Closed Solved

CRC Errors with downloaded files

Hello,i have this crc error problem for like 1 month now. When i download archive type files with utorrent (or other clients) i get crc errors while downloading or after downloading when i try to extract the archives. This happens only to large files (3gb+). I used Memtest86 and got no errors,also used windows 7's test for memory errors and got no errors. When i checked my HDD for bad sectors i got 7 bad sectors (HD Tune).I changed my network cable,HDD cable...still the same problem. What can i do?Is it the HDD? Can i still use it?
32 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about errors downloaded files
  1. Is this system overclocked?
  2. What are you using to extract?
  3. It was,but now i have updated my bios and reseted all changes to default.
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    What are you using to extract?

    I use winrar and 7zip...both give me the same errors on downloaded files. Many files don't even get there because i get crc errors while downloading(with utorrent or bittorrent).
  5. I see , because my brother had issues like this after he OC'D.
  6. Have you reinstalled them since you went back to default settings.
  7. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Have you reinstalled them since you went back to default settings.


    Utorrent and the archivers? No.
  8. Sometimes it works.
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Sometimes it works.

    I am now running chkdsk then i will reinstall the apps. I'll inform you if any changes or other stuff.
  10. anonymous1 said:
    Can you get the files somewhere besides a torrent?

    i dont understand the question. i download stuff from torrent trackers that i cant download from somewhere else.
  11. it could be your network card is going and is losing packets. or your memory or cpu cache has an issue and it damaging the files. if you have more then one dimm try and remove one dimm and see if the same files goes bad. if someone has another nic card or wifi card or usb stick try it and see if it your nic card causing the issue.
  12. ady0904 said:
    i dont understand the question. i download stuff from torrent trackers that i cant download from somewhere else.


    Translation - I'm downloading illegal software that I'm not willing to buy.

    Were you ever able to download large files previously?

    Are you downloading it to the same drive that you were originally (filesystem type/OS?). Do you have enough space on the drive your archive software uses for a temp directory?
  13. namdlo said:
    Translation - I'm downloading illegal software that I'm not willing to buy.

    Were you every able to download large files previously?

    Are you downloading it to the same drive that you were originally (filesystem type/OS?). Do you have enough space on the drive your archive software uses for a temp directory?


    Yes,i was able to download large files previously with no problems on the same drive with this OS and filesystem. Yes,i have enough space.

    Should i try to change the router?i have a spare one.
  14. Your provider is watching you!
  15. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Your provider is watching you!

    I dont know but i have neighbours who use torrents and they do fine.

    I want to say that when i download large image files they download with no problem.
  16. Maybe you changed from IDE to AHCI or vice versa? Happened to me once, had to reinstall Windows.


    ady0904 said:
    Hello,i have this crc error problem for like 1 month now. When i download archive type files with utorrent (or other clients) i get crc errors while downloading or after downloading when i try to extract the archives. This happens only to large files (3gb+). I used Memtest86 and got no errors,also used windows 7's test for memory errors and got no errors. When i checked my HDD for bad sectors i got 7 bad sectors (HD Tune).I changed my network cable,HDD cable...still the same problem. What can i do?Is it the HDD? Can i still use it?
  17. go into utorrent, click on name of download, hit force recheck. if that fails it was most likely a bad torrent to begin with. if you have another drive you could try downloading the files and extracting them to that drive (redownload them and extract onto the same fresh drive)

    Edit: you mentioned you get CRC errors when you try and extract it while its downloading... why in hell would you do that? make sure the files are all completely downloaded before doing anything.
  18. ady0904 said:
    I dont know but i have neighbours who use torrents and they do fine.

    I want to say that when i download large image files they download with no problem.


    :o Sounds to me like you're being watched by the government. I'd expect your front door to be broken down in the next few days. Your computer's going to be confiscated and you'll end up in a small jail cell with a guy named Bubba. Don't worry Bubba will probably "protect" you :ouch:.
  19. mouse24 said:
    go into utorrent, click on name of download, hit force recheck. if that fails it was most likely a bad torrent to begin with. if you have another drive you could try downloading the files and extracting them to that drive (redownload them and extract onto the same fresh drive)

    Edit: you mentioned you get CRC errors when you try and extract it while its downloading... why in hell would you do that? make sure the files are all completely downloaded before doing anything.


    I dont extract while it's downloading. The error comes in utorrent while it's downloading or if not i get the error when i extract the files after they download.
  20. namdlo said:
    :o Sounds to me like you're being watched by the government. I'd expect your front door to be broken down in the next few days. Your computer's going to be confiscated and you'll end up in a small jail cell with a guy named Bubba. Don't worry Bubba will probably "protect" you :ouch:.


    you're not funny.
  21. Best answer
    when the last time you did a malware and a anti virus scan???
  22. smorizio said:
    when the last time you did a malware and a anti virus scan???


    I did...some days ago.Erased all the infected files.(not many)
  23. I'd just do a full format or try downloading with linux. to rule out possible infections.
  24. mouse24 said:
    I'd just do a full format or try downloading with linux. to rule out possible infections.

    I will do that eventually...but you dont have any sugestions to try before that?
  25. ady0904 said:
    I will do that eventually...but you dont have any sugestions to try before that?


    Other people might, I can't think of any atm though.
  26. Hi :)

    CRC errors can also be caused by a failing hard drive....

    Run a hard drive test in DOS... Hirens cd etc...

    All the best Brett :)
  27. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    CRC errors can also be caused by a failing hard drive....

    Run a hard drive test in DOS... Hirens cd etc...

    All the best Brett :)


    Yup, already established that. I would suggest he pop in a linux live cd and download his things to a flash drive and try to extract it there and see if he gets CRC errors.

    Should rule out if this problem is being caused by bad sectors or just shoddy downloads.
  28. Torrent is a synonym for Virus.
  29. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Torrent is a synonym for Virus.

    Runned another virus scan with nod32...deleted all infected foundings and it seems to work fine now.
  30. That's what torrents do they infect computers,because the majority of them are illegal material.
  31. I'm closing the thread,make sure to pick a best answer to your questions.Thanks for joining the forum.
  32. Best answer selected by ady0904.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7