Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing a bare drive on my Sony Vaio, what drivers do I need?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2012 3:02:45 PM

The hard drive on my Sony Vaio recently took a dump, I've concluded that the only thing I can do is replace it, my question is will I be able to still watch blu-rays on it if I just download the drivers off the Sony website or will i need the recovery disc?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 3:17:19 PM

CJreye said:
The hard drive on my Sony Vaio recently took a dump, I've concluded that the only thing I can do is replace it, my question is will I be able to still watch blu-rays on it if I just download the drivers off the Sony website or will i need the recovery disc?

you need the recorvey disk for all the programs that came with the sony. you can install a clean image of windows onto the hard drive and the drivers needed to run the video card and sound from sony web page but you wont have any apps. you have to have the install disk for the apps or pay for new software and download it.
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:32:36 PM

You will also need to download the LAN driver from another computer so the laptop can get online. After that let windows install, anything else missing get from Sony's site.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2012 4:19:08 PM

I have the windows seven home premium install, not the update, but I don't have the recovery discs, I was going to order them online, does it matter which recovery discs I get or will any Sony vaio ones work?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2012 5:01:45 PM

Usually after installing Windows you have access to generic drivers for LAN, graphics, input. You can use that to go on Sony's website and download the specific drivers and software pertaining to our system from their Support section.
I would try that before ordering any recovery discs; it has worked for me for several Acer, Dell and HP laptops, I don't see a reason why it could not work for you.
July 13, 2012 8:15:25 PM

Best answer selected by CJreye.
m
l
!