Need to buy a new OS today. What choice to get Win7 Upgrade later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
So my new system parts arrived today. I am reading the information on the Win7 Upgrade program and I am confused.

My plan was/is to buy XP media center 32bit OEM.

Reading the release from MSFT, I can't tell if OEM software purchased qualifies. They are clear if you get it as part of a system you buy it qualifies, however they differentiate between OEM and retail software purchases. The difference in making the wrong choice is $100, which I would rather spend then hand to MSFT. :)

Information/advice appreciated.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
just use win7RC x64 (the hell would anyone buy XP 32bit right now??) and then upgrade when 7 retail releases.

or, (i think) if you buy vista right now, you'll get win7 as a free upgrade.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The reason someone might want an XP OS is because they want to set up a dual boot and have an XP OS for specific applications that will run best on XP OS.

Currently depending upon you application (which requires research) Win7 may exhibit different problems until either Win7 has a further Rev or your application is patched for Win7.

Vista is an option but the issue would be the same with regards to OEM software purchase.

I prefer in my situation (never migrated to Vista) for a few applications to keep a stable XP OS dual boot option.

So I am looking for information and advice on purchasing.

Thank you

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Due to my question in another thread, I am looking at the upgrade options too.

At the moment, it seems full information isn't available until tomorrow. But, from what I can gather from the upgrade path:

1. Vista Business = 7 Pro, Vista Home Premium = 7 Home Premium, Vista Ultimate = 7 Ultimate
2. XP Upgrade paths aren't posted yet. (I would assume Home = Home Premium & Pro = Pro. Media Center = ?...)
3. The cheaper pre-order period isn't for a very long time.
4. Without the vendor listing, it is impossible to know whether OEM purchased copies for custom built pc's can purchase the upgrade version at this very moment.
5. Buying the retail version of Vista in JULY should give you an upgrade voucher/system for the correct version of 7.

My thought is the following: (Since I am purchasing 2 OSs for new computers, and saving money is always good.)

1. Purchase copies of OEM Windows Vista now. (One of my copies is ok with Home Premium, the other must be Business.)
2a. Either recieve the Windows 7 upgrades for free. (Preferred)
2b. Or, pay the "cheaper upgrade price" via Microsoft during the promotional period. (Do you end up with an OEM or retail copy this way, though?...)

Or, I simply wait and buy the OEM Win 7 copy in October when it hits online retailers, and install the RC for now.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for your valuable advice.

I think based upon what you have written the logical thing for me to do is to build my system and use Win7 RC1 until July 1 (only a few days as I will build my system over the weekend).

Look at the clear information on XP OEM versions (if it comes out earlier great). If it will not allow for a "cheap" upgrade option, choose the best priced Vista/XP solution.

Key for me is to make sure I have a stable OS solution for certain applications until I choose to replace those apps or Win7 runs them smoothly.

Thank you

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
The upgrades (based on versions upto and including Vista, assuming 7 is the same) are all retail copies, but the upgrade can be applied to any OEM or Retail version.

Technically OEM copies are only for use in brand new machines (whether pruchased prebuilt or self-build), so if you build and use a PC with say Vista on it now you can not legally install Win 7 OEM on it in October (although loads of people probably do/will anyway).

So you really want to try and get a Vista that comes with a free upgrade to 7.

Also with Win 7 there "should" be no need for dual-booting with XP as it comes with a virtual XP which should work just like a native XP.

tongtonk

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
As a noob system builder, I'm still totally confused.

If I purchase Vista Home Premium OEM TODAY from a site such as Newegg, would I receive a free upgrade to WIN7 Home Premium October 22nd?

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Is this statement true?

It was my understanding that the XP Mode in Win 7 was using VT (which has limitations) and was not the same as a dual boot setup?

Tongtonk - No. You need to wait to July 1st for the "free" upgrade path and choose those options allowed.

It is most definitely Virtual, not native.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks Scotteq. Any idea on the XP OEM upgrade to win7 issue? Want to make sure I buy the right legacy OS with an upgrade path to Win7.

Thanks

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

I'm not an expert - but I don't think that's the case.

My understanding has always been that companies like Dell - HP - and other PC builder companies will offer a free Windows 7 upgrade to new PC purchases - mainly so that " would be PC purchasers " wouldn't hold off buying a new computer simply on the basis they are waiting for the new Windows 7 versions to be off the shelf. They would be entitled to a Windows 7 upgrade via download or voucher of some sort - so they buy the PC when they want a PC - rather than waiting around 6 months til the Vista inventory gets cleared out of marketplace.

I don't think that rule applies to an individual who builds his own PC. I just built my first PC a couple weeks ago - and am running Windows 7 RC just fine for free at the moment.

tongtonk

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for all the responses.

