Xp Service Pack 2 And FS2004

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 30, 2004 4:23:14 PM

Back Again.
I have noticed that I am not the only one with the FS2004
that no longer runs after the installation of XP SP2. The
Flight School, however, still functions. I have been into
the readme files and the troubleshooting, to no avail. It
will also load in the dafe mode, but my video card is a
Radeon 9200, 128 mb, funtioned great before the SP2
download. And again after I restored back to a previous
SP2 installation date. Problem is , my system was updated
with SP2 again and the same scenario also .
Has anyone with the same problem found a cure??

Are there any folks on this news group that work for
Microsoft??

Thanks

More about : service pack fs2004

September 30, 2004 5:15:35 PM

Carter -
SP2 seems to have frequently updated video drivers to
something more or less generic. Go to ATI's web-site
and download/install the latest driver recommended for
your card. This has helped others with the same problem.

If there are MSFT people reading/responding to this
newsgroup, they are not admitting it. Would you?

September 30, 2004 6:03:55 PM

For all of those who are interested, I have just
reinstated my FS9 by using the System Restore point prior
to SP2. This time I had to reinstall FS9 because
file "demo4km.bgl" was missing. Not a problem. I just
reinstalled and it works again.
I also just noticed that my AC97 acoustics 6 channel
speakers do not work properly. The r/rear output is now
from the Woofer, and the l/rear is now from the front
center.
SP2 undoubtly make changes in ones program which include
some drivers and who knows what else at this point?
Presently I am behind a broadband router and do not feel
the need for SP2 for security.
I will say that it has a great pop up blocker but it
should have been tested , at least on Microsofts own
products before it was released.
Hopefully this is of some help to someone.

Thanks again.

September 30, 2004 6:44:45 PM

Microsoft people do read various newsgroups, some more often than
others.
You will normally see "MSFT" after their name.
They are very common in the operating system and security newsgroups,
most likely others as well.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"noah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Carter -
> SP2 seems to have frequently updated video drivers to
> something more or less generic. Go to ATI's web-site
> and download/install the latest driver recommended for
> your card. This has helped others with the same problem.
>
> If there are MSFT people reading/responding to this
> newsgroup, they are not admitting it. Would you?
September 30, 2004 6:44:46 PM

Thanks. Already did that. No good.
And I guess I would not respond to it either..
I just restored the system back to Previous SP2, and
located antoher problem. The file"demo4km.bgl " turned up
missing fs9 so I had to reinstall again and this time it
works again.
Another problem I noted today was my 6 channel audio is
screwed up. R/rear output is now from the woofer and
l/rear output is now the front center. Don't know what
other problems were created as of yet but with a 3 month
old computer , I feel I should not have any?
I am behind a broadband router's firewire and really do
not feel the need for SP 2's security. I have an updated
anti-virus with McAffee, and will use a popup blocker
from yahoo.
I do feel that more extensive testing should have been
done on sp2 prior to it's release . Especially with their
own products.
Thanks for the help.
Carter

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:21:39 PM

Carter;
If you haven't already, go to the website of your sound card/computer
manufacturer and get the latest Windows XP sound drivers.
If you already have the latest, reinstall them.

As for testing, SP-2 is possibly the most tested piece of software
yet.
I know there were some that tested with FS2004 but with variations in
hardware and software complete testing is impossible.

When you are ready to install SP-2, make sure your computer is also
ready:

!