1 cond. mic that can do vocals in stereo, battery powered?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 17, 2005 2:53:26 PM

I'm looking for a vocals mic (only for vocals). I read about somewhere
about a mic that was actually 2 mic's in one (1 shaft with two tiny
mic's attached to it), for doing vocals in stereo. It presumably has
both left & right output. Oh yea, and it could be battery powered so
no need for phantom power.

If anyone can remember which mic this might be, can you let me know?
My goal here is to reduce the # of wires around my computer: I won't
need multiple mic's, and I won't need a phantom power source == less
cords == wife is happy :)

Jason Shohet
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:09:52 PM

Well the idea is that there are 2 singers... I'm trying to get
something flexible enough that I don't have to keep layering vocals
onto vocals.
I remember what it was, the NT4.

Anyhow, I just realized another issue. If I went with the NT4, I spend
a lot of $$ and come out with something that won't work if a single
person sings straight down the middle, since its x-y arrangement is
really made for people singing from the side...

This is confusing :)  Alright maybe I should forget about having 2
people sing at the same time, and just get a decent battery powered
condenser mic for vocals, like the C1000...

Thanks Scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I'm looking for a vocals mic (only for vocals). I read about somewhere
> >about a mic that was actually 2 mic's in one (1 shaft with two tiny
> >mic's attached to it), for doing vocals in stereo. It presumably has
> >both left & right output. Oh yea, and it could be battery powered so
> >no need for phantom power.
>
> Why would you want to do vocals in stereo?
> --scott
June 17, 2005 3:27:38 PM

Ok i'll re-examine :)  Can you recommend a battery-powered mic for
vocals, that won't break the bank, that has generally better vocals
than the C1000...

Thanks
June 17, 2005 4:20:44 PM

Yes I see the NT4 isn't what I need for vocals, thanks for the
clarification on its usage.
Lets say i can go up a bit in $$, still want the battery-power, and
will be doing recording inside a room at home. And afterwards will be
adding delay etc. Perhaps something other than the EV 635A & the
C1000, perhaps something which can even make my voice sound better than
what it is... :)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:46:31 PM

Thanks
I did a google search, I didn't see tons of people using the EV 635A
for vocals, although someone indicated Elvis may have used it ... (is
it that old :)  )... But perhaps its a good mic for the job.
Do you have a recommendation if I go up to $200, and still want the
battery power?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:55:29 PM

xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm looking for a vocals mic (only for vocals). I read about somewhere
>about a mic that was actually 2 mic's in one (1 shaft with two tiny
>mic's attached to it), for doing vocals in stereo. It presumably has
>both left & right output. Oh yea, and it could be battery powered so
>no need for phantom power.

Why would you want to do vocals in stereo?
--scott
June 17, 2005 6:31:21 PM

xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Well the idea is that there are 2 singers... I'm trying to get
>something flexible enough that I don't have to keep layering vocals
>onto vocals.

So, put them around a single mike. Or put them around two mikes if
you want to pan them.

>I remember what it was, the NT4.

The NT4 is a microphone intended for far-field miking. It's not a vocal
mike.

Stereo miking vocals is possible, but it's only useful if you are in the
far field and trying to get the sound of the room, where stereo imaging is
important. And if you do it, everybody has to stay rock-solid and not
move a fraction of an inch. This is rather difficult.

>This is confusing :)  Alright maybe I should forget about having 2
>people sing at the same time, and just get a decent battery powered
>condenser mic for vocals, like the C1000...

I can't imagine a worse choice for anything. If you want two people
singing at the same time, you have no phantom power, and you have a
decent room and no budget, I'd try the EV 635A to begin with.
--scott

June 17, 2005 7:48:29 PM

In article <1119030806.435911.294100@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> jasonshohet@gmail.com writes:

> I'm looking for a vocals mic (only for vocals). I read about somewhere
> about a mic that was actually 2 mic's in one (1 shaft with two tiny
> mic's attached to it), for doing vocals in stereo. It presumably has
> both left & right output. Oh yea, and it could be battery powered so
> no need for phantom power.

There are several mics like that. It's called a single point stereo
mic. Audio Technica makes several, with a wide range of prices (and
quality). See this page for their line. http://tinyurl.com/85po6

Sony has a couple, Aiwa used to have a few and maybe still do, and
there are more serious ones from Shure, AKG, Neumann and Studio
Projects, to name a few.