I planned to go with the Win7 RC until I can purchase the full version, but with today's announcement I thought that maybe I could purchase Vista now and simply get a free upgrade in October.

I would think if they are allowing this to happen with major computer vendors for the sake of encouraging consumers to buy now rather than wait, why not allow home builders the same courtesy?

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

* B/c home builders can use Windows 7 RC for free. Hence - it's not stopping you from purchasing parts for a PC build.

* Dell can't sell a PC with a Release Candidate

* Dell supplies large retailers like Best Buy and CompUSA. They don't build those PC's to order - they are built in quantity and sold to a warehouse for distribution. You need to clear that inventory in order to make room for new Win 7 versions to get shelf space. Msft doesn't want to hurt their largest distribution chain by putting a technology distribution lag on their PC sales during peak seasonal sales period as kids go back to school.

* Dell & HP sell millions of PC's and are the main distribution of their O/S to the general public. You are building 1 PC. They have alot more leverage to negotiate deals than you do.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Scotteq - Yes. However I want a XP/Vista option now (probably XP) for some apps I know are a problem for Win7 RC atm. My old computer I am replacing has a Dell XP media OEM which is not legally transferable to my Home Build (I do believe).

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
have you not read your own thread? i think a few people have pointed out that windows 7 has an XP virtual environment, so there is no need for XP. it is even included with win7 RC. i am not sure why you are being so stubborn to use RC. i just switched to win7 RC from XP, and i love it. ALL my applications work (including far more obscure apps than i think you are probably going to use) and it runs smoother, cleaner, and its FREE.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

mdale13 - Yes I have. Win7 Virtual XP is just that Virtual. It has many issues and problems (not debatable not interested in a debate). If you read this thread you will have noted that I have checked specific forums for specific applications I wish to use and have found significant reported issues at this time with Win 7 and those apps from actual users of both. Generic how wonderful Win7 is with unnamed applications and unreported system spec’s are anecdotal and not helpful. Things may change as either the apps or Win7 are patched, but as of today those issues remain.

Further this post was not intended for those who insist on bringing an unsolicited argument to this thread which is not relevant to the threads purpose.

All that was asked was if the OEM versions of XP (or Vista) purchased for a homebuilt system will be upgradeable under the MSFT plans.

tongtonk

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Update on my question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677

Looks like they will be selling Vista OEM with a Windows 7 upgrade included.

Price is $10 more than Vista OEM without the coupon.

Has the Windows 7 OEM price been released yet?

Do you think it is worth it to buy Vista now and get the upgrade or use the RC until the release and fresh install the release once it's out?

Thanks again for any opinions.

*I will be building a new system in the next week or two so I'm looking at using the RC or Vista as my primary OS until the Win7 final release - FYI.

halt

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Tongtonk - One additional point to consider. Look closely at the versions of Vista and Win7. "IF" you wish to use XP mode you will need Win7 Pro which requires a different purchase than if you only need Win 7 Home premium.

Here is the link.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102?WT.mc_id=msccomhpfeature_win7

I also am finding different offers at different online outlet's they may all have the same "rights" but each are choosing to advertise them differently. I would search a bit today. I am heading over to Fry's to see what they have directly in the store with regards to information.

XP Mode is available for free download for other versions, should you want/need it. Be advised, it *is* a Virtualized environment and therefore can't/won't be able to take advantage of hardware acceleration. So if you're looking to play games then you're better off Dual Booting

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
i read that xp mode is only available for download for profesional users, others do not have the right to do so

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
XP mode will only be available for Professional/Ultimate users, not Home Premium. (The RC is the ultimate version. Thus, at the moment, it is availble for download by all.)

Thank you for the answer on the XP mode virtualization question Scotteq. (Duel booting required for me.)

I also just bought parts for a computer build (a friend's i7 build), and I decided on the Vista with free Win 7 upgrade coupon route. That way, should be a seamless upgrade that doesn't require a complete new installation of the OS. (If you install the RC, then you will have to uninstall then reinstall.)

You cannot buy an upgrade Win 7 and just put it on a new machine. It must already be running a legit copy of Windows. (With Vista, the upgrade path is clear from version to version. This isn't so for XP. I still can't find anywhere that has the answer to my questions...)

Will Win XP Home upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium? Will Win XP Pro upgrade to Win 7 Pro?

kphed

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Could I expect a Win 7 RC backup to be restored to a fresh Win 7 Ultimate Retail...or is that wishful thinking?

Previous OEM versions of Windows will always be fully upgradable to the most current version of Windows. With XP I've heard that a clean install will be required vs. an in-place upgrade... but that might be more to do with 32-bit to 64-bit than XP itself. Either way, you don't have to have your original OS installed anyway... and a clean install is always preferable to an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.