Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing windows 7 on a ssd

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2012 2:11:41 PM

Hello everyone, slowly I have been upgrading my system. I'm now in the process of buying an SSD and installing it in my rig. Now I'm confused as to the installation of the OS. I wanted to do a clean windows 7 on to the ssd, but I forgot that I only have a retail upgrade 64-bit windows 7 dvd. My question now is do I have to first install my old windows vista ultimate, then proceed to using the windows 7 upgrade disc. I'm wondering if there is other way to do the clean install. I would hate to have to buy a full retail windows 7 dvd. Thanks in advance for any help in this.

More about : installing windows ssd

a c 411 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 2:27:00 PM

Make sure the SSD is the only storage drive plugged in when installing windows 7.If you have other hard drives plug them in after install.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 4:05:50 PM

My prefered method.
1) Disconnect all other HDDs, connect SSD
2) Using the "Upgrade" copy of windows, select custom install - DO NOT enter Key during installation.
3) complete windows installation, let windows install updates, and load your drivers.
THEN
Quote:
A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.
Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor

Followed by:
Before we try to activate our copy of Windows, we need to reset or "Re-Arm" the activation sequence. To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.
Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.

End Quote. Compliments of: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_wi...
m
l
July 13, 2012 7:37:58 PM

Thanks retiredchief for your advise. However, I am still a little confused. On my present system I originally had the windows vista ultimate installed as my OS. Later on I upgraded to widows 7 64-bit home premium. Now when I do get my new ssd and put it in my system, my question would be do I have to first install windows vista ultimate to the ssd, then use windows 7 upgrade dvd to install the new OS. Would that mean that I would have backup all my data, uninstall windows 7 from my HDD, then disconnect the HDD in order to install the new OS on the ssd.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 4:13:51 PM

1) "would be do I have to first install windows vista ultimate to the ssd" - NO
But you would need to select CUSTOM install on your Upragde Windows disk.
Then follow my Method (prefered), or the double install posted by Area51.
**Don't for get to verify, or change Bios to, AHCI befor installing win 7 on SSD.

2) On HDD. First do not wipe anything on the HDD, Just disconnect it.
.. Once installation of Windows on SSD is complete. set Boot priority to the SSD.
.. Untill you want to delete the OS on the HDD you will be able to Daul boot to either the SSD or the HDD by hitting the Boot menu Key during post. On my gigabyte MBs it is F12, on My Asrock MB it is F11 (Check your manual). If you do Not hit the F Key the system will boot to the SSD and you will have access to all of your data. NOTE: You can simply copy your Files in your Favorities folder form the HDD -> the SSD. And then can deside on the best method to deal with HDD. IE if you had partitioned the HDD so that only the Operating system + programs were on C-drive and all of your data was on D-drive you could simply reformat C-Drive.

One cavet. IF the Windows 7 Installation On the HDD was done with the BIOS set to IDE then you woulod need to correct this - NOT hard,
SEE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
July 14, 2012 5:21:40 PM

Why not install the drive, format and clone the current OS partition over to the SSD?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 5:30:40 PM

^ Cloning is great when going from HDD -> HDD, or from SSD-> SSD; But, when going HDD-> SSD the best method is a clean install. This is not always possible and as an alternative cloning, or migrating, is the only option.
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:42:23 PM

Hmm?

Figured it wouldn't be a problem as long as the primary partition was shrunk, or small enough rather, to be cloned right over to another drive.

Couldn't OP just create a system image and install from that?

Area51 mentioned also installing from the upgrade media itself.

A few years ago Gateway had sent me a Win. 7 upgrade disk for my notebook (which was running Vista) and some time later the drive died. So in short, I bought a new drive and it in fact, installed Win. 7.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2012 6:28:36 PM

RussK1 said:
Hmm?

Figured it wouldn't be a problem as long as the primary partition was shrunk, or small enough rather, to be cloned right over to another drive.

Couldn't OP just create a system image and install from that?

Area51 mentioned also installing from the upgrade media itself.

A few years ago Gateway had sent me a Win. 7 upgrade disk for my notebook (which was running Vista) and some time later the drive died. So in short, I bought a new drive and it in fact, installed Win. 7.

Partitions on an SSD have to be properly aligned. When partitions are created natively on an SSD this is never a problem, but when a platter drive is binary cloned to an SSD it can be. Some partition management software will adjust for this automatically but many will not.
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:39:56 PM

Best answer selected by mpere.
m
l
!