I'm not sure why you'd want a stereo mic for vocals though. These are
sometimes used for live man-in-the-street interviews to pick up the
ambient sound in stereo, but generaly solo vocals are recorded in mono
unless you're after a pronounced ambient effect that you can't get
from a box (or program).

June 17, 2005 9:22:27 PM

xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes I see the NT4 isn't what I need for vocals, thanks for the
>clarification on its usage.
>Lets say i can go up a bit in $$, still want the battery-power, and
>will be doing recording inside a room at home. And afterwards will be
>adding delay etc. Perhaps something other than the EV 635A & the
>C1000, perhaps something which can even make my voice sound better than
>what it is... :)

How about the EV RE-20? You can only put one person on mike at a time,
though, so you'll need two.
--scott
June 17, 2005 9:28:30 PM

xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>I did a google search, I didn't see tons of people using the EV 635A
>for vocals, although someone indicated Elvis may have used it ... (is
>it that old :)  )... But perhaps its a good mic for the job.

It's been around since the fifties. It's an omni, so you can easily
put two people on one mike, but you need a good room. Everybody has
used it for something at some point, and it's a very popular voiceover
mike.

>Do you have a recommendation if I go up to $200, and still want the
>battery power?

The 635A. At least if you want to put two people on a mike.
--scott

June 17, 2005 9:29:49 PM

In article <1119037591.064860.299670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks
>I did a google search, I didn't see tons of people using the EV 635A
>for vocals, although someone indicated Elvis may have used it ... (is
>it that old :)  )... But perhaps its a good mic for the job.

Actually, let me correct that. The 635A has been around since the late
sixties, but the capsule design is a miniaturized version of one that
is a decade older. It's a lot easier to make a good cheap omni than a
good cheap cardioid.
--scott
June 17, 2005 9:57:19 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:53:26 -0400, xz wrote
(in article <1119030806.435911.294100@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> I'm looking for a vocals mic (only for vocals). I read about somewhere
> about a mic that was actually 2 mic's in one (1 shaft with two tiny
> mic's attached to it), for doing vocals in stereo. It presumably has
> both left & right output. Oh yea, and it could be battery powered so
> no need for phantom power.
>
> If anyone can remember which mic this might be, can you let me know?
> My goal here is to reduce the # of wires around my computer: I won't
> need multiple mic's, and I won't need a phantom power source == less
> cords == wife is happy :)
>
> Jason Shohet

AT 822.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:41:25 PM

In article <1119037591.064860.299670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> jasonshohet@gmail.com writes:

> I did a google search, I didn't see tons of people using the EV 635A
> for vocals, although someone indicated Elvis may have used it ... (is
> it that old :)  )...

Yes, it IS that old, but then "Elvis used an XYZ mic" is kind of like
"George Washington slept here." But whether Elvis used it or not is
irrelevant to whether it would be a good choice for you. It's a
perfectly reasonable mic for vocals, even duo or group vocals. No
power required.

> Do you have a recommendation if I go up to $200, and still want the
> battery power?

It sounds like you're fixated on condenser mics. Understand that
condenser mics with internal battery power are generally fairly low
grade mics. You can do better with a decent dynamic mic (which is what
the EV 635 is).

June 17, 2005 11:07:27 PM

xz wrote:

> I remember what it was, the NT4.

> Anyhow, I just realized another issue. If I went with the
NT4, I
> spend a lot of $$ and come out with something that won't
work if a
> single person sings straight down the middle, since its
x-y
> arrangement is really made for people singing from the
side...

Where did you get that idea?

One of the benefits of coincident mics is that you get very
good mono compatibility. IOW, a source that is right down
the axis of the pair is well-reproduced if you simply sum
the two mic outputs together.

> This is confusing :)  Alright maybe I should forget about
having 2
> people sing at the same time, and just get a decent
battery powered
> condenser mic for vocals, like the C1000...

The C1000 - one of the most widely despised mics of all
times?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:59:06 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:27:38 -0700, xz wrote:

> Ok i'll re-examine :)  Can you recommend a battery-powered mic for
> vocals, that won't break the bank, that has generally better vocals than
> the C1000...

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has made one at some time or other. But I'm
ricking my brain & I can't think of a single battery powered mic I'd
recommend for much of anything.

