd2ls3$bo0$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
>SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:
>
>> I just got a Tungsten E to replace my Tungsten T2, due to the
>> infamous digitizer drift problem (it was just getting too big of
>> a problem, so I got a cheaper-but-good-enough Palm until the OS6
>> devices come out -- hopefully they'll be overengineered to get
>> the people who left Palm to come back, and I'll get one).
>>
>> I want to migrate from the T2 to the E, and I am wondering if
>> there are ANY Palm Desktop or syncing differences between the
>> Tungsten T2 and the Tungsten E, or if I can just name my E the
>> same as my T2 and sync as usual to replace all the programs and
>> databases.
>
>Look on www.palmone.com under Support for step-by-step directions on
>migrating between devices.

I looked there -- their "guide" is rather useless, in that it doesn't
say anything about differences in Palm Desktop and DDL installation
differences based on the Palm model involved... it's a "guide for dummies",
and I want to know if there are any differences in files installed on the PC
based on the target PDA.

- Tim

July 15, 2004 5:33:31 AM

In article <cd3uv1$jtg$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

> In article <guy-1407041009570001@192.168.1.103>,
> Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
> >In article <cd2ls3$bo0$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
> >SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a Tungsten E to replace my Tungsten T2, due to the
> >> infamous digitizer drift problem (it was just getting too big of
> >> a problem, so I got a cheaper-but-good-enough Palm until the OS6
> >> devices come out -- hopefully they'll be overengineered to get
> >> the people who left Palm to come back, and I'll get one).
> >>
> >> I want to migrate from the T2 to the E, and I am wondering if
> >> there are ANY Palm Desktop or syncing differences between the
> >> Tungsten T2 and the Tungsten E, or if I can just name my E the
> >> same as my T2 and sync as usual to replace all the programs and
> >> databases.
> >
> >Look on www.palmone.com under Support for step-by-step directions on
> >migrating between devices.
>
> I looked there -- their "guide" is rather useless, in that it doesn't
> say anything about differences in Palm Desktop and DDL installation
> differences based on the Palm model involved... it's a "guide for dummies",
> and I want to know if there are any differences in files installed on the PC
> based on the target PDA.

Perhaps no differences are called out because there aren't any ... What
differences are you worried about?
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:12:18 AM

In article <guy-1407041835260001@192.168.1.103>,
Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
>In article <cd3uv1$jtg$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
>SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:
>
>> In article <guy-1407041009570001@192.168.1.103>,
>> Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:

>> >Look on www.palmone.com under Support for step-by-step directions on
>> >migrating between devices.
>>
>> I looked there -- their "guide" is rather useless, in that it doesn't
>> say anything about differences in Palm Desktop and DDL installation
>> differences based on the Palm model involved... it's a "guide for dummies",
>> and I want to know if there are any differences in files installed on the PC
>> based on the target PDA.
>
>Perhaps no differences are called out because there aren't any ... What
>differences are you worried about?

Well, it *does* appear that there are differences in the version
of the app -- or at least the conduits -- that you get. I just installed
version 4.1.4, and it turned off the old nomenclatured conduits
(memo pad, datebook, etc.) and added new Outlook-like ones. So it *does*
depend on what model of Palm you've got. But it looks like things
went okay.

- Tim

July 15, 2004 9:35:15 PM

In article <cd5aoi$vmc$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

> In article <guy-1407041835260001@192.168.1.103>,
> Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
> >In article <cd3uv1$jtg$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
> >SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

> >> I looked there -- their "guide" is rather useless, in that it doesn't
> >> say anything about differences in Palm Desktop and DDL installation
> >> differences based on the Palm model involved... it's a "guide for dummies",
> >> and I want to know if there are any differences in files installed on
the PC
> >> based on the target PDA.
> >
> >Perhaps no differences are called out because there aren't any ... What
> >differences are you worried about?
>
> Well, it *does* appear that there are differences in the version
> of the app -- or at least the conduits -- that you get. I just installed
> version 4.1.4, and it turned off the old nomenclatured conduits
> (memo pad, datebook, etc.) and added new Outlook-like ones. So it *does*
> depend on what model of Palm you've got. But it looks like things
> went okay.

That we knew. But it's not quite what you wrote about, eh? The T|E does
come with an extra set of conduits for Outlook compatibility, and it comes
with hacks to remove the limit on memo size, and so on. All of this is in
the documentation.
!