But there are a BUNCH of perfectly good dynamic mics that don't even need
batteries & will do a much better job for less money than a C1000. The
635a (like Scott said), ND/767, AE6100, OM3, hell, even an SM57 or SM58
into a Mackie will beat a C1000.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:59:07 PM

Agent 86 <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:27:38 -0700, xz wrote:
>
>> Ok i'll re-examine :)  Can you recommend a battery-powered mic for
>> vocals, that won't break the bank, that has generally better vocals than
>> the C1000...
>
>I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has made one at some time or other. But I'm
>ricking my brain & I can't think of a single battery powered mic I'd
>recommend for much of anything.

What about the old U87?
Well, it's not under $200....
--scott

June 18, 2005 12:22:16 AM

"xz" <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well the idea is that there are 2 singers... I'm trying to get
> something flexible enough that I don't have to keep layering vocals
> onto vocals.
> I remember what it was, the NT4.
>
> Anyhow, I just realized another issue. If I went with the NT4, I spend
> a lot of $$ and come out with something that won't work if a single
> person sings straight down the middle, since its x-y arrangement is
> really made for people singing from the side...

So you'll have a single person singing from the side. And you'll record that
side only, in mono.

> This is confusing :)  Alright maybe I should forget about having 2
> people sing at the same time, and just get a decent battery powered
> condenser mic for vocals, like the C1000...

You might want to re-examine that particular choice.

Predrag
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:42:47 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:31:06 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Agent 86 <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote:
>>I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has made one at some time or other. But
>>I'm ricking my brain & I can't think of a single battery powered mic I'd
>>recommend for much of anything.
>
> What about the old U87?
> Well, it's not under $200....

Yeah, and I almost mentioned a Crown/Realistic PZM. But it's not really
that good until you get rid of the battery. And I'd sooner take a
beating than use one on vocals. (but I know SOMEBODY's gonna say they love
it for vocals).
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:51:55 AM

> Ok i'll re-examine :)  Can you recommend a battery-powered mic for
> vocals, that won't break the bank, that has generally better vocals
> than the C1000...
>
> Thanks

You can check the Rode NT3 for starters.

Predrag
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:21:55 PM

In article <1119037591.064860.299670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
jasonshohet@gmail.com says...
> Thanks
> I did a google search, I didn't see tons of people using the EV 635A
> for vocals, although someone indicated Elvis may have used it ... (is
> it that old :)  )... But perhaps its a good mic for the job.
> Do you have a recommendation if I go up to $200, and still want the
> battery power?

I have gotten good vocal recordings with an Audio Technica ATM31a. It's a
battery powered electret condenser mic, and it's around US$150. Of
course, it really depends on the voice..
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:03:48 PM

The reason I'm fixated on condenser mics is, I have a PCR-A30 keyboard,
and a laptop. I don't want any other devices to clutter up things. I
have an external firewall 410 (m-audio) which can do phantom power, but
I'm trying to reduce the # of wires -- for my wife ;)
So my PCR-A30 keyboard does NOT provide phantom power (which is sinful,
for such an expensive keyboard), just has a 1/4" mic inlet. So with my
dynamic mic - which I already have - I have to record, then normalize,
then I have all this hiss that I have to remove, which is difficult to
do without distorting the sound. So my thoughts are "To avoid extra
cables, a battery powered condenser mic would do the trick"... Thats
what has led me down this path... I know its a silly reason - but my
wife is on my case about the cables...
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:15:44 PM

In article <1119459828.016199.242070@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
xz <jasonshohet@gmail.com> wrote:
>The reason I'm fixated on condenser mics is, I have a PCR-A30 keyboard,
>and a laptop. I don't want any other devices to clutter up things. I
>have an external firewall 410 (m-audio) which can do phantom power, but
>I'm trying to reduce the # of wires -- for my wife ;)
>So my PCR-A30 keyboard does NOT provide phantom power (which is sinful,
>for such an expensive keyboard), just has a 1/4" mic inlet. So with my
>dynamic mic - which I already have - I have to record, then normalize,
>then I have all this hiss that I have to remove, which is difficult to
>do without distorting the sound. So my thoughts are "To avoid extra
>cables, a battery powered condenser mic would do the trick"... Thats
>what has led me down this path... I know its a silly reason - but my
>wife is on my case about the cables...

If your converters are noisy, using a higher output microphone might
help hide the noise, but to be honest if they are that noisy, they are
probably lousy in other ways as well.
--